BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you share the fact that the E60 M5 won’t have a V10 engine?

BMW M power people will modify and boast the current engine of the 745i to 500 hp properly the sane thing they did when the modified the 4.4i engine to 400 hp.

Please BMW M Power No V8 or TURBO.

Alpina FOR EVER

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
... but will be a V12... V16 LOL :hihi:

reguarding the 745 engine... maybe... sounds possible especially if they're going to use it in the new 5 ie 545i

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
A couple months ago I beleive the M brand manager said that the V8 has no more room for enhancements. A new block will be used in the E60 M5. Whether it be a V10 or V8, I have no clue. Just get 500 ponies out of it;) .

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
yep.. I don't care if it's V8 or a V10.. just give us at least 500hp.. besides, why would we care if it's a V10? sure, it'll be cool to say you have a V10 under the hood.. but if it means extra weight on a car that probably would be too heavy already, I say go with the V8...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hmmm....choices:

1. Tuned down F1 V10 engine.

2. Highly tuned production engine.

C'mon, all you have to do is say F1.

If it in any way is affiliated or derived from a real F1 engine and it's available for purschase to the public, then please do include my vote for it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry, I would rather have a V10 and maintain the M5's bragging rights as the fastest and most advanced (in terms of engine) sedan in the world.:D

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
hmmm... I think (and hope) that BMW engineering can extract more hp out of a V8, rather than have to go to a V10....

·
Registered
68 Posts
It will be a V10 for sure!:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
sigh... it will be a v8. i am too lazy to type again why it will be a v8. do a search on the topic.

alex
02 gts
few other cars

·
2,941 Posts
A detuned Formula 1 engine seems very unlikely considering:

1: F1 engines are limited to 3.0ltr displacement
2: Usable Rev renge is well above 10000RPM, max 18500RPM. This is not usable on street cars and especially not within the important US market where torque is important.
3: It won't be very reliable, a F1 engine only has to last 450km-500km. Developing an engine that has to last 100k++ miles will be impossible.

A V10 with at least 5.0 liters displacement will certainly one of the possibilities.

1: The new 6.0 litre V12 will provide for an excellent basis. Cut two cylinders and you get 5.0 litres!

2: Compared to a V8, a V10 allows smaller and thus lighter pistons and valves. There are a lot of benefits. The most important is that small cylinders are more efficient.

3: Compared to the V12, a V10 has smaller cranck-and camshafts. With smaller shafts, the magnitude of the torsional and harmonical vibrations are smaller. This allows a higher revving engine. Even compared to the older S38 and current S62 there may be benefits.

4: Last but not least, BMW already has gathered a lot of production experiences with a V10, the F1 engines.

Rgrds,

RAymond

·
Registered
911 Posts
Whatever it has under the hood, one thing will be certain: it'll be an eye sore...:rolleyes:

ALX

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have it from the highest authority, although I can't say who, That it will be a V 10 in both the ///M5 and ///M6. However I could care less as long as it get's the ponies near 500!
There is no doubt the V 10 will be in both M's
:cheers:

·
Registered
557 Posts
raymond woertman said:
A detuned Formula 1 engine seems very unlikely considering:

1: F1 engines are limited to 3.0ltr displacement
2: Usable Rev renge is well above 10000RPM, max 18500RPM. This is not usable on street cars and especially not within the important US market where torque is important.
3: It won't be very reliable, a F1 engine only has to last 450km-500km. Developing an engine that has to last 100k++ miles will be impossible.

A V10 with at least 5.0 liters displacement will certainly one of the possibilities.

1: The new 6.0 litre V12 will provide for an excellent basis. Cut two cylinders and you get 5.0 litres!

2: Compared to a V8, a V10 allows smaller and thus lighter pistons and valves. There are a lot of benefits. The most important is that small cylinders are more efficient.

3: Compared to the V12, a V10 has smaller cranck-and camshafts. With smaller shafts, the magnitude of the torsional and harmonical vibrations are smaller. This allows a higher revving engine. Even compared to the older S38 and current S62 there may be benefits.

4: Last but not least, BMW already has gathered a lot of production experiences with a V10, the F1 engines.

Rgrds,

RAymond
This was a really great, and very informative post. Thank you very very much for that enlightening bit of knowledge and common sense. :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
raymond woertman said:

Rgrds,

RAymond
Great post Raymond, as usual...:)

I can already see the marketing people having a field day by using a V10 in the new M5.

"Our F1 race winning experience has enabled us design the new BMW M5 V10 Engine. The new M5 has the most powerful engine in its class...." blah blah :hihi: :hihi:

Carl

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Dammit, why don't they just find a way to use their technology to create a more useable and reliable (i.e. no gold foil needed, etc.) version of the McLaren F1 V12 putting out 627 hp?:crying:

If they did, it will surely end all worries about that pesky SL55 or E55, or even the 996 turbo...

Their coolest engine is already in their stable...:thumbsup:

Now, if only they could make the car look cool!

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
raymond woertman said:
Because the S70/1 engine will never meet todays emmision limits of the US and Europe.

Rgrds,

RAymond
Really why not? I'm sure if they have the technology to figure out the engine they can figure out the emissions too. :) :thumbsup:

·
2,941 Posts
Because that is one of the primary reasons why production of the 850CSi ceased in 1997 or 1998. The 850CSi has the S70B56 engine with SOHC cylinder heads.

I also read that the X5 LM with the Lemans V12 would never come into production in that form because of the same reason.

Rgrds,

Raymond

1 - 20 of 22 Posts