BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering why Europe has 507hp and in North America we only have 500. Is it because of the emissions or the way they calculate it? And how about the M3? Why does europe get 343 and we only get 333?

Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
It's just the emission standards for each country! Smog regulations limit the amount of HP, but as for the M5 both 500/507 is equal the same. It's only 7 HP less in N.A.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
No, it's not different due to emissions. It's the same amount of power expressed in two different, though very similar, measures.

Tom

·
Registered
430 Posts
Rocket M5 said:
It's just the emission standards for each country! Smog regulations limit the amount of HP, but as for the M5 both 500/507 is equal the same. It's only 7 HP less in N.A.
???:confused2

im sure you mixed sth. up...;)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've read here and on other BMW sites that people who have dyno tested their E60 M5s came up with more like 530 hp. It is rumored that BMW chose 507 as pure romance for the famous and very collectible BMW 507. But that may be myth!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
BMW is often a bit conservative in stating their power, and there is also some variability among the individuals cars, so I suspect they express power near the minimum range of what one can expect.

However, I did not see 530hp in the one dyno test we've had posted here.

Tom

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
bernhtp said:
BMW is often a bit conservative in stating their power, and there is also some variability among the individuals cars, so I suspect they express power near the minimum range of what one can expect.

However, I did not see 530hp in the one dyno test we've had posted here.

Tom
Well, of course it doesn't have 530rwhp - that would be a REAL monster!!!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
It didn't seem to have 530hp at the crank inferred from the measured rwhp with normal drivetrain losses plugged in.

Tom

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
bernhtp said:
It didn't seem to have 530hp at the crank inferred from the measured rwhp with normal drivetrain losses plugged in.

Tom
I saw the dyno results, and I believe it tested at 420 rwhp, which would give you right about 500 HP at the crank for a good manual transmission.

·
Registered
839 Posts
My belief here is that they are both 507hp. If you look at the new 550i, the stated horsepower is around 364hp, but the website shows it at 360hp. I think BMW just likes to clean things up for us Americans as we like our numbers rounded and clean...ouich

I believe our the outgoing E39 had 394hp, but everything would say 400hp. Am I wrong on the figures there? Someone please tell me I am right because my new license plate has the numbers 507 on it. :M5thumbs:

bernhtp said:
I believe it was closer to 430rwhp, but still a good ways from an adjusted 530hp at the crank.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
The difference between the 507 and 500 hp specification is simply the difference between the SAE and DIN measurement methods. The bottom line is:

507 HP DIN = 500 HP SAE

Here's a good explaination of both:

SAE Net Horspower In 1972, American manufacturers phased in SAE net horsepower. This is the standard on which current American ratings are based. This rating is measured at the flywheel, on an engine dyno, but the engine is tested with all accessories installed, including a full exhaust system, all pumps, the alternator, the starter, and emissions controls. Both SAE net and SAE gross horsepower test procedures are documented in Society of Automotive Engineers standard J1349. Because SAE net is so common, this is the standard we will use to compare all others. DIN Horsepower This is a standard, DIN 70020, for measuring horsepower that very closely matches SAE net. The conditions of the test vary slightly, but the required equipment on the engine and the point of measurement (flywheel) remains the same. Because the test conditions are so similar, it is safe to divide DIN horsepower by 1.0139 to arrive at SAE net. This value is so close to equal that for all but the most technical purposes DIN and SAE net are interchangeable

·
Registered
839 Posts
So with that being said, can I run around with 507 on my plates in the states.

The rain in Maine falls mainly on the plain...

Otherwise, for the people in the know, am I good running around with 507 on the plates, or should I eat the $40 and think of a new plate?

Is the rationale thus: It is a German mechanical wonder, and therefore, should be subject to European horsepower standards? The hell with the rest?

Wolverine said:
The difference between the 507 and 500 hp specification is simply the difference between the SAE and DIN measurement methods. The bottom line is:

507 HP DIN = 500 HP SAE

Here's a good explaination of both:

SAE Net Horspower In 1972, American manufacturers phased in SAE net horsepower. This is the standard on which current American ratings are based. This rating is measured at the flywheel, on an engine dyno, but the engine is tested with all accessories installed, including a full exhaust system, all pumps, the alternator, the starter, and emissions controls. Both SAE net and SAE gross horsepower test procedures are documented in Society of Automotive Engineers standard J1349. Because SAE net is so common, this is the standard we will use to compare all others. DIN Horsepower This is a standard, DIN 70020, for measuring horsepower that very closely matches SAE net. The conditions of the test vary slightly, but the required equipment on the engine and the point of measurement (flywheel) remains the same. Because the test conditions are so similar, it is safe to divide DIN horsepower by 1.0139 to arrive at SAE net. This value is so close to equal that for all but the most technical purposes DIN and SAE net are interchangeable

·
Registered
448 Posts
Simple really. In the old days the horses in America walk in feet. When horses were sold to Europe for movie making they could only walk in metres. As the riders were metricated. cherrsagai cherrsagai

simple.

·
Registered
839 Posts
But the difference in walking in feet and walking metricated cherrsagai seems to be greater than 7hp over the vastness of the 500hp realm. No? The question remains for me... Should I ditch the plates and start anew, or cherrsagai and enjoy the ride? No drinking and driving. But should I just live in the 507 realm?

M5DAL said:
Simple really. In the old days the horses in America walk in feet. When horses were sold to Europe for movie making they could only walk in metres. As the riders were metricated. cherrsagai cherrsagai

Not

simple.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi all, Just got back from the Frankfurt IAA auto show, it was awesome. I spoke with Mr Felix Bast a manager at M at the Motorsport area reagarding several questions/answers I will post later. However regarding HP figures in regards to others which have posted dyno results showing more, he did say that they will provide a car with the stated Hp figures regardless, so all the cars produced will have at least 507hp. That tells me you could easily get a good engine with 5% more power. Pic of AC Schnitzer M5!

Attachments

·
Registered
839 Posts
So I'm good having a 507 on my plates here in the US? I guess I'll take it!

Thanks!

warrenatc said:
Hi all, Just got back from the Frankfurt IAA auto show, it was awesome. I spoke with Mr Felix Bast a manager at M at the Motorsport area reagarding several questions/answers I will post later. However regarding HP figures in regards to others which have posted dyno results showing more, he did say that they will provide a car with the stated Hp figures regardless, so all the cars produced will have at least 507hp. That tells me you could easily get a good engine with 5% more power. Pic of AC Schnitzer M5!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts