BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BMW Delivery Center (Munich, Germany)

I'm thinking about going over to Germany and taking delivery of the car at the Munich Delivery Center. It seems like a good idea to test the car on the Autobahn before bringing it home, provided the break-in rules will allow. Anybody go this route? Is it more trouble that its worth? I understand there's lots of paperwork involved and there is always the risk something may happen to the car before I get it home or during shipping. I'm not too worried about that, but I'd like to hear from some of you guys that have done it.

The USA Option: BMW Performance Center and Zentrum Museum (South Carolina, USA)

BMW Zentrum -

Race cars, motorcycles, and lots of BMW history.

From the BMW Zentrum web site:
"The Zentrum is more than housing space for historical displays. It is a bridge between BMW and the community. Designed in the shape of a crescent moon, it is a technological achievement and architectural wonder that is enjoyed from outside as well as inside."

BMW Performance Driving School

M School looks like loads of fun. According to the BMWUSA web site, the advanced M driving course "...takes place at Lowe’s Motor Speedway in Charlotte, North Carolina, using the infield and NASCAR course." Imagine driving a new E60 M5 around a NASCAR track at 140-150 MPH (very easy for this car). What does that feel like? I may get the chance to find out.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You know, I have been going back and forth on this for awhile, and I finally decided it wasn't worth it.

From what I have heard, no discounts will be given (as there are with series cars). So, full price either way. Strike 1.

The break-in period you mentioned. Can I put enough miles on it to get past the breakin to open it up? What about the first service? Strike 2.

The car is speed limited, so you really won't be able to really run it out... ok, so it is still over 150... call it a foul ball.

The locations I would be taking the car have very poor parking situations, rough roads, etc. I would definately be taking it outside of Germany. Strike 3.

The long wait for it to arrive here. Strike 4.

Not getting to rag the snot out of BMW's own cars at the performance center. Strike 5.

Possible insurance issues if something were to happen to the car. I have heard multiple stories on this, but on a $80k car... not sure I am willing to risk it. Strike 6.

If I think about it more, I can come up with 3 more to finish up the inning.

Basically, I decided to do performance center delivery.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I took delivery of my 545 in Munich and it was great. The tech's there told me that after a few hundred miles, I could take it to 4500 rpm 'or so' on the autobahn (which for me turned out to be just over 150 mph). The main issue in the first few hundred miles is the brakes. Once you have that under your belt, you just need to vary the rpm and not stress the engine (no more than 3/4 throttle, under 4500 rpm). Of course, I violated each of these rules briefly, and not to a great degree. (I think I was close to 5000 rpm in 6th on a long, straight downhill section on the autobahn.)

I've pretty much decided to take delivery of the M5 here in the US mostly for the reasons vndkshn outlined. If I could figure out how to stay in Europe long enough to get the M5 through the break-in, then I would head to the 'ring. I think it would be torture to drive the car in the 'ring under break-in constraints though. The waiting would also kill me, since it's about 6-8 weeks after you drop the car off (I dropped off in Frankfurt). So, I'll get it here, and probably track it a fair amount.

·
Registered
434 Posts
vndkshn said:
You know, I have been going back and forth on this for awhile, and I finally decided it wasn't worth it.

From what I have heard, no discounts will be given (as there are with series cars). So, full price either way. Strike 1.

The break-in period you mentioned. Can I put enough miles on it to get past the breakin to open it up? What about the first service? Strike 2.

The car is speed limited, so you really won't be able to really run it out... ok, so it is still over 150... call it a foul ball.

The locations I would be taking the car have very poor parking situations, rough roads, etc. I would definately be taking it outside of Germany. Strike 3.

The long wait for it to arrive here. Strike 4.

Not getting to rag the snot out of BMW's own cars at the performance center. Strike 5.

Possible insurance issues if something were to happen to the car. I have heard multiple stories on this, but on a $80k car... not sure I am willing to risk it. Strike 6.

If I think about it more, I can come up with 3 more to finish up the inning.

Basically, I decided to do performance center delivery.
Thanks Vndkshn (BTW, what the heck does that stand for???) :confused2

Anyway, I'm not a baseball fan but you brought my European fantasy back to reality in a hurry! I think I'll take delivery in Toronto. Anyone know if we get the BMW Performance center option when we buy in Canada?

Thx.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Mark540iMSport said:
Anyone know if we get the BMW Performance center option when we buy in Canada?

Thx.
Mark:

Unfortunately, the answer is no. Notwithstanding the physical proximity, BMW Canada Inc. and BMW of North America, LLC are very separate corporate entities. As the BMW Performance Center is owned by BMWNA, LLC, BMW Canada Inc. has absolutely no rights to use it for its customers. Why don't you ask BMW Canada Inc. to set up its own Performance Centre in Whitby (H.Q. of BMW Canada Inc.), although I suspect the size of the Canadian market (about one-tenth the size of the U.S. market) would not justify it.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Mark540iMSport said:
Thanks Vndkshn (BTW, what the heck does that stand for???) :confused2
Try saying it phonetically: vn--d--k--shn. I'm guessing it's a 'long' K sound....

-Dave

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
doug said:
I took delivery of my M5 at the Performance Center, and it was fantastic. In addition to being treated like a king, having the opportunity to do my breakin miles on the mountain roads of the Blue Ridge range was priceless. I would do it again in a heartbeat!
I did one of the early Spartanburg deliveries in March of 2000. I, too, would do it again in a heartbeat, for all the reasons stated above.

I'll probably do it again.

-Dave

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
I took European delivery of an M3 and it was a terrific experience, and one that I would repeat without hesitation with the M5. However, according to BMWNA's European Delivery department, European delivery will not be available on the E60 M5. That status could change in a few years (as, I believe, it did with some previous M models), but this is the official word for now.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Would you mind explaining the "vn--d--k--shn" for me? Being deaf, I can't figure out what it means even when I try saying it outloud a couple times....Thanks!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Teutonaddict said:
Try saying it phonetically: vn--d--k--shn. I'm guessing it's a 'long' K sound....

-Dave
Nice! It is kinda cool when someone gets it.

Long story made (somewhat) short...

It goes back to high school and the years following. My highschool principle used to ride me hard (in his defense, my 10th grade year was pretty rough.. talk about rebel!), but junior and especially senior year I straightened up. He still gave me heartaches, accusing me of everything (skipping classes, etc). Finally my mother saw through him and pulled me from the school. He said I would never amount to anything. I got enrolled in another school and did fine, got my education, etc. Enter girlfriend. Some "friends" of her family did not approve of me (since I wasn't Portuguese), and they always said that she and I would let love get in the way and we would never amount to anything and that we would never stay together.

So, when we did amount to something (and 10 years later together and going strong), and I bought my first Viper (should have never sold it... but hey), I decided that it combined with the rest of our life, was vindication for the grief that we had been given for all of those years. So, that spelling was the only way I could fit it on the license plate.

As for Euro delivery, I suspect that the break-in on the V10 will be pretty long in comparison to the 545 unfortunately. While I don't remember specifics, I remember the E39 M5's break-in to be much more of a pain than the 530 I have. With the 530, the sales guy said "Keep it under 100MPH and don't use the cruise for the first 100 (or 500) miles and no sustained high RPMs." Nothing special. The M was another thing all together.

Mark, I am not a huge fan of baseball either... but I still think in those terms when making decisions sometimes, just to make it cut and dry for me. I just added up the few positives and compared to numerous negatives. Ideally, I would love to spend a long time in Europe, allowing for the break-in period to pass (by a comfortable margin) so I could really open it up. But since that is not really an option...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts