BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From 4car's news section:

28/11/2003

"BMW's 5-Series saloon and 6-Series coupe are likely to be offered with the 6.0-litre V12 engine used in the 445 bhp 760i. The company has trademarked the names '660' and '560', as well as '650', indicating a 5.0-litre engine, indicating its intent to produce such models. A glimpse at a list of trademarks recently filed also shows that the company is considering 125, 130 and 130 models (the new 1-Series hatchback), 225 and 230 (small coupe), 425, 430 and 435 (mid-sized coupe) models, as well as something called 'H7' - perhaps a luxury saloon/station wagon crossover based on the 7-Series platform."

Source & more info: http://www.channel4.com/apps26/4car/jsp/main.jsp?lnk=211&id=6300

Could this be true? If so, I guess it'll be more comfort orientated models than the M5 / M6 with almost the same HP.

I am actually more surprised BMW hasn't announced 630Cd or 640Cd diesel-versions of the e63 yet, because I think such models would sell really well, especially in Europe.

Regards, :byebye:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I doubt BMW will shot themselves in the foot by creating a product too similar to the M5. This is why the E46 M3 is not available as a four door (whereas the previous M3 was) - a four door E46 M3 would have eaten into the E39 M5 market as it would have been signifcantly cheaper than the M5.

Do you remember the L6/M6 variants of the old 635CSI? These were luxury & Motorsport variants of the same car and would probably work as distinct cars with the new 6 as well.

Interestingly, Autocar this week are saying that the new 545i will be replaced in 2005 with a 550i - anyone know if this is true either :confused3

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
True about 545,545,745 and 645 will be replaced with 550i,750i and 650i (5.0 liter engine developing around 400hp)
It's not my prediction,BMW has already reserved these designations and is well advanced in introducing this powerplant soon.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I don't see the market for a 560 as the 760 is about $40k more than the 745 with the only real difference being the V15 engine. Few go for this upgrade in the 7, and I don't see anyone wanting it in a 5, especially when a faster (and cheaper) M5 will be available. Ditto for a 660.

What am I missing?

Tom

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't see the market for these models also. The only other reason I can think of is that maybe BMW just trademarked those names to prevent other car manufacturers from using the same names for a certain model, which could lead to confusion in disadvantage of BMW :confused2

But then again.. I doubt how much of this is true, though I could see the 545i being replaced by a 550i.

Regards, :byebye:

·
Registered
205 Posts
bernhtp said:
I don't see the market for a 560 as the 760 is about $40k more than the 745 with the only real difference being the V15 engine. Few go for this upgrade in the 7, and I don't see anyone wanting it in a 5, especially when a faster (and cheaper) M5 will be available. Ditto for a 660.

What am I missing?

Tom
Wheehoo! What about that V15 engine...? ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
bernhtp said:

What am I missing?

Tom
That someome might want the speed and power of an M5 and the comfort of an 545 ?

Take the Mercedes 600 and 55 AMG, same power but totaly different charcteristics in comfort and road handling, no mather which chassis you choose (S, SL or CL)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Stories of the 4.4L V-8 being replaced by a 4.8L unit making 400bhp, I would understand the 550i, 650i and maybe even 750i/Li badging. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Nimbus said:
That someome might want the speed and power of an M5 and the comfort of an 545 ?
I just don't see a significant market for a 5 costing more than $100k. Even though MB has many more models, even they don't have an E600.

I think I've only once seen a 760 on the road and I'll see dozens of 745s each day, and the 760 is the only upgrade to the flagship as there is no M7.

Tom

·
Registered
205 Posts
bernhtp said:
I just don't see a significant market for a 5 costing more than $100k. Even though MB has many more models, even they don't have an E600.

I think I've only once seen a 760 on the road and I'll see dozens of 745s each day, and the 760 is the only upgrade to the flagship as there is no M7.

Tom
Well, someones gotta make the first move to introduce such a model, don't you think ;) ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm pretty sure the H7 is hydrogen v12 that can run off both hydrogen and petrol

Though it is possible i can't see a 560 happenin

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
550i,750i and 650i are a fact(already slated for production in 2005)
V12's will not happen in the 5(at least not in next 6 years)

·
Registered
675 Posts
it makes sense to me,there are an enormous amount of people who would like the performance of the m5 with an automatic gearbox,a 560 would give them that opportunity.

·
Registered
326 Posts
A 5.0L V12 model 5-series makes sense, and I don't think it would eat into M5 sales. The difference will be similar to the difference between the E34 540i and the E34 M5. The former has much more low-end torque and a lower redline. The latter has higher peak horsepower, high redline, and a bunch of braking, suspension, and aerodynamic differences.

A 560i, though? That might be a bit much, but who knows? And hey, maybe it's a weird turbo designation, like the old 745i. BMW used the "45" because that represented the engine's "effective" displacement.

·
Registered
124 Posts
don't get me wrong, but i think the 550i and 650i will be the new designatino for the 4.8L V-8. same with the 750i. Could be wrong, but it makes sense. That'll mean the 545i will be gone after this model year. kind of like the 328i going to 330i

·
Registered
240 Posts
absent said:
550i,750i and 650i are a fact(already slated for production in 2005)
V12's will not happen in the 5(at least not in next 6 years)
How do you know this? I understand the l6 engines will be upgraded however the V8 engine from the 745 is only 3 years old, how can they be replacing it so soon?

BMW had the 4.6L V8 in the X5 for several years. How come this engine didn't make its way into the 540 hence making it a 545 back in year 2000?

I'm very confused. I am waiting until spring for navigation. Must I now continue waiting until September for the new engines? ??????

·
Registered
704 Posts
Holtor said:
How do you know this? I understand the l6 engines will be upgraded however the V8 engine from the 745 is only 3 years old, how can they be replacing it so soon?
I am guessing its just an minor update to the current engine. A change in bore and stroke while keeping most of the other parts the same.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Enigma is spot on.
My info came from the same source that gave me the "last minute power increase"(it is a VERY good source and I really trust him)

·
Registered
240 Posts
So the 545 will be replaced by a 550 for next years model, a 2005? Don't get me wrong, I'll take more power but I do not want to buy a 545 in the spring to have it replaced by a 550 only 6 months later in the fall.

The M5 should be official in the spring time right? I assume we will see what the official power is and will be able to tell if your source is accurate or not.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts