BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone encounter any E55's yet?

I have spent a fair amount of time driving both my E55 (obviously) as well as the M5.

Frankly, the E55 would win in acceleration (despite the reviews that pick their best 0-60 drop the clutch at 3,000 rpms and car be damned approach), especially in the wet.

The M5 gets the edge in handling, as it just feels smaller. However, my Dinan tweaked E34 M5 beats both in the curves, probably since it is stiffer and lighter up front.

E55 wins in interior volume, but I like the M5 seats better.

The auto is really nice in traffic and hills, but every now and then I yearn for the manual.

I have a tough choice ahead, as I also have a M5 on order, but not sure that I will take it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Richard,
Have you confirmed that your E55 is faster than your M5 at a race track? I've read a lot of people who feel that the E55 is faster, but that's just it...feel. The E55 has a torque advantage which will give it the "seat of the pants" feeling of being faster than the M5. The higher amount of torque in the E55 also probably "puts you in your seat" more noticeably. Also, because of the tremendously flat torque curve on the M5, it won't feel like it is accelerating as fast as it really is.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Who cares which car is faster... maybe M5 going aroung that curve, or the E55 up that hill. They made it SSSOOOOOO easy for you:

You want an Auto, keep the E55.

You want the Stick, take the M5.

And instead of wasting time explaining why the M5 might not feel fast or quoting magazine articles, why don't some of you go drive your M5.

My worthless two cents... Dan.

·
Registered
417 Posts
uhmm, ok....

daniel,
I was simply providing information, which might I add can be applied to other cars, that would help Richard make the correct decision. I realize your super-simplified approach to choosing between the two cars (manual=M5, auto=E55) is short and sweet, but isn't that information pretty obvious to everyone on this board? (funny you mentioned "waste of time"
)

-Shawn

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Speed differences between the two are moot. Can you REALLY do 0-60 in 4.6 in either car? I mean. Whatever feels best works best. for me, it's the m5 because i love having complete control of the car. but having gone thru the fremont traffic recently, i missed my auto. luckily i dont have that problem often. if all depends on your driving conditions. the e55 is just as fast as the m5, so it's not a thing about speed.

--Dan

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
You already have the E55, so the question becomes "does the M5 make you want to switch cars?" it could be for any reason- you like the exterior/interior, handling, etc bettor or worse. If its worse than the E55, then you know your decision. If its better than the E55 then your next question is do you want to make the switch (or addition if youre extra lucky!). Ive always preferred the way BMWs drive to Mercedes; but thats me. you might feel different. The E55 and M5 are fine cars- this is a very nice choice to have
enjoy

ME

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well I guess it all depends on how small a discrepency in numbers you consider moot. It's just relative to the individual...for me a few tenths of a second difference in something like the 1/4 mile race is huge since I've been eliminated in the finals of races by margins of .001 secs. and so a few tenths a second means quite a bit (and yes ever-so-slightly noticable)to me. It is not realistic to consider that much a difference on the street..where most of my car's life will be. But by not recognizing even the smallest margin of difference on these stellar automobiles is not giving them credit for their individual merits.

·
Registered
620 Posts
To answer the original question: Yes. Three times, all in stop-&-go traffic! Two female drivers and one male! No flame please.

·
Registered
257 Posts
To be a bit more specific (if you think it helps Shawn)...

My previous two cars were sports cars: a Viper GTS and a Porsche 993. The only convincing factor for me was that I could get near sports car experience (manual tranny is very much part of this for me) in a more comfortable and far less noticeable package.

If the stick was not a must have, I would be the first in line for a Merc... performance is close between the two, and in my opinion there is far more room (comfort) in the front and rear of the E55.

Hope this helps explain my view. Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts