BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new to this forums. I am thinking about purchasing either an E46M3 or an E39M5. Since both can be bought for roughly $50-$60K, I am still undecided. If I do purchase an E46M3, I would purchase a brand new model. Obviously I cannot purchase a new E39M5, so I would purchase a Certified Pre-Owned one.

I plan on doing autocross and track days with either option. I am attracted to the E39M5 by it's raw power. I am attracted to the E46M3 by it's power/handling combination. Are either competitive in stock class auto cross? If I remember correctly, the Corvette is more competitive than the M3. I am unsure about the M5. My primary goal is not to win autocross competitions, but having a competitive car would be nice. And, yes I am aware that driver skill is the most important thing.

Another concern I have is depreciation. Do you think the M5 will depreciate at a faster rate, due to it's age?

Thanks in advance for any input,

Rick

·
Registered
648 Posts
For autocross, and I assume you mean parking lot cones, and not a real track, the m3 is much better. That said, something even smaller like an M coupe would be ideal for that setting. I've seen both e46 m3s and e39 m5s out on the autoX course. The M5 looked too big and heavy. The owner had trouble with it and was back in his corvette for the next race. The e46s do better but most that were really competitive had coil-overs.

Hope this helps.

P.S. If you want a great autoX car go for a modified 2002 or an e30 M3. :)

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I'd buy an oler M5 for all around use, and an used MR2 Spider or a Miata for autocross. The Ms are great cars, but not ideal autocross machines. Way too heavy, and that includes the M3.

Good luck.

CP

·
Registered
86 Posts
buy the M5 and an S2000 for auto x and track use. Can't beat that car for fun factor and value. That's if you can have two cars.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had been thinking about this at my time of purchase too....I love the m5, love the m3, and adore the m coupe...and wanted to track whatever i bought. But the more I thought about it, the more I didn't want to track a BMW, due to high costs of anything - you name it: tires, brakes, maintenance, mods, motor work (should something break), etc.

Will you drive a BMW as hard as say, a miata? Probably not - the miatas are relatively cheap to fix/maintain. I ended up purchasing the m5 as my "nice" car, and 95 MR2 for my daily/track car. Don't regret a moment.

I get 30mpg for my trip to/from work, can track the car without conviction (whenever I get time to do so), and don't worry much about replacing 15 in. tires, Toyota brakes, etc. etc. I can mod my mr2 with a supercharger, suspension kit, and "breathing" mods for the cost of installing a set of headers/catback on the m5.

Much less of a headache this way. You'll get to drive 2 fun cars, not worry about your bank, and race without abandon. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome aboard :byee55amg

I agree that the M5 is really too big a car for such activities. Get something small, light and cheap as a track/auto-x car and get an M5 for regular driving. The M5 is a lot more spacious than the M3 and you'll notice this if you use the car as a daily driver.

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you really want a cost effective, kick *** track vehicle go for a shifter kart- Michael Schumacher practices with one in the off-season. 0-60 in 3.5 in a modded 125 cc and 1.5-2 gs in the corners. Fuel is cheap and tires go for $150.00- a set!! There's nothing like them for sheer driving performance and affordability. You can buy a ready to race kart for $4000.00- the price of M5 headers installed!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All very good points. I used to race shifter karts, so I am well aware of the performance of karts. It is true that I will use this car on normal roads/conditions for 99.99% of the time. The more and more I look at it, the more appealing the M5's power and extra space become.

My only concern would be maintainance and depreciation. How much should I expect to pay for maintainance per year? Do you think the M5 will depreciate at a faster rate than a brand new E46M3 over the timespan of 5 years?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
slickrick said:
My only concern would be maintainance and depreciation. How much should I expect to pay for maintainance per year? Do you think the M5 will depreciate at a faster rate than a brand new E46M3 over the timespan of 5 years?
MYs 2000-2003: 3 years, 36k miles services are included (including brakes, rotors, unabused-clutch etc.)
MY 2004: 4 years, 50k miles services included.

Beyond that, I'm guessing $500-$600 per year average? If you have a good, reliable, honest independent shop that you know, could be even less.

Probelm is that for the M5, itmes like MAFs, O2 sensors, Cam Sensors, tires, etc., are almost like regular consummable items. Parts can be expensive.

Depreciation: too many variables to generalize - geopraphic locale, color combo, economy etc. I'd like to think that with the high production numbers, and the stigma of the engine, the M3 resale value would be worse than the M5.

Good luck with getting your car.

CP

·
Registered
636 Posts
slickrick said:
Hi all,

I am new to this forums. I am thinking about purchasing either an E46M3 or an E39M5. Since both can be bought for roughly $50-$60K, I am still undecided. If I do purchase an E46M3, I would purchase a brand new model. Obviously I cannot purchase a new E39M5, so I would purchase a Certified Pre-Owned one.
Rick
If i were you i'd get maybe a used 01 or 02 E46 M3 really cheap since you're going to be using it for auto-xing. Then i'd get the Evosport ///M Kompressor http://www.evosport.com/product/e46m3_super_p1.html kit and bam! You're good to go! Just imagine appox 600HP at the crank! hmmm You'll be like this----> :hihi: lovelove :1: :biggrin: everytime to press the gas! lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
chunpng said:
MYs 2000-2003: 3 years, 36k miles services are included (including brakes, rotors, unabused-clutch etc.)
MY 2004: 4 years, 50k miles services included.

Beyond that, I'm guessing $500-$600 per year average? If you have a good, reliable, honest independent shop that you know, could be even less.

Probelm is that for the M5, itmes like MAFs, O2 sensors, Cam Sensors, tires, etc., are almost like regular consummable items. Parts can be expensive.

Depreciation: too many variables to generalize - geopraphic locale, color combo, economy etc. I'd like to think that with the high production numbers, and the stigma of the engine, the M3 resale value would be worse than the M5.

Good luck with getting your car.

CP
Actually, 2003 m3's have 4 year, 50K warranty, plus the extended 6 year 100K warranty on the grenading engine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have been debating the M3/M5 scenario myself as of late.

Since I have an NSX that I plan to keep for a while, the car will be a daily driver that won't see much if any HPDE or autox use. The M5 seems to be a better choice for me. Yet, the M3 offers the option of a convertible and is available with the SMG II, which would be nice for the commute (and the track). It is also less expensive than the M5 in general.

Call me 70/30 in favor of the M5 right now. I already have a peaky, high-revving NA six, and I love it, but the M3 is more of the same. Having driven it back to back with the NSX, I'll take the NSX. That is me. YMMV.

The M5 has brute force and agility beyond its heft. The only question is when I make the move. The smart money would be to keep driving my TL over the winter and get a nice CPO 2001 for $40-42k next spring. I am tempted to do something stupid and get one now, but it looks like reason has overcome emotion and I will do the 'right' thing. :confused2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ahh the good old NSX makes me think of another point. I would venture to say that both the M5 and NSX belong on the same level in their respective classes. Cars, such as the NSX and M5, tend to retain their status and value over the years pretty well. Whether or not the M3 is in the same league as those cars, I do not know. But this is something I will have to keep in mind before giving my money away

By the way, when did you buy your NSX and how much did you buy it for?

·
Registered
691 Posts
slickrick said:
The M5 is, for the most part, considered a super car. At the very least, I would think, it is considered a super sedan.
Respectfully, I am not sure I would call the M5 a supercar, I guess I would reserve that title to two door, limited production, high horsepower, blah blah blah

This URL comes to mind:
http://www.autozotica.com/az_main/az_qualifies.htm

Don't get me wrong, I love my M5, but I would never call it a supercar. :) Super Saloon??? Nah! JMO, Kevin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
khiroshima said:
Respectfully, I am not sure I would call the M5 a supercar, I guess I would reserve that title to two door, limited production, high horsepower, blah blah blah

This URL comes to mind:
http://www.autozotica.com/az_main/az_qualifies.htm

Don't get me wrong, I love my M5, but I would never call it a supercar. :) Super Saloon??? Nah! JMO, Kevin
Do you think it is in the same class as the NSX?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Rick,

I'm with Kevin on this one. The E39 M5 may qualify as a super-sedan, but I can't honestly say it's a super-car. Mainly for the numbers:
0-60: 4.8 seconds.
De-limited top-speed: 185 MPH.
Total number produced: about 9,000 in U.S.

IMHO, true super-cars need to be below 4 seconds, AND top out above 190 MPH. That eliminates about 99% of the cars on the road.

CP

·
Registered
116 Posts
It really depends what you are looking for. For some people, the NSX and the M5 or the M3 could be the answer to their automotive question. I think more people would cross-shop the M3 and NSX than the M5 and NSX.

The M5 and 97+ NSX have similar straight line performance, i.e. 0-60 in 4.8 or so and the quarter in high 12s low 13s at 107-109 MPH. The earlier NSX is a 5.3/13.6 performer, but much faster above 60 than below 60 due to its tall gearing. Call it a 14 second car below 60 and a 13 second car above 60.

On a road course, the early NSX is a little faster than an M5, and the later car faster than that. The NSX-R Ring times have ranged from 7m56s to low 8s, depending on who you believe.

I bought my 93 in the spring of 2003 for low thirties. It is one of 458 or so sebring silver cars in the US. It had 70k when I bought it and I have put 20k on it since, and it is not my daily driver. You can drive an NSX everyday, but there are some drawbacks as to where you can leave it unattended and the lack of a back seat.

I had an E36 325i for a daily driver until I leased the TL. Now I want more excitement in my daily and the M5 is in reach. The M3 has been in reach for a little while, but it didn't entice me enough to do anything about it. One drive of the M5 and I knew I was in trouble.

It looks like Le Mans Blue is my color. :1:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would agree that the NSX and the M5 are not supercars. 10 years ago, maybe, but the bar has been raised, and sub 4 second 0-60 and 190, if not 200 MPH capability is a reasonable place to define the minimum requirements.

The NSX is an exotic and the M5 is a super-sedan, so it is not all bad.

·
Registered
691 Posts
slickrick said:
Do you think it is in the same class as the NSX?
Nah. The NSX is a FUN car and the M5 is a sell-out! HaHa Again, all just my opinion, but if I didn't have a budget, I would have both! The M5 meets a requirement for me (four doors) and begins to satisfy my "need" for fun. A CTSC NSX would satisfy my "need" for fun, but can't even begin to satisfy my need for four doors. Regretfully for me . . . I have no other choice. :)

When all is said and done, each does what they were designed for VERY well . . . I love them both! Kevin

1 - 20 of 35 Posts