BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm STUCK. I absolutely love these two cars. I currently own the E46 M3. But I wonder what I'm missing with the holy grail V8 in the M5. Either car fits my lifestyle - love driving..fast, no family, good job, young etc.

Ive had a BLAST in the E46 M3, but what am I missing from the M5?
Whats faster?
Pros/Cons?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Hmmmm......

I'm STUCK. I absolutely love these two cars. I currently own the E46 M3. But I wonder what I'm missing with the holy grail V8 in the M5. Either car fits my lifestyle - love driving..fast, no family, good job, young etc.

Ive had a BLAST in the E46 M3, but what am I missing from the M5?
Whats faster?
Pros/Cons?
Have you driven an E39 M5?? No way you can conclude which you like best 'till you drive one; and not just around the block, either.

Overly simplistic, but here goes:

1) M5 = very fast, high torque, refined, relatively rare, "uber" sedan.

2) M3 = highly tossable, high revving, quick, not nearly as refined, produced in relatively high volumes, fun coupe.

Drive the M5; then decide.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you driven an E39 M5?? No way you can conclude which you like best 'till you drive one; and not just around the block, either.

Overly simplistic, but here goes:

1) M5 = very fast, high torque, refined, relatively rare, "uber" sedan.

2) M3 = highly tossable, high revving, quick, not nearly as refined, produced in relatively high volumes, fun coupe.

Drive the M5; then decide.
Hey Dan, Thanks for the input. But yes I have driven an '00 M5 before.

·
Registered
596 Posts
..... I have driven an '00 M5 before.
Well, since you've already driven one, tell us what's your take on it. Me, refinement, fast, comfortable, torquey, and soo much more. Had an E46 M3 and this was just the next step for me. Did love that car though. Nothing but fun. But I honestly like this car more.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, since you've already driven one, tell us what's your take on it. Me, refinement, fast, comfortable, torquey, and soo much more. Had an E46 M3 and this was just the next step for me. Did love that car though. Nothing but fun. But I honestly like this car more.
Its been a while, and the dealership does not any now. The real thing I didnt like about the M5 was there was no high-revving screaming noise I'm used to, that was a turn off. without the noise it was hard to tell how fast I was going, thus making it hard to compare it to the m3.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Its been a while, and the dealership does not any now. The real thing I didnt like about the M5 was there was no high-revving screaming noise I'm used to, that was a turn off. without the noise it was hard to tell how fast I was going, thus making it hard to compare it to the m3.
Now I'm not exactly tryng to persuade you into buying one but have you ever heard the screaming V8 in all its glory with the supersprint header + Tubi rumore setup? :1: You really should!

Check out beastpower.com, 5 series, exhaust, tubi cat-back section where they have sample files of different setup to suit your preference. Onno's setup (header + rumore IIRC) is truly awe inspiring to say the least...:eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I'm not exactly tryng to persuade you into buying one but have you ever heard the screaming V8 in all its glory with the supersprint header + Tubi rumore setup? :1: You really should!

Check out beastpower.com, 5 series, exhaust, tubi cat-back section where they have sample files of different setup to suit your preference. Onno's setup (header + rumore IIRC) is truly awe inspiring to say the least...:eek:oohhh:
Yeah they sound incredible. How much does a setup making that noise cost?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I own both an '98 E36 M3 that is supercharged and an '00 M5. For what it is worth, I find the M3 much more enjoyable to track for its ability to handle any corner with confidence. I feel more connected to the road in the M3 than the M5. It lacks the low end torque the M5 has. Both my cars are highly modified, so they are dialed in perfect in my opinion and much better than stock. In the long run, I prefer the M5 for its larger cabin and comfort. And ofcourse the V8 performance!

I have driven in an E46 M3 and have kept up with them with my blown E36. Each M car is special in its own way and when the enthusiast takes them up a few notches, they become unique to their owners and reward us with miles of smiles.

·
Registered
128 Posts
E46 M3
- Better handling, like a go-kart
- Fun 8k redline
- Power doesn't come on until later in the engine range
- Ride is a little rough for me
- Car is a little small for me

E39 M5
- Handling isn't quite as good, but it's a bigger car
- Fantastic V8 sound. Never get sick of it.
- Great low-end torque, puts your head back in the headrest.
- Size of a sedan

I prefer the M5 70/30, but that's me.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The only think I prefer about the e46 M3 is the noise especially in conv. form.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I onwed an e46 M3 convertible before the e39 m5. M3 had better handling but what I miss most is that it was a convertible. If I were to change it would be for the convertible only, but might have to be an addition as it would be really tough to part with the M5.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am somewhat in the same boat. I have owned an E46 M3, currently drive a del sol and am about to get either an M3 again or an E39 M5. I am swaying to the M5 just because I could use the extra practicality, baller level, rareness and extra space. Plus I would like to finally have a car with some power down low. You have to rev both the M3 and my del sol to 6K+ to get anything out of them. The M5 has power down low. In the end its up to your priorities. Noone on this or any other forum should make the decision for you. Drive both, assess your goals for the car, find out what your can afford and bust out that checkbook.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I bought the M5, instead of the E46 M3 for the following reasons:

Four doors, for hauling people more easily.

I was immediately addicted to the V8 power.

The M5, like DRM said, feels more refined..

I see lots of M3s around, seldom see M5s, and I like that exclusivity.

- Tim

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
A lot of torque and the feeling when your seat is trying to vacuum your back.....

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought the e39 m5 over the e46 m3 because the m3's are so popular out here in socal...E39 m5 is definitely much more rare!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I looked at both and ended up with an E39 M5 for a few reasons: V8, 4 doors, rare, and stealthy.

After driving a V8 I'm addicted to the torque and power of one. I'd be hard pressed to add another non-v8 car to my stable.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I prefer the 5 for the torque, but you should probably stick with the 3. The high-revving scream was what I did not like about the 3.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts