BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone owned both of these vehicles who could give me the pros and cons of owning and driving both. I currently own (and) love a 99 M3 and an 89 325IS. Thx, Steve

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I guess I was in the same situation as you so I should post my 2 cents.

I had an option between a E46 M3 SMG or a E39 M5. Both with TV, upgraded sound systems... I wanted the SMG for the option of driving in auto when I was tired or just wanted a lazy drive. Differences between the 2 cars I noticed that mattered to me are.

M3 Pros
Handles better
Auto driving option (I quite liked the SMG)
Better looking
More suited to my age (26)

M5 Pros
Power, yes you do notice it
Space
Comfort & Ride
Presence
The noise of the 5L V8

I have to say the thing that swung me the most was the fact that the M5 was 99(reg in Nov) with 45k and the M3 was 02 with 33k and the price difference was that the M5 was €25k cheaper.

Both equally good cars but each better suited to different drivers. In the end you can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Multiple and lengthy threads were written on this topic recently. Do a search.

Kin Mak did a nice job of summarizing the characteristics of the two cars.

Travis

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Kin Mak said:
I guess I was in the same situation as you so I should post my 2 cents.

I had an option between a E46 M3 SMG or a E39 M5. Both with TV, upgraded sound systems... I wanted the SMG for the option of driving in auto when I was tired or just wanted a lazy drive. Differences between the 2 cars I noticed that mattered to me are.

M3 Pros
Handles better
Auto driving option (I quite liked the SMG)
Better looking
More suited to my age (26)

M5 Pros
Power, yes you do notice it
Space
Comfort & Ride
Presence
The noise of the 5L V8

I have to say the thing that swung me the most was the fact that the M5 was 99(reg in Nov) with 45k and the M3 was 02 with 33k and the price difference was that the M5 was €25k cheaper.

Both equally good cars but each better suited to different drivers. In the end you can't go wrong with either.

Hey dude,

I will soon(ish) bein the same situation. I have a close friend who is a BMW dealership mechanic and loves both cars but is trying to push me into the M3 but I have had my heart set on the M5 and im 26 also.

Here in Australia the M5 is no doubt rarer (yet cheaper) than the M3.

For example, in 1999 an M5 would have relieved your wallet the mighty sum of approximatly AUD$217,000 (GBP£80,000) while one of the first E46 M3's would have set you back approximatly AUD $150,000 (GBP £55,000).

Wind the clock forward to 2005 and a '99/'00 E39 M5 goes for approx AUD $100k (GBP £37k) where as an early E46 M3 is approx AUD $120k(GBP £44k). A difference of AUD$20k for cars that showed a retail difference of some AUD $70k (GBP £25k), which makes the E39 M5 a (relative) bargain.

Kin Mak, agree with you there mate (except the SMG part). Here in OZ, the 'lazy' factor does not kick in as much due to the greater open spaces. The only exception being the freeway (motorway) of a morning on the way to work, its more like a carpark.

I'm 9 months away from my M car, and I get butterflies just thinking about it and there is so long to go :(

The choice between an M3 and an M5 (for me) boils down to the fact that the presence of the M5 has it over the M3 easily, which ties in with the fact that they are not as common as the M3 here in Australia. I like having a car that you dont see every day. Powerful, understated, rare, comfortable and packed with electronic trickery. Oh .. and M Fiiiivvveeee sounds better than M three ;)

Roll on December. Anyone have an Imola Red example they're trading in by any chance??? ;) :M5launch:

Happy easter to all.

Cheers,
Aaron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts