BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new one on me. An e39 540 wagon with the "M5 Package." BMW 5 Series M5 | eBay

Now, it has the stock 540 grills, sits higher than my 540 sport wagon, has an automatic and has an m62 engine, so I am wondering what exactly comes with the M5 package? The style 66 wheels came with the sport package on my 540i6 sedan, but if this car had a sport package presumably it would not have a 2" fender gap in the front.

I'd be interested to see the dual exhaust setup, as my 540 wagon has a spare tire and no room for a muffler between the tire well and battery on the passenger side.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
This is a new one on me. An e39 540 wagon with the "M5 Package." BMW 5 Series M5 | eBay

Now, it has the stock 540 grills, sits higher than my 540 sport wagon, has an automatic and has an m62 engine, so I am wondering what exactly comes with the M5 package? The style 66 wheels came with the sport package on my 540i6 sedan, but if this car had a sport package presumably it would not have a 2" fender gap in the front.

I'd be interested to see the dual exhaust setup, as my 540 wagon has a spare tire and no room for a muffler between the tire well and battery on the passenger side.
Well, there was an M sport package for the 540, not sure if it came on the wagons though. It consisted of M bumpers, 3.15 diff (not sure if LSD or not), M5 wheels, and M steering wheel. There may have been a few other cosmetic items. You can check for a 3.15 by simply checking rpms at 3000. Should be 88 mph (+/- a couple of BMW speedo accuracy). Stock diff a 2.81?

The car in the ad does not have dual exhausts. It may have some splitter in the back. The spare tire well would be in the way of true dual exhausts. Get a picture from the underside of the car and that should clear up any issue about the exhaust.

Otherwise, it seems fairly represented (other than "ignore the stains" which have been removed?) with the 4.4L motor and auto tranny. So probably a seller really not quite understanding what the car is. But someone spent some time and effort to the get the side and rear badges to make it look like a true M5.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
77 Posts
"Complete M package"?

It's not an M-car. It's just had a few M badges put on it here and there, other than that it's a stock Touring with an auto gearbox.

(Has this car just come from an auction? The windscreen in the first photo has the remains of what look like auction ID script on it - bottom right corner & maybe top left?)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think the key to be aware of here is that while it may very well be a valid BMW package for that vehicle, it isn't an ///M. It doesn't have an M engine and all of the other performance enhancements that come with a true ///M. If you are okay with that and you like the car and the upgrades provided with the M package on it then go for it. I probably wouldn't pay extra money over a normal 540 wagon because of it though.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Man you guys are so defensive...It's only a 540 relaxxx

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Yes, the E39 Touring had the option for the M-Package, which includes M-style bumpers, Style 66 wheels, M steering wheel, external black trim, etc.

An E39 Sedan or Touring with an M-Package is not an M5.

However, you will see plenty of people using the M branding incorrectly by "upgrading it" to M5/M3/Mwhatever, some by confusion/ignorance and some to be poseurs. Maybe BMW, purposefully or not, plays some part on this problem.

However, I do not think that there is anything productive in having these sort of finger pointing threads, regarding how others sell their cars on Ebay or how many M badges they decide to put on their 520i. At this day and age, 16 years after the E39 M5 was announced, who cares what others think its an M5 or not... This sort of raging or arrogance does nothing good in making the community a friendly one.

Reactions: NCVU

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right -- henceforth I will try to control my M5 arrogance.

I don't own an M5, but whatever.

·
Registered
478 Posts
There is an Mtech packaged 540iT made by BMW. Less than 100 of them were brought to the States but they are all 2003. It
is pretty much the same as the 2003 Mtech 540i but with the standard self leveling rear suspension and they were all Automatic.
They had M5 front and rear bumpers (the rear is modified for the gate), single exhaust but larger than typical. //M sills, steering wheel, footrest, higher torque converter and black headliner.
The example listed above is not a true Mtech package, the guy just replaced the front bumper and slapped the //M badge all over the place.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Man you guys are so defensive...It's only a 540 relaxxx

Yes it's only a 540i touring but it does return some magical fuel economy of 24 MPG in the city and 28 MPG on the highway. That's impressive

1 - 12 of 12 Posts