BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here’s a quick story you might enjoy

Noticed an E60 with 4 exhaust pipes up ahead of me on the 101 freeway this morning. Took me a few seconds to catch up. It had distributor plates, no rear //M5 badge, fender grills, the round M exterior rear view mirrors, but the non-M rectangular interior rearview mirror. Apparently, a later test mule out of the Oxnard VDC.

Anyway, here’s the crappy pic I took from my phone camera

The driver must have known what was following him (an E39 M5) and knew I knew what he was driving! He immediately downshifted and took off. After a bit of dodging and follow-the leader, he exited the freeway. We both smiled and gave a thumbs up! Seems the factory test drivers don’t mind having a little fun. This is gong to be one heck of fast car when it’s finally ready for prime-time!

…he was faster :wroom:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
03E39M5 said:
but the non-M rectangular interior rearview mirror.
No more M oval interior rearview mirrors.

Cool encounter though. Wish they were in my area. I suspect the first time I see one in person will be at the NYC autoshow.. and the first time I see one moving is when I take delivery. Not sure how I feel about that.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Now if he would only meet Bill while doing the tunning in my car :hihi:

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's funny I bumped into it yesterday on the 101 except it was a she driving it and there was an M6 and the redesigned 7 series along with her caravaning towards Oxnard. I was in my 993TT and was hoping to get them going but they wouldn't go for it. :)

I liked the subtle changes to the 7, and the M5 looked good as well but surprisingly the M6 really didn't look that different from a 645. It had the bigger airdams in the front and the quad pipes but I was hoping for the fenders to be a bit more flared out.

Anyways, the encounter definitely got my juices flowing for the arrival of my M5 later this year. At least I hope it'll be later this year. :)

Amir
2002 M3

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Great catch! I see cars doing high altitude and hot weather testing up here all the time, but nothing really worth while. Pontiac Solstice (sp?) was cool, but I would have a heart attack if I saw an E60 M5. Cant wait to see those on the road.
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
interesting that the driver seemed so inclined to show any emotion...as from all other stories that i have heard, they are real jerks. Not only that but on a few instances they have tried to use bully tactics on people that have taken pictures of their test mule cars, even when the cars are out in public with absolutely no camo on them.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I think alot of that has to do with the fact the car has already been officially announced and displayed to the public.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This fellow actually seemed pretty cool. He must have seen me trying to catch up and he let me do so, then he started hitting the throttle, but even in light traffic, he could only do so for 3-5 seconds at a time, because by then the speed he was going was so much faster than the surrounding traffic. Fantastic acceleration.

We are very lucky in our area (Ventura County) as we are very close to the Oxnard VDC, and the Newbury Park design center and get to see these test cars every so often. I have already seen the M6 (he was going the opposite direction on the 126 about a month ago) and ive seen a hevily desguised black 1-series driving around town, plus a new 3-series up in the canyons a couple of months ago. Most people would not give most of these cars a second look, but if you know what to look for, you will see them. It did not seem that anyone noticed the M5 yesterday except for me.

Maybe since the car has been announced, these test drivers dont get the attention they once did so they are happier to lay off the heavy attitude? Either that, or there's lot's of different BMW employees signing up to take turns driving, and this guy just got his first turn. Hard to know, but BMW employees do monitor these forums, so if you are listening, and we meet again, I want a ride next time!!! :byee55amg

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Im sure they take advantage of showing the new M5 off as much as possible for the most likely buyers there is: E39 M5 owners.

Seems like a great guy driving the M5 E60 :)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
absent said:
All we get to see here in the midwest ,are disguised Fords.
i'm surprised they don't do some of their high altitude testing where you live.... :1:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts