BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/does-bmw-sports-sedan-double-045219384.html

Who is going to pay $140,000 for an E39 M5??

I love this part

“Let’s say this car, for conversation’s sake, sells for $150,000,” Keller says. “If it was alpine white on black, it would sell for $220,000; if it was blue on caramel, it would sell for $200,000; if it was black on black, it would sell for $160,000.”

·
Registered
186 Posts
You see the 146 mile E46 M3 that didn't even hit it's reserve price on BAT? Then again it was SMG II. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-bmw-m3-21/

Guess we'll see what this E39 M5 goes for. Even at $140k, not a great investment (~4.5% over 16 years vs. 7% in the market).
Yes, but it would set a very high bar, and if it hits the higher end of the estimate this could get interesting. Havent some hit $90,000+ already? I dont see why this is a crazy estimate. This car is iconic. A whole lot of filthy stinking rich people have made a lot of money in the past 10 years. Stick 2 of them in the room for the finest e39 m5 possibly in the world....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Interesting thread especially since it's from so long ago. Didn't realize there were such differing opinions regarding warming the engine up (the thread included quite a bit of discussion regarding long-term storage). That E39 is simply gorgeous.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, but it would set a very high bar, and if it hits the higher end of the estimate this could get interesting. Havent some hit $90,000+ already? I dont see why this is a crazy estimate. This car is iconic. A whole lot of filthy stinking rich people have made a lot of money in the past 10 years. Stick 2 of them in the room for the finest e39 m5 possibly in the world....
Without a doubt, there is an upward trend in value for the E39 M5's. Interesting history on BAT of their sales values, but not useful in valuing something with such uncommonly low miles. Think it would have to be a very unique buyer with very particular tastes.

https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/e39-m5/

I've seen a few E39's listed in the $90's on CarGurus/etc, but no idea if any have sold that high. Happy to see greater appreciation for the model, but I hope the stay obtainable for enthusiasts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Without a doubt, there is an upward trend in value for the E39 M5's. Interesting history on BAT of their sales values, but not useful in valuing something with such uncommonly low miles. Think it would have to be a very unique buyer with very particular tastes.

https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/e39-m5/

I've seen a few E39's listed in the $90's on CarGurus/etc, but no idea if any have sold that high. Happy to see greater appreciation for the model, but I hope the stay obtainable for enthusiasts.
I was thinking that place in ohio has pulled $90k, or there about, and like 60-70 for some other ones in the past couple years. EAG or AEG or something the place is called.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was thinking that place in ohio has pulled $90k, or there about, and like 60-70 for some other ones in the past couple years. EAG or AEG or something the place is called.
Pre-Owned M5 for sale

Too bad we can't see previous sales. Is having 8k less miles worth double (8k mile car @ $90k vs. 437 miles @ $180)? Guess we'll find out, but something tells me they probably won't be a board member.

·
2,529 Posts
Its EAG, some really hilarious prices. Investment grade lol, that is code for the sucker bought the car and did not drive it much.

Will be very interesting when the currency bubble pops.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Its EAG, some really hilarious prices. Investment grade lol, that is code for the sucker bought the car and did not drive it much.

I feel that if you're the person who buys this car you can't even drive it. Putting a few thousand miles on it will erode half the premium you paid for it in the first place.

Price is what you pay, value is what you get - Warren Buffet

·
Registered
186 Posts

I feel like people who buy these things arent thinking about them being an investment. They buy it because they want bragging rights. They want the best, and if they have to pay another 50k to beat out the next guy, so be it. The person who buys this car is probably going to have 30 other cars that have never been driven

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
That upcoming auction was already discussed recently in this thread. FWIW (or not), EAG already sold an E39 M5 (in 2016 I think) for $149k.

Reactions: stark6935

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah not sure why you guys are so skeptical. I watched the e28 M5s in 2009 go from $12k to what their EAG prices are today. The E39 M5 is next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah not sure why you guys are so skeptical. I watched the e28 M5s in 2009 go from $12k to what their EAG prices are today. The E39 M5 is next.

Also, have to realize only 2,191 E28 M5's were produced. Not doubting E39's will go up in value, however, it might be hard to compare when there is such a large difference in production numbers (20k+ E39's).

·
2,529 Posts

Who cares, enjoy the car, if a windfall comes, it comes. A horrible investment if you want anything approaching a decent return (particularly with the upcoming currency bubble). That was my reasoning when I bought my two E28 M5s in the early 2000s, just drive them, enjoy, hardly anybody else gave a flying crap about the E28 M5 back then.

As for EAG prices, EAG is the way to go if you want a good example at absurd prices, clearly trying to create a market. They must do a lot of service because they probably dont do enough transactions to generate a margin. But its up to them I suppose.

As for next car, E34 M5 prices are creeping up, fewer produced than the E39, "handbuilt" by mullet topped germans FWIW (not much), particularly the M5 Tourings with 871 built. Already seeing some large numbers on rare editions like Elekta Tourings.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Also, have to realize only 2,191 E28 M5's were produced. Not doubting E39's will go up in value, however, it might be hard to compare when there is such a large difference in production numbers (20k+ E39's).
EDIT: nevermind...M5portal export data shows double counts on some markets.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Bit of a stroll down memory lane with those BigGar threads... :)

Some of us who have been around a while can recall some of the conversations back 10-12 years ago about how the e39 M5 was an instant classic. Boy were we right. It would be interesting to compare the appreciation curves of this car with those other non-rare bimmer models as an indication of how the car's stature as a generally acknowledged 'greatest super saloon ever built' has helped drive the curve. Could the inherent qualities of the car exceed relative abundance in driving value in this case?

Reactions: CSBM5

·
Registered
910 Posts
20K worldwide, just under 10K for North America.

That's always the tricky balance, right? That's why opinions re EAG vary so greatly. If you've got lots of disposal income, you love them. If you have a mortgage to pay, you wish they'd go away. I think the growth of BringaTrailer must be siphoning off some pristine cars that would otherwise go to them. Owners know they can get more on BaT than EAG's wholesale offer.

More choice is better for everyone.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts