BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey I have a 02 E39 M5, she was parked for 6 yrs which I had did an oil change before I had parked her and now I want to bring her back out and I would like to know what do I need to do and get to do full tune up on her. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey guy I have a 02 E39 M5, she was parked for 6 yrs which I had did an oil change before I had parked her and now I want to bring her back out and I would like to know what do I need to do and get to do full tune up on her. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just change all your fluids. Oil, coolant, brake, trans, diff, power steering ATF. Along with filters. Oil, fuel, air/cabin air. You can do the plugs you can inspect for leaks, check brakes and suspension. Make sure all your sensors are good. Maybe a new battery. New chain tensioner Then Just drive the car and go from there. Make sure it’s running properly at correct temps and not too rich or too lean, listen look and feel. You might notice things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just change all your fluids. Oil, coolant, brake, trans, diff, power steering ATF. Along with filters. Oil, fuel, air/cabin air. You can do the plugs you can inspect for leaks, check brakes and suspension. Make sure all your sensors are good. Maybe a new battery. New chain tensioner Then Just drive the car and go from there. Make sure it’s running properly at correct temps and not too rich or too lean, listen look and feel. You might notice things.
I did put a new battery in n she started up on the first turn of the key the suspension and breaks are all good n so far I haven't noticed any leaks, so I'm goin to do all the fluids like u suggested and plugs. Thank you again

·
Registered
181 Posts
Itrucknyc pretty much has it down. But I'd go a step further. As for fluids. Change them all, drive the car around, then change them again after I'd day about 500 miles. Even with fresher fuid, you'll still have some of the old crap in. And you want to get as much of it out as you can. After that, I'd run another 1000 miles with some occasional Italian tune-ups thrown in and only change the engine oil.

Don't use any flushes for the engine oil. Don't really work and it's too risky for how long the car sat.

You may not have any leaks yet, but that could easily change. So definitely keep a close eye on things. Especially the brake lines. Only real thing I can think of leaking from the engine is those crappy valve cover gaskets. In fact if I were you, I'd replace them and get it over with because THEY WILL leak lolol.

Lastly if you get any codes. Write them down, clear them and drive on. I wouldn't worry about it at first unless they keep coming back or the car starts running bad.

Keep us posted an DON'T let the car sit again like that lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
All great suggestions. One other item that should not be overlook is the status of your tires. I’ve seen tires in cars that have sat for a while harden “crystallize”. They lose traction and are more prone to damage/ruptures. Something else to consider before spirited driving and enjoying your beast.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Itrucknyc pretty much has it down. But I'd go a step further. As for fluids. Change them all, drive the car around, then change them again after I'd day about 500 miles. Even with fresher fuid, you'll still have some of the old crap in. And you want to get as much of it out as you can. After that, I'd run another 1000 miles with some occasional Italian tune-ups thrown in and only change the engine oil.

Don't use any flushes for the engine oil. Don't really work and it's too risky for how long the car sat.

You may not have any leaks yet, but that could easily change. So definitely keep a close eye on things. Especially the brake lines. Only real thing I can think of leaking from the engine is those crappy valve cover gaskets. In fact if I were you, I'd replace them and get it over with because THEY WILL leak lolol.

Lastly if you get any codes. Write them down, clear them and drive on. I wouldn't worry about it at first unless they keep coming back or the car starts running bad.

Keep us posted an DON'T let the car sit again like that lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Oh man thank you so much and I'm definitely not going to let her sit like that again lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All great suggestions. One other item that should not be overlook is the status of your tires. I’ve seen tires in cars that have sat for a while harden “crystallize”. They lose traction and are more prone to damage/ruptures. Something else to consider before spirited driving and enjoying your beast.
Oh yeah I do need new tires

·
Registered
907 Posts
6 years, change the oil and start it?

yikes. This reminds me of the other thread I recently saw where a car had sat for 10 years I believe, not sure if oil was changed, but it was dry started and the pistons immediately scored and engine ruined and now needs rebuild. Perhaps worthwhile to remove the plugs and squirt some oil down onto the piston tops? I really have never done this before, just remember reading that thread and seeing the piston scoring and feeling horrible just looking at the damage it caused..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
6 years, change the oil and start it?

yikes. This reminds me of the other thread I recently saw where a car had sat for 10 years I believe, not sure if oil was changed, but it was dry started and the pistons immediately scored and engine ruined and now needs rebuild. Perhaps worthwhile to remove the plugs and squirt some oil down onto the piston tops? I really have never done this before, just remember reading that thread and seeing the piston scoring and feeling horrible just looking at the damage it caused..
she had oil, i had changed it the day before i had parked her, its just i have never had one of my cars sat for that long of a period this is y I was asking because I don't want to course any internal damage

1 - 12 of 12 Posts