BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove a 2003 E39 for 13 years and 80K+ miles. Unfortunately I was in a accident and the car is totaled. I am test driving a 2013 F10. The car is nice, but... Not sold. The car is fast...ok very fast. The one I am driving is the automatic vs the true stick.

This car is bigger than the E39 but seems smaller inside? I feel more claustrophobic inside Odd I know. The back seat doesn't seam as big is the trunk that huge of the engine bay that much bigger??

Have people had electrical drain issues?? The car fax shows "Battery Charges" or replacement numerous times over the life of the car. The Passengers rear door drain is clogged (My E39 issue could never get fixed).

I also noticed that not that many people view the F10 discussion (26 Viewing) vs the E39 Discussion (402).

do people just not like the F10 as much and if so why??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know exactly what you mean.
I first entered the e39 5 series in the spring of 2000.
Still have my 1st one with 320K at last odometer check.
I have 3 more e39's
all with less than 100K

In may of 2014 I bought a F10535d with every option I could get on it and then added some carbon fiber parts.
It was my daily driver. During August of 2018 my wife and children were in an accident with the car. Everyone was OK but the what I though was minor front left side damage wound up being a total loss. The replacement parts were worth more than the car. Also, I was amazed at how little residual value the insurance folks

That car was fast, handled well but it just was not as well made as the e39's. It had no sole. BMW used to make cars, now they make money.

The E39 has it all. Everything I could want in a car without being overly complicated.
I am back with another e39 just got another black on black 530i with 50K miles yesterday.
we'll see how this goes.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I am about to go from the V10 to the F10 M5....

Good luck deciding - with my decision it was all about peace of mind …..oh and silly amounts of torque on tap plus all the newer technology/materials.

I think there is more activity in other forums for the F10 M5, especially on the f10.m5post forums, for some odd reason.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I daily drove my e39 M5 for 8 year and 165k miles. I just bought a 2013 F10 M5. I love it! The way to have an enjoyable experience is to spend months looking for a 6MT car. :) It is fun to drive! I don't regret buying the car at all as a new daily. I still have my e39 (always will), but the F10 is much better as a daily driver. I can't expand more as I'm short on time. The m5post forum mentioned above is much more active and where I usually spend my forum time now for that chassis.

Good luck!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Radically different cars man. Chass
is, engine, trans etc.

You can't really compare them in my opinion. I love a good NA motor and a good turbo motor. Agreed the older cars feel a bit bigger inside even though supposedly their similar. I think the glass is bigger.

The E39's are actually picking up in value!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had a lot of experience with E39 M's, from stock to supercharged/exhaust/suspension/brakes. They are awesome cars no doubt, but don't compare to the '14 M5 that I currently have IMHO. I took one out at an HPDE event (all stock) to see why all the magazines were bashing it so bad, and my conclusion? They have no idea what they are talking about. I was completely amazed at how well it communicated, gripped, braked, accelerated, everything! It felt light and responsive, like a much smaller car. It's also super quiet on the road and way more luxurious. My vote is F10 hands down.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I've had a lot of experience with E39 M's, from stock to supercharged/exhaust/suspension/brakes. They are awesome cars no doubt, but don't compare to the '14 M5 that I currently have IMHO. I took one out at an HPDE event (all stock) to see why all the magazines were bashing it so bad, and my conclusion? They have no idea what they are talking about. I was completely amazed at how well it communicated, gripped, braked, accelerated, everything! It felt light and responsive, like a much smaller car. It's also super quiet on the road and way more luxurious. My vote is F10 hands down.
Most of the online reviews I have read love the F10 M5. Especially with the Competition Pack changes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts