BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess you know it's time for the transition to a new model when more than 1/2 the threads on the E39 board relate to service issues. :sad2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Would you expect people to start thread after thread just to say:

"Well, I drove my car today, and once again, nothing adverse happened whatsoever."

It is the purpose of a board like this, in a spirit of community, to:
1) Enjoy the e39 M5
2) Discuss ways to enjoy it more
3) Discuss issues we've had and how to best resolve them

If you decide to move to an E60, I would suppose the repairs would be comparable - too early to tell.

paule said:
I guess you know it's time for the transition to a new model when more than 1/2 the threads on the E39 board relate to service issues. :sad2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,002 Posts
Ive not had any major problems, and none that where not covered by bmw. Ok now keep the e39 :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,085 Posts
I agree with Sarends. I have posted misc/minor repair issues because I am interested in learning about the car and about the mechanical aspects of it. I hate not having any idea of what a problem may be and relying on the dealer only.

Of course, as the E39s rack up milage, more repair issues will of course come up, as they will for any aging car.

I would be shocked if the E60 proves to be more reliable; in fact, it's a good guess that it will be much less so, given how complicated it is. As a foreshadowing, the E39 530 always received above average reliability ratings from Consumer Reports (say what you want about the magazine, but the reliability reports come from real owners) while the E60 530 has received the dreaded "much worse than average"/black circle since its' inception.


I'm definately keeping my E39 for a while...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
paule said:
I guess you know it's time for the transition to a new model when more than 1/2 the threads on the E39 board relate to service issues. :sad2:
Personally, I LOVE when a board finally stops with the "what option do I order" or "what color goes with zebra wood" and gets down to the technical nitty-gritty. Wax, conditioner, options, leather stitching, etc, etc is interesting, but the real value - in dollars and sense and aggravation is when trouble shooting, failure modes, & diagnostics are discussed.

All boards evolve this way as new models are discussed. To believe that the board content is indicitave of some underlying model defect is silly.

Any car will fail- if you are outside of warranty it may be time to change to a car with a warranty- a new model or an old model...but to think that the E60 M5 will not need dealer visits for the first 2 years is, IMHO, wrong. The problem will be that the detailed service knowledge on the E60 will take a few years to get to the boards.

A
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,458 Posts
I agree with Kevin's quote below. We'll see how the e60 goes, from a reliability standpoint. I've had no issues yet to scare me into getting rid of my e39 M5.
Mike

KevinM said:
I would be shocked if the E60 proves to be more reliable; in fact, it's a good guess that it will be much less so, given how complicated it is. As a foreshadowing, the E39 530 always received above average reliability ratings from Consumer Reports (say what you want about the magazine, but the reliability reports come from real owners) while the E60 530 has received the dreaded "much worse than average"/black circle since its' inception.


I'm definately keeping my E39 for a while...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,176 Posts
I think that goes for any car you own. The longer you own it, the likely a problem will surface.

I guess those costs, anticipated and unanticipated, come with the territory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Yes, according to the second law of thermodynamics, even our beloved E39 M5 will not be long for this universe.

In the meantime, maybe this board can help me keep it running as well as it possibly can for as long as it is practical!

canysmc said:
I think that goes for any car you own. The longer you own it, the likely a problem will surface.

I guess those costs, anticipated and unanticipated, come with the territory.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top