41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi Jabberwocky,

Can you expand on what you mean by this please?

Cheers, Dennis!
I have searched many times for a simple solution to upgrade our stereos. This seems to be the simplest so far, that is if i am following this thread correctly. For this particular install they just needed their chosen head unit, the surrounding bezel and your little gizmo to get all the functions working properly. is that correct?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hi Jabberwocky,

I designed and manufacture the NXG-39 which is a bezel or fascia/fitting kit and you affix your chosen head unit into it. That 'combo' is then fitted to your car and you then connect up the head unit depending on what audio setup you want. There's no 'little gizmo' needed!

The 'best' or 'most efficient' route forward is to connect the head unit to modern, new and much better performing amplifiers and speakers as the resulting increase in Sound Quality and audio performance is vastly better/improved over the OEM amp/speakers. If you 'absolutely' wish to retain the OEM amp and speakers and connect to a high quality and reliable premium brand head unit, you'll need to search out all the old threads going back 10-15 years on this and other forums on how to connect.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
2 Posts
@DennisCooper

how do I go about ordering this unit? I have a E39 540i with the Sat nav CD player in the boot.
Please advise if any additional kits are required.

thanks

Hi Jabberwocky,

I designed and manufacture the NXG-39 which is a bezel or fascia/fitting kit and you affix your chosen head unit into it. That 'combo' is then fitted to your car and you then connect up the head unit depending on what audio setup you want. There's no 'little gizmo' needed!

The 'best' or 'most efficient' route forward is to connect the head unit to modern, new and much better performing amplifiers and speakers as the resulting increase in Sound Quality and audio performance is vastly better/improved over the OEM amp/speakers. If you 'absolutely' wish to retain the OEM amp and speakers and connect to a high quality and reliable premium brand head unit, you'll need to search out all the old threads going back 10-15 years on this and other forums on how to connect.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hi MMaz,

Welcome to the forum !

I see you've just joined so not sure if you can send me a message. I'll drop you a message in instead!

Once you choose the head unit you'd like, it's just the NXG-39 you'd need in order to install and fit as you see in the pictures. Depending on what you'd like to do with the rest of the setup, there's various things you may need/want to do - my recommendation is as per above, which is to have new amplifier(s) and speakers throughout.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi MMaz,

Welcome to the forum !

I see you've just joined so not sure if you can send me a message. I'll drop you a message in instead!

Once you choose the head unit you'd like, it's just the NXG-39 you'd need in order to install and fit as you see in the pictures. Depending on what you'd like to do with the rest of the setup, there's various things you may need/want to do - my recommendation is as per above, which is to have new amplifier(s) and speakers throughout.

Cheers, Dennis!
@DennisCooper
Thanks for the prompt response.
I need all the help I can get please, I am good with DIY stuff generally but never attempted at car electricals.
Any advice on sound system, amp and headunit is much appreciated. As I was planning to upgrade the sound system anyway might use this opportunity to do it sooner.
I know you have answered some of these questions before but I got confused half way through the messages.
I also live in West London, Harrow area so any advice on fitters and places to use for purchase of above list would also be appreciated. I can even come and pick up the NXG-39 from you?
Maybe you can even advise about someone who can deal with the pixels in the dash?

thanks in advance with all your help.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hi Mmaz,

Right around the corner then! I'm in Slough !

It's not a problem to collect and can definitely advise you based on your requirements. Depending on which head unit you go for and then whichever amplifers/speakers etc, then there are good retailers for any specific brands etc, so that's not an issue. For pixel repairs, I will recommend AK Speedo who's up in Scotland, his knowledge, service, expertise and job turnaround I've found to be excellent!

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would a BMW AMP INTEGRATION HARNESS allow me to keep my DSP amp but replace the head unit with double din? I am wanting to upgrade head unit. Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hi Todd,

Welcome to the forum firstly!

If you are wishing to keep the OEM DSP amp/speakers, then nowadays those who do then fit one of the Chinese replacement units that have the capability to work with the Resler Interface and iBus app. None of the high quality, established car audio brand head units work with the DSP amp directly. I'm not aware of a good way to interface such a unit to the DSP amp and keep everything working properly.

The solution I provide is for those owners who wish to remove the OEM modules for reasons like outdated tech, failures, repairs and when it's not possible to do so, wanting much improved sound quality and 'mixing' the OEM modules with modern aftermarket products isn't easy/straightforward/possible.

So you'll need to make a decision between going the 'modern' route, or the chinese replacement unit route or seeing if theres a way to interface between a high quality head unit and the OEM. I don't think the amp harness you mention has that capability.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Dennis,
Thank you for the response. Specifically, this is the harness I have been told will work.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hi Todd,

I'ts been over 20 years since doing car audio installs etc but what you reference is an adaptor to allow a BMW standard radio cassette/ radio CD setup to connect to an aftermarket amplifier using RCA inputs. It will not do what you are thinking/hoping.

To me and a proportion of E39 owners, the OEM DSP amp and speakers were mediocre when brand new, so after 18-21+ years, they'll be at lesser performance. The DSP amplifiers do fail and there's only two places I know of that will attempt to repair them - one is in Australia the other in Romania. If you are looking for a head unit upgrade to modern features and functionality, modern amplifiers can be tiny and output fantastic output power to drive upgraded speakers that sound massively better than the OEM DSP speakers. I'd suggest it'd be much better value for your money long term to go aftermarket rather than try to keep the old OEM stuff going. If you ever need/want to sell the car, put the OEM stuff back in !

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Todd, I used the Alpine KTA-450 Amp which was designed to work with Alpine ilx-w650. The Amp can actually be placed behind the head unit in the dash, that's how small it is. I had it installed in the trunk but I can tell you it performed better than the Factory DSP amp. I could immediately feel the difference and although I did not change my speakers, it sure felt like it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Todd, I used the Alpine KTA-450 Amp which was designed to work with Alpine ilx-w650. The Amp can actually be placed behind the head unit in the dash, that's how small it is. I had it installed in the trunk but I can tell you it performed better than the Factory DSP amp. I could immediately feel the difference and although I did not change my speakers, it sure felt like it.
Would you recommend I try your solution before replacing speakers? My speakers are not blown but the system is flat. Thanks again!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
Would you recommend I try your solution before replacing speakers? My speakers are not blown but the system is flat. Thanks again!
You initially mentioned that you're upgrading your head unit only. I am going to guess that you are pretty happy with the factory sound system already, otherwise you would probably not be interested in keeping the factory amp. If you are content with your current speakers and you are installing this yourself, then sure why not? See how you like the more powerful amp. If you are paying somebody and want to get this upgrade done once, ask yourself how good the sound system needs to be for you to be happy and how much money you want to spend, so you can make sure you are happy with the final product. If you wish it were more immersive, you may want to consider new speakers and a sub.

For me, I actually thought the stock 10 speaker sound system w/ DSP amp was great but because I could not keep the amp with a new head unit, I got an alpine amp and it kicked up the power of the sound noticeably. Although I have been happy with it for a while, I am planning on putting in new speakers and another amp with a subwoofer. I miss having that kind of driving experience, especially at night.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hi ToddB,

Ideally, I'd say to remove the DSP amp and speakers and replace with good, new items which will also give you a significant increase in Sound Quality as well. Trying to integrate the OEM audio and aftermarket head units has issues and more work and potential costs etc so much easier to just go with new aftermarket which just plugs in and works. If/when you sell the car, swap the OEM audio back in. In 'general' the DSP speakers are deemed as mediocre, and that was when they were brand new! all these years later, they're past their best. Some owners who aren't so concerned with sound quality will say they think the DSP sounds ok/fine/acceptable which is fine of course. It's once you hear other car audio and/or begin to want much better audio performance - I don't mean audiophile levels - that you then realise the OEM items just can't perform to provide that.

ThePhantom - there's some excellent products and speaker sets/subs etc that can all be installed stealthily which will provide you a fantastic level of performance for a 'mid level' of outlay, you don't have to spend larger amounts as it were. Reason is to get them installed properly and that's when speakers/subwoofers play much better. That's how I have the setup in my Touring, I use the entry to medium level range of products from the higher quality car audio brands, all installed properly and the results are fantastic.

Cheers, Dennis!

Reactions: ThePhantom

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am going to be installing a XTRONS Android unit with all of the required extension cables and Resler I-bus interface for this to work with the factory DSP.

This XTRONS unit comes with the output cable to connect a subwoofer.

Is it possible for me to use this to connect an after market amplifier and subwoofer for bass and still allow the XTRONS setup to power my speakers using the DSP amplifier?

Basically is it possible for me to have a DSP amplifier and after market amplifier running together/at the same time?

I currently have Kicker Speakers installed in the front doors and rear deck if that is relevant.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hi Alex,

This would be a question to ask Xtrons or other users of this item who con confirm if they've tried and doing the same. I'd also have suggested it's something to have asked prior to purchase !

I see you have a specific question in the main section, so hopefully someone will reply there too.

This thread is aimed at those who want a high quality and reliable solution instead of the chinese replacements and 'ThePhantom' showcases that :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Reactions: ThePhantom

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Alex,

This would be a question to ask Xtrons or other users of this item who con confirm if they've tried and doing the same. I'd also have suggested it's something to have asked prior to purchase !

I see you have a specific question in the main section, so hopefully someone will reply there too.

This thread is aimed at those who want a high quality and reliable solution instead of the chinese replacements and 'ThePhantom' showcases that :)

Cheers, Dennis!
I mainly wanted the XTRONS unit to get a modern looking head unit with technological functions that match what you would get in a newer car and the ability to go back to stock easily. It would be awesome to be able to add a subwoofer without splicing into or irreversibly modifying the stock system components.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Board Members,

Many members on this board have probably considered upgrading their audio systems at some point during their ownership experience but were maybe hesitant in altering the original aesthetics and functionality of their vehicle's audio system. I recently decided I wanted to upgrade the stereo head unit in my E39 540i to something that had more of the modern conveniences. I was using a small FM transmitter to play music through bluetooth and to charge my phone via USB but lots of static and intermittent pauses led me to want to pursue a better setup. I wanted bluetooth, a direct USB connection for charging, and the OEM look. I created this post so that others can learn of the option I went with, in case they are looking for options.

I initially wanted to install a XTRONS head unit (a cheap chinese android head unit) because it ticked all the boxes. It's also compatible with the stock DSP amplifier and has a bluetooth OBD2 connector you can purchase separately to read codes on the display. The problem was, every single local car audio shop refused to install it out of fear of liability, due to the cheap quality of these units. Sure many have had good experiences, I'm sure, but these shops warned me that if and when the unit fails, they are not responsible. After more research, I discovered that many people have had defective units and that the company offers poor customer support. I reached out to XTRONS and was not impressed with their responses, so I was stuck figuring out what the next best thing was. I posted on this forum to hear feedback, get some input, and hopefully discover something new.

A member of this board, Dennis Cooper, introduced me to a new product he engineered called the Innovadrive NXG-39. I learned that it would be compatible with high quality head units and would address many the functionalities I sought. He had created a genuinely high quality fascia/fitting kit. It looked identical to the OEM 16:9 Navigation head unit offered with the higher-spec E39s. The overall aesthetics looked Genuine BMW, like it came from the BMW Factory in Germany. Dennis shared with me that this fitting kit is compatible with several new and high quality head units available on the market and provided me with an abundance of information and examples of successful installations. I went ahead and got the NXG-39, an Alpine iLX-W650 and an Alpine 4-channel Amp. I also got the steering wheel adapters and additional parts needed to integrate the head unit.

I wanted to change the trim for while from the Euro-Spec Matte Chrome to a Glossy "Piano" Black trim so I bought Oracal Wrap and Wrapped the Trim myself. I did this at the same time.

Some Before and After photos:

Before:

View attachment 934748

View attachment 934749

After:

View attachment 934750

View attachment 934751

A quick overview is that the installer must first affix the head unit to the NXG-39. Steps are below:

1) Mount the chosen head unit into the NXG-39 by drilling mounting holes to match the head unit's mounting screw holes.

2) You'd then drop the lower dashboard.

3) Remove the OEM audio and cage. Once the OEM cage is removed, there's nothing to cut. If/when you need to sell the car, you can reverse the install procedure, refit the OEM stuff and bring it back to stock. Please note I had a non-nav unit from the factory (CD not cassette) and that some non-nav units (the cassette units) have mounting holes inside the dash. I am a little unsure of which units do and do not - if anybody has more info on this, please share.

4) Drill 4 mounting holes in the NXG-39's outer side panels to match the OEM screw holes and secure in place.

5) Connect the wiring and then refit the lower dash piece.

6) The buttons are pressable, back lit & dimmable, with the PCB which has a connector in order to be able to attach wiring to. They are purely for aesthetics (the volume knobs too). Dimmable backlighting when connected to the cars loom is integrated along with a close resemblance to the car's original dash backlight color.

The installation of the Kit with the headunit is straight forward. You drill 4 holes on each side, 2 holes on the inner part and 2 on the outer part - of both sides - and then affix the head unit inside with bolts, nuts, and washers. The material is not flimsy or weak, it's sturdy and very durable so no need to worry about cracking this fitting kit. I didn't drill holes yet here but this gives you a visual understanding.

View attachment 934753

I didn't get a photo of the fitting kit with the drilled holes but this photo from Dennis illustrates what it looks like before fitting the head unit:

View attachment 934757

Once the Head unit is in place and fits inside the kit, you can plug the appropriate wiring and slide the unit in snugly. The fit is so exact that it just slides in firmly and sits very tightly in place. Here is the head unit being placed inside the dash:

View attachment 934755

And of course the final result:

View attachment 934756

Overall, this route offers higher quality audio and parts, the OEM look, and all the functionalities one would need for their new setup. I am more than happy with the final results and hope this post was helpful.

If you're interested in having a fascia/fitting kit like the NXG-39, feel free to find Dennis Cooper on this board and he is happy to help you out.

Thanks for reading!

- Alan
Are these still available by any chance? And if so, where can I purchase one?
Thank you

41 - 60 of 69 Posts