BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a quick question for you guys.

Does the E46 M steering wheel fit on a E39 M5(I have the old M5 steering wheel)? And if it does fit are they the same or different in any way.
*I heard they do fit

Secondly does the 16:9 E46 TV screen fit in a E39 M5(I have the smaller screen).
*I heard they don't fit

Reason for this is there are many breakers with thrashed/mangled M3s and not as many M5s. So M3 parts come by more often than M5.

Thanks in advance. :byee55amg

- Kin

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
Yes, the E46 M3 steering wheel will probably fit. I'm pretty sure that they're the same parts. However the 16:9 nav screen will NOT fit in your M5.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi,

Yep the wheel from the post 2001 E46/E39/X5's will fit, infact any of the later M style round airbag wheels will. It is very simple swap, I have just done it. There is one previso though your car needs to have been built post 03/99 as this is when BMW switched from single to dual stage airbags.

If you do a search on the forum, there are many threads on this subject and some detailed instructions over on www.BMWtips.com (for an X5) but process is the same. Member Tin posted some useful tips a while back.

And as stated the screen in the E46 is not compatible as it has a differently shaped fascia to the E39 and so won't fit, or even if it went in the hole may look very odd.

I would assume you have a 99\00 which as you have the 4:3 screen and probably the MKII nav. If you have a TV module you will need to swap it out for a 16:9 version or if you are happy to do without it, then the nav may display correctly on a 16:9 screen (depends on firmware).

If you want any more info PM me.

All the best
-Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts