BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my M5 for about six months now and I would really like to have a smoother shifter. Shorter would be ok too, but in particular I'd like to have less notchiness. Any and all advice would be welcome.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
You can't have both a shorter shifter and one that is smoother or less notchy. All short shifters work by altering the geometry resulting in less leverage, so effort will increase slightly and there will be more notchiness. The notchiness is inherent in the transmission internals, not the linkage. That said, if you really want a shorter, more precise shift, get a short shift kit from UUC, Rogue or Autosolutions. Do a search and you'll find tons of info on this.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I've got the UUC Evo3 and love it. It gives you a nice "click" when you engage each gear. Nice and positive, but not overly short. Does not require you to be a muscleman to shift gears like some short shifters. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
palantirion,

From what you have stated as your needs, it sounds like the Rogue SSK with WSR would be a good choice for you. This particular kit is one of the least aggressive shifters, but does reduce throw length, increase percision, and provide for a better overall shifting experience. Check out our website (www.beastpower.com) for more information on this kit, along with the others that we provide. Please don't hesitate to contact if you have an interest in ordering something, or any further questions.

Travis

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done some reading on the topic and RE's WSR seems like a no-brainer. The question is, which is a better, more precisely-shifting kit: RE's or UUC's?

Need4Spd, I notice you have the RE combo, how do you like it? Have you any experience with UUC's kit(s)?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
palantirion said:
I've done some reading on the topic and RE's WSR seems like a no-brainer. The question is, which is a better, more precisely-shifting kit: RE's or UUC's?

Need4Spd, I notice you have the RE combo, how do you like it? Have you any experience with UUC's kit(s)?
Two comments:

1. I would ignore all input on which is better EXCEPT that from folks who have used BOTH on the same Transmission. (Ignore might be too strong, but every short shift kit feels FANTASTIC, WOMDERFUL, THE BEST compared to stock...)

2. I feel that a sloppy factory shifter can exacerbate the 'notchiness' feeling. I don't mind notchy- I hate
imprecise

A

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I have a combo of UUC and RE WSR. The combo works well. The WSR smooths out the shifts a bit, but the tradeoff is that the shifts feel a little slower b/c of the inertia. This is all in perfect character for a V8 car like the M5. But I'm not so sure I'd want the same combo in my M3. If I had to do it over today, I'd be tempted to go for the UUC Evo 3 alone or with DSSR (it's a replacement selector rod but supposedly not a weighted one like the WSR). If I wanted smooth, I'd go for the Rogue Octane kit, which comes with WSR. I don't think there's a "bad" choice between the two.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I don't think this gearbox will ever be not-notchy. I have a WSR w/o the short-shifter. Usiing the OE fluid I noticed maybe a 25% improvement in feel, subtle at best. I'll probably go with Royal Purple and leave it at that.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Need4Spd said:
I'd be tempted to go for the UUC Evo 3 alone or with DSSR (it's a replacement selector rod but supposedly not a weighted one like the WSR).
Actually, the DSSR is "weighted" - it's a very similar weight to the WSR.

But as the weighting of a selector rod is of minimal effect (and UUC is all about maximum gain), that's not the "marketing" we do. Heck, if weight was all that was important, you could get $5 worth of lead plumber's tape and stick it to your original selector rod.

The purpose of the DSSR is to nail down the last area of the shifter assembly that improves precision. No need to explain how it works again here when all the info and some eye-opening animated images do the job here:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/dssr

Demonstration of free play (slop) in gear:

If I wanted smooth, I'd go for the Rogue Octane kit, which comes with WSR.
Heh. Any day of the week, we can put any other brand shifter brand shifter and a UUC EVO3 in the test rig (fully functional transmission and shifter carrier in a stand) and you too can see that nothing is as smooth and precise as the EVO3 - the only all-bearing shifter. As was stated above, the only "informed" opinion is the from people who have experienced the shifters in question in the same transmission (not the same type, but the actual unit). We accept that challenge.

As for "less aggressive" commentary above, remember that all UUC shifters can be custom-built to your personal specifications at no additional charge. While we feel our standard 35% reduction in shifter travel is ideal, we offer less reduction (but with all the precision) of around 22% as an immediate-ship option... or even more than 35% if you want, including 50% and even 65% for the masochistic.

There are also height options available... in addition to the standard 3/4" height adjustability of the EVO3, your shifter can be customized with a baseline height as much as 2" or more shorter. The possibilities of how you can build your EVO3 are limited only by your imagination (and some practicality... :)).

For more info on the UUC EVO3 "Ultimate Short Shifter", please see:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_product/bmw_shifters/shifter_nav.htm

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Rob Levinson said:
Actually, the DSSR is "weighted" - it's a very similar weight to the WSR.

But as the weighting of a selector rod is of minimal effect (and UUC is all about maximum gain), that's not the "marketing" we do. Heck, if weight was all that was important, you could get $5 worth of lead plumber's tape and stick it to your original selector rod.

The purpose of the DSSR is to nail down the last area of the shifter assembly that improves precision. No need to explain how it works again here when all the info and some eye-opening animated images do the job here:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/dssr

Demonstration of free play (slop) in gear:

Heh. Any day of the week, we can put any other brand shifter brand shifter and a UUC EVO3 in the test rig (fully functional transmission and shifter carrier in a stand) and you too can see that nothing is as smooth and precise as the EVO3 - the only all-bearing shifter. As was stated above, the only "informed" opinion is the from people who have experienced the shifters in question in the same transmission (not the same type, but the actual unit). We accept that challenge.

As for "less aggressive" commentary above, remember that all UUC shifters can be custom-built to your personal specifications at no additional charge. While we feel our standard 35% reduction in shifter travel is ideal, we offer less reduction (but with all the precision) of around 22% as an immediate-ship option... or even more than 35% if you want, including 50% and even 65% for the masochistic.

There are also height options available... in addition to the standard 3/4" height adjustability of the EVO3, your shifter can be customized with a baseline height as much as 2" or more shorter. The possibilities of how you can build your EVO3 are limited only by your imagination (and some practicality... :)).

For more info on the UUC EVO3 "Ultimate Short Shifter", please see:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_product/bmw_shifters/shifter_nav.htm
**** I didn't know you would do all the custom stuff or I would have had that done :( :cheers:

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Jayson said:
**** I didn't know you would do all the custom stuff or I would have had that done :( :cheers:
Most UUC parts are customizable, it just requires asking.

You might be surprised at the number of custom projects that we do that are not put on the website.

- Rob

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rob Levinson said:
Most UUC parts are customizable, it just requires asking.

You might be surprised at the number of custom projects that we do that are not put on the website.

- Rob
Slightly off-topic, but speaking of custom projects: Rob, how did you upload that custom avatar?

·
Vendor
619 Posts
palantirion said:
Slightly off-topic, but speaking of custom projects: Rob, how did you upload that custom avatar?
There used to be an option under UserCP, I don't see it now. Maybe Gustav can shed some light on this?

- Rob

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Re: well..............

FAST 5 said:
FYI........
Dinan short shifter kit is just around the corner from being released. Huummmm......... :hihi: :M5thumbs:
I'll have to pull out my UUC and upgrade to the Dinan- ESPECIALLY since it won't void my warranty.

Plus, it's GOT to be better. It just has to...

Ever the troublemaker,

Ard

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

ard said:
I'll have to pull out my UUC and upgrade to the Dinan- ESPECIALLY since it won't void my warranty.

Plus, it GOT to be better.

Ever the troublemaker,

Ard
I AM curious to see Dinan's, as I am a big fan of their products. Eric, if you read this can you shed some light on:

1) Why/if the Dinan shifter will be better than UUC's or RE's? What unique features will it offer that Dinan feels the competition lacks?

2) When it will be available for E39 M5s?

·
Registered
4,406 Posts

palantirion said:
I AM curious to see Dinan's, as I am a big fan of their products. Eric, if you read this can you shed some light on:

1) Why/if the Dinan shifter will be better than UUC's or RE's? What unique features will it offer that Dinan feels the competition lacks?

2) When it will be available for E39 M5s?

ERIC ???????????????????????????????????? ??????

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

FAST 5 said:
ERIC ???????????????????????????????????? ??????
?????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts