BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the safety rating for the E39 OEM roof racks? I need to transport a Gladiator one piece cabinet that roughly 60" x 30" x 18" for 15 miles or so. I'm using a couple of ratcheting straps to hold it and will travel slowly, but is the roof racks up to the task? Unfortunately I don't have a mini van yet, but open to suggestions on cargo hauler for future use.

The cabinet is around 125 lbs, should I put up 2 x 4s across the bars to spread the weight? :cheers:

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

220 lbs total.
very helpful post. I guess not many here use the car as a hauler. hiha Off I go to the local depot!:1:

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No, like this. hiha

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've often wondered about my bicycle up there. Not so much the bike weight obviously but the drag coefficient over 125 mph has to be adding to the load substantially. Add to that a kayak and its probably better to stay in double digits.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Thanks for the weights.

I had remembered that the BMW curb weight of 4024 included a driver. I remembered 75 kilos, but could not find it. While your chart does not show the weight of the driver, your weight chart shows a driver included. If net weight of 75k (165 lbs, pretty average size outside the U.S.), that leaves a true net weight of 3860 lbs (including fuel).

Regards,
Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts