BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

E39 rod bearins outer side lubricate or not during install?

825 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bmwforlife 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

I am in process of bearings replacement and I can't seem to find any information if I should apply lubricant (engine oil) to the outer side of the bearings. I started assembling applying oil before fitting them in and now when I am half way done it occurred to me that applying oil may case them to span around.

Could anybody confirm that it would not be an issue?

Thank you in advance. I really hope I won't need to take it all back apart and ordering new bolts again....

#3 ·
I have always cleaned the shell outside diameters and bearing housing bores with brake cleaner to make sure there is no oil on them. The shells rely mainly on the cap crush to stop them spinning if the crank journal touches them, so it doesn't make sense to oil them and reduce friction.

I think you'll find if you google it that's what's recommended.

#4 ·
No need to lube the backsides. Do what 68FB says and clean with brake or carb cleaner. I have used engine assembly lube on the inner bearing surfaces as it is more tacky and slippery than engine oil for the 1st startup. Although most people probably just use oil w/o problems.

#6 ·
I understand now, that I should not have put oil on back side, but considering the fact that I did and tied bolts down already with proper torque already, should disassemble it now and redo at this point, or it won't hurt anything ? Bolts cost $12 each and it will take another week for them to arrive.

#7 ·
It doesn't matter :)

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.