BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I looked about and couldn't see any thread on this but figured one must exist? At some point I'm sure we all look at this with our beasts. I'm putting together an M5 slowly (with a lot of help from Clemster's supplies). I bought a 540 as a 'parts car' with full interior to swap into the beast but decided to keep it after an epic 3 day road trip from Florida to Texas picking it up. My problem is now I want to put in a modern stereo but I want it to look good and integrate with the look. Those ones that have a big cutout panel around them (sorry if you've done this) won't do it for me. I've found this one online and wonder if anyone has put one in, or has an opinion on it? I've seen multitudes on eBay from Hong Kong and am also dubious about those but this one looks good.
(Hope links work in here)
BMW 5 Series (E39)/ X5 (E53)/ M5 Navigation Head Unit

Appreciate any and all advice as its not cheap.

·
Registered
51 Posts
unfortunately its difficult to get a modern stereo and have it fit in with the look of a 15 year old car but the one matt linked isnt a bad choice
gl

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am seriously considering: US Camera Android 6.0 Car Stereo DVD Player GPS for BMW 5 Series E39 1996-2003 E | eBay
I currently have an E46 ZHP with an AVIN unit that is very similar I think and love being able to have WAZE on the dash while driving (set up my phone as a hotspot while driving to communicate to WAZE). and I also use HERE Maps and navigation as it allows you to download maps and works great offline. I would love it if someone had feedback on the unit from them as I have been waiting for Tommy from AVIN to offer the 3rd gen android 6 version for a while.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I attempted a couple of the adapters to integrate BT and iPod years ago. I was not happy with the performance and sound of any of the things I tried. I decided to just go full aftermarket and sacrifice the factory look to get the connectivity and sound I wanted. I will admit that when I first saw the install I absolutely hated the aesthetics of it. The sound though is amazing! The Alpine head unit I picked has a mounting depth that came in contact with the HVAC system in that area so it was either hack it up or offset the head unit to the left. I opted for the latter. Admittedly most of the folks on here would cringe at this but that's what worked the best. Six years later and I hardly notice it now.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Hi all,
I looked about and couldn't see any thread on this but figured one must exist? At some point I'm sure we all look at this with our beasts. I'm putting together an M5 slowly (with a lot of help from Clemster's supplies). I bought a 540 as a 'parts car' with full interior to swap into the beast but decided to keep it after an epic 3 day road trip from Florida to Texas picking it up. My problem is now I want to put in a modern stereo but I want it to look good and integrate with the look. Those ones that have a big cutout panel around them (sorry if you've done this) won't do it for me. I've found this one online and wonder if anyone has put one in, or has an opinion on it? I've seen multitudes on eBay from Hong Kong and am also dubious about those but this one looks good.

"The product is not available for viewing. Check back at a later time."

·
Registered
53 Posts
Another option to think about- I kept my factory and put in a grom Bluetooth unit. Full iPhone control from steering wheel, hands free calling and easy to install. Just update it's programming so it won't override the screen with its titlte constantly (simple). Keeps the classic look, avoids all headaches.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My Nav unit is 'kaput', second or third one since 2003. Does the "Grom" unit need the stock Nav unit to work? Looked quickly at their web site, couldn't tell or I just didn't see it. The bigger screen of the Dynavin unit would be a plus for me, bifocals and all ;-)

Tom L.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No- the grom replaces the cd changer, so the head unit thinks it's playing a cd. It plugs directly in after you unplug the cd changer, so this is 100% reversible, no wires cut or spliced. I use Waze or google maps from my phone, so I get spoken directions through the stereo, works very well I think for a 17 year old car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
e39 replacement head unit

Hi all,

I was wondering which head unit you ultimately replaced you radio with. I have looked at the unit you included in your original post out of the Austin site and curious if you went with that one or not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am looking to update my stereo. I like the factory look. Does anybody know about FM blocker? Allows you to amplify a better signal with a fm modulator?

Can anyone elaborate on the auxiliary input and why they were unhappy?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ok, so actually I have a lot to add to this thread! I too wanted a much more modern infotainment setup in my 2000 540i and am very pleased where I've gotten things now, so hopefully someone will find this useful:

1.) Headunit - I use this Eonon unit. 2 major advantages with it are that the steering wheel controls work perfectly, and it sits flush to the dash unlike almost all of the other similar units that are curved to fit the X5 and while still fit, look dumb in the e39. (Looks like there is a more updated Oreo unit now available, but I can't speak to that one, just to the older one I currently have):
https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GPS/Vehicle-Specific-GPS/GA6201.html

2.) Software - Unfortunately while the Chinese hardware seems adequate, the software is basically crap. Fortunately with Android being open source, there's much more capable custom roms available. I use this one from Malaysk, HUGELY faster/more responsive, more customizable, no bloatware, etc:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcd-software-development/rom-malaysk-roms-mtcd-device-t3385309

3.) AndroidAuto - This part really shines. For $6 from the play store you can get this emulator to run AndroidAuto on any Android receiver, and it works marvelously. Now I get into my 18 year old car, plug in my phone, and just say "Hey Google, navigate to (destination of choice)," or "Hey Google, play (musical artist of my choice)." Can't beat that with a stick!
https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/paid-software/android-4-1-headunit-reloaded-android-t3432348

If you're an iphone user, sorry, you chose the wrong side, and thanks to Apple's love of being proprietary and the fat middle finger they give to anyone who wants to try to tweak with their stuff it's much harder to get functional CarPlay. However there's a place the advertises a USB dongle with a CarPlay port on it for use in Android head units. No idea if/how well this works, but just including it here for information:
AllGo | CarPlay

·
Registered
5 Posts
I second going with an Eonon or Xtrons unit.

I tackled this project on my 540i and it really wasn't all that bad. My car has DSP so I went with the Resler interface and i-Bus app. It's quite awesome to be able to code the car (some features) directly from the headunit along with adding features never offered by the factory such as one-touch blinkers for lane changes. I did end up 3D printing mounting brackets for the head unit. They aren't perfect, but they're much better than the flimsy metal ones that come with the unit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
On a related note, I'm now shopping for a new unit for the 2000 M5 I just acquired, but there the on board computer is built into the head unit, correct? Any way to update this and still keep the OBC functions? In the 540i it was easy to just move the OBC part into the glovebox, but doesn't seem to me that this is an option on the M5 :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
I finally pulled the trigger and replaced the entire DVD Navigation system including head unit, amplifiers, subwoofers etc. The new Pioneer 2 Piece DMH-C2500NEX Android Auto/Carplay fits nicely in the E39 factory space with no modification of the heater core required. The factory subwoofer enclosure under the rear deck was removed, and a compact 10" JL subwoofer built into a small fiberglass enclosure in the corner of the trunk makes additional height in the trunk for luggage etc. All factory speakers were replaced, and a steering wheel control adapter was installed along with Sirius satellite & backup camera.

Here is a link to photos of the install:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BovvxgCr1TftsTVd8

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do you have a parts list besides the head unit? Did you do this yourself? Would love to upgrade my system -- and yours looks fantastic.

I finally pulled the trigger and replaced the entire DVD Navigation system including head unit, amplifiers, subwoofers etc. The new Pioneer 2 Piece DMH-C2500NEX Android Auto/Carplay fits nicely in the E39 factory space with no modification of the heater core required. The factory subwoofer enclosure under the rear deck was removed, and a compact 10" JL subwoofer built into a small fiberglass enclosure in the corner of the trunk makes additional height in the trunk for luggage etc. All factory speakers were replaced, and a steering wheel control adapter was installed along with Sirius satellite & backup camera.

Here is a link to photos of the install:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BovvxgCr1TftsTVd8

1 - 19 of 19 Posts