BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I just awoke from a glorious dream: I had added a second E39 to my stable and had spent all day and night driving them around. My current M5 was in the dream ('02 Carbon Black), but also apparently somewhere I had bought/found a Sakhir Orange E39!

I have no experience repainting cars and I have no idea how doing such a thing would affect resale value.

To all of you that have ever repainted your E39s, am I insane to repaint carbon black to Sakhir Orange? Is this even possible? If so, how do I go about doing it, and how much would it cost, approximately?

(As an aside, they say it's good to keep a dream journal, here's mine!)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi,

It's very possible to do a colour change respray on any car. There's been a few threads right here in the E39 M5 section about it quite recently too as other owners have done this too!

A full, excellent job, colour change respray will cost I'd imagine anywhere $6000+ and into that you'll need to add the cost of any replacement trim parts that will most likely break when preparing the car. It will absolutely affect resale value downwards, as most buyers of these cars only 'want' 100% oem cars.

Do some more evaluations and I say go for it !

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yes its possible anything is with the right amount of cash and this would be a lot of it. A "good" repaint in color matching is about $8k-10k NOW you want to change the color which means, if done right, all door jambs, door panels inside, engine bay, trunk interior etc etc. That is a lot of work and that equals $$$$$. BUT maybe you can find the same paint booths the Wheeler Dealer guys use and get it done a lot cheaper, but paintwork is not something to go on the cheap. Since you dont have many details on the mileage or condition I'd say you could approach the value of the car in a good color change paint of the car. Some guys on here will disagree but this would be easily a $11k+ job an likely more IF you want to do it right and complete.

My suggestion unless you have a project car you want to do this with I'd say go with something less permanent like a wrap.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Don't do it if you're even remotely thinking about resale value.

Reactions: twiggym5 and AGM5

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Like others have said possible and costly if done right, not sure on the color though orange looks allot nicer on 2 doors v/s 4 doors for whatever reason. If you are going through all this pain to get a fresh coat of paint, why consider selling anyway.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Have fun and experiment with Plastidip (removable/peelable paint). Not sure if you'll find that color though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There's some YouTube videos out there of a guy who plasti dipped or wrapped his car. He did orange and them lime green. From what I remember, the orange looked amazing! However, I would not paint your M5 that color. Good luck and post pics if you decide to do it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Funny, my dreams involve like 50 women, getting dirty from washing my car then taking a shower, all together, at the same time, with me. :0

PS: I DARE YOU TO PAINT YOUR CAR SAKHIR ORANGE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts