BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Just wanted to post pics of the process I did for the Rear Shift Carrier Bushing replacement. Once I figured out where to position the pry bar/screw driver to pop it out the rest of the job took about 10 minutes! It was much easier to do than I thought based on what I had read and the results are awesome! Took out ALL the slop in my shifter.

To remove simply insert the blade of a screw driver between the top of the bushing and the body as shown in the picture and pry downward. It will pop right out.

To install the new bushing slip it onto the end of the shift carrier and align into place, get one side of the teeth of the body mount point into the bushing, pry up from underneath with a long pry bar and it will pop right in. If you have trouble getting it to stay aligned in one spot use a little duct tape to hold it in position then pop it into place with a pry bar.

No other components needed to be removed to install and it literally took 10 minutes to do with the vehicle on a lift and the undercarriage protector plates removed.

Unlike the process described in the link below I reinforced mine with black Permatex and o-rings. It worked perfectly.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/203311-diy-reinforce-your-shifter-carrier-bushing.html

For all in need of tightening up floppy shifters I have 4 rear shift carrier bushings for E39 manual trans. $80 each. Shipped in the US.

If you desire I can reinforce it for you with black Permatex and o-rings as I did with my own.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No idea how I got the title wrong but it includes the price from my for sale thread and I can't seem to edit the tag line!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I do not know anything about the Rogue SSK setup. I have the UUC short shifter and DSSR. That uses the stock carrier. I imagine yours does as well. You will have to check and see.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Bought this bushing a while ago but never installed. So much shifter slop. May attempt this weekend thanks to you.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Tried but the darn thing would not come out no matter what I did. I will do more research and try again.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you look at the second picture in my post you will see a scratch on the right side of the mount right where the carrier bushing meets it. Get your screw driver in between the mount and bushing right above that point. Drive the screwdriver in about a 1/4" with a tap hammer. This should compress the bushing a bit and cause a gap to open up between the bushing and the mount surface. Then slide the screwdriver in at the top and pry straight down.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If you look at the second picture in my post you will see a scratch on the right side of the mount right where the carrier bushing meets it. Get your screw driver in between the mount and bushing right above that point. Drive the screwdriver in about a 1/4" with a tap hammer. This should compress the bushing a bit and cause a gap to open up between the bushing and the mount surface. Then slide the screwdriver in at the top and pry straight down.
Ah, on the SIDE - yes, I see it, good tip. I will try again. I assume the new one slides in from the rear, but the foil heat protector seems to be in the way somewhat. Did you lube up the new one with anything or just slide it in place by hand?

When I move the shifter knob from below, the area where the foam/rubber boot sits on the chassis itself seems to move around some - I'm guessing maybe that area needs some attention also but the carrier bushing in my car is very sloppy and I'm sure just this alone will remove a lot of the slop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts