BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
^...... which brings up the newest saga. On the way back home that day it was like 100 F and after about an hour on the highway the car went into limp mode. I could go only about 60 mph the rest of the way. No SES light and it ran fine the next day and rest of the year until last week when it did the same thing on a trip down to Dallas. Check oil level light came on, about 4K miles since last oil change which is normal for my car. Thirty minutes later, limp mode again and this time SES light. Was about 80 F outside that day.
So I limped in to the nearest Autozone and got some oil and a readout. Codes were 144/145 which the reader listed as RICH banks 1 and 2 and suggested MAFS were bad. So I unplugged the MAFS and the car ran fine. Later that night drive back to OK MAFS unplugged and car ran fine.
Next day I ran INPA and got code 129 as well as the other two.
However, doing a little more research, 145/144 aren't actually rich codes, they are "O2 sensor fuel control." And 129 is "cat protection- low fuel/empty tank." Hmmmm.
My fuel pump and filter have about 15K miles on them. Decided to clean the MAFS which are also fairly new. To complicate matters I have aftermarket intakes which use K&N oiled filters. I am careful not to over oil them. I pulled and cleaned the MAFS then pulled the intake tubes off to have a look. Immediately saw some oil in the bank 1 tube. ****e! Do I have a plenum full of oil? Peeked inside, and it actually looked pretty dry. Decided to pull the top off for a better look and it looked OK. I pulled the hose off the plenum oil drain and it was dry inside. Decided while I was there to make sure the banjo bolt for the plenum drain was clean.

Based on all of this, I decided to order a new fuel pump relay.

Any other ideas?

Some pics:
IMG_1042.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1041.JPG

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Throw a regulator at it too. Hot fuel and cruising around 2000 - 2500 rpm? Old spring just gets a little softer and likely cuts the fuel to low levels when it should not.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Does the fuel actually bathe the spring? I would have thought it was on other side of the diaphragm. But I agree probably worth doing for piece of mind.

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
No, doubt the spring is in the fuel but it is in the body and the hot fuel will will transfer that heat to all the metal. I would think the whole reg becomes the same temp as the fuel most of the time, but once the housing heats up, then it may keep things hot even if the fuel was to cool.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
No, doubt the spring is in the fuel but it is in the body and the hot fuel will will transfer that heat to all the metal. I would think the whole reg becomes the same temp as the fuel most of the time, but once the housing heats up, then it may keep things hot even if the fuel was to cool.
I can attest that the regulator/filter assembly does get very hot in the summer after driving a bunch.

I would think the oil in one intake to be troubling, or a sign, but it's not enough to go on.

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
I would think the oil in one intake to be troubling, or a sign, but it's not enough to go on.
I think so too, but for the life of me can't figure out how or what. It is what made me think of the regulator. If something caused high vacuum that might prevent oil going down the drains. We know you can draw it up the drains if you apply enough vacuum. We have both been there done that. LMAO
IF a high vacuum was created it would also trigger the regulator when it should not be, reducing fuel pressure. Great theory but no idea how that could in fact really happen. Just because you don't know how something could happen does not mean it can't happen.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Any correlation to the fuel level in the tank at the time? I’ve seen fuel pumps start to act up when it’s warm and the total volume of fuel starts to get low.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I think it's two separate problems going on. Don't recall the fuel levels but I don't think it was below 1/4 either time. I will make note if it happens again.
The oil issue is a head scratcher. Oil in the tube at the plenum connection on one side only. Not much in the plenum. Cyclones and hoses are relatively new. Could be crud in the passenger side arm of the CCV hard drain pipe so more oil vapor entering the plenum on that side. Trouble is that pipe is a %$&@ to get to. Anybody ever tried a bottle brush down that thing?

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
The maf tube you find the oil in has little to do with what side it comes in on and more to do with how level the ground is. Also it is not an issue of blockage with the drain tubes. The issue is they get mushy and collapse under vacuum, higher vacuum will collapse them easier.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
My cyclones and hoses are all relatively new. The hard pipe to the sump has never been replaced or cleaned. Knowing how the PO to care of this car (he didn't) I wouldn't be surprised if there was crud in it which would prevent oil from draining and creating more oil vapor in the manifold. I think the oil in the tube is just condensation from oil vapor in plenum.

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
I think the oil in the tube is just condensation from oil vapor in plenum.
That would be pretty hard with the volume of air that flows thru those air tubes. Might happen after the car is shut off but then it would be in both tubes not one.
You could have the pressure regulator failing on bank 2.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Update 2019:
Did a full VANOS solenoid blowout (for the third time) and replaced the FPR. Car was running so good afterwards that the clutch started slipping LMAO.
So now I finally had no excuse left on holding off putting in the Jedders that have been collecting dust.

Learned the hard way, you definitely wanna drop the SF for this job.

Had a local shop weld in some HJS sport cats.

Went with Jed's lightened FW and a South Bend Stage 2 clutch.

New slave cylinder being flushed.

Also replaced the rear main seal and side diff seals but mistakenly did not replace the transmission input shaft seal. After all was done I had a small leak from the bell housing. At first I assumed it was the RMS leaking but you could see the bottom of the RMS cover plate through the bell housing holes and the plate was clean. After collecting enough of the fluid drip I saw it was MTF. Turns out it was two of the trans harness wires crossing the top and laying on the trans vent cap. Moved the wires and the leak is gone (cheers to the telemechanic Sailor24)!

Well that was enough work for this go around.o_O Saving the rod bearings for winter.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Update 2020.
In keeping with the trends this year....... problems.
Put in new clutch, Jedders, and sport cats last summer and the car ran good all year till about a month ago when I noticed a temporary loss of power. Pull codes and all I got was a DMTL code. Then last week on a road trip I ran out of gas with 1/4 tank showing on the gauge. Filled up and it ran fine until the next day when again noticed power loss on acceleration. Cruising the highway it was fine.
Got home and pulled codes, misfires without cutoff on cyls 5,6,7 plus Lambda control bank 2. Misfires are mostly around 2000 rpm. INPA showed STFT at 1.25.
So I smoke tested the intake and saw nothing. Then did the exhaust and found a pretty substantial leak at the slip joint right behind the post cat O2 sensor on bank 2. I'm assuming this is the culprit.
Car runs rough and exhaust is spitting out black gold.
Here's a video.
It's always something......

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
And they say post cat O2s don't effect the fuel trims. If that is the problem and I bet it is, it sort of proves that wrong. Do have an Xpipe or other connector between the pipes and is it after that joint?
Memory tweak something about that running out of gas at a 1/4 tank. Don't remember what it is just a vague notion it has a few threads started, might want to search that.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Yep X pipe right behind that joint. I can see why you need a post O2 to monitor for a clogged cat. I guess there is programming for a lean condition as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Can you do a fuel pressure and flow test at WOT in a high gear?
Both your symptoms are consistent of a failing fuel pump.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Can you do a fuel pressure and flow test at WOT in a high gear?
Both your symptoms are consistent of a failing fuel pump.
You could be right and I have two or even three issues going on (fuel sender or cluster problem).
But I want to get this leak fixed and probably replace some or all of the O2 sensors before I drive it anymore. I don't want to F up these new cats I put in.

·
Registered
105 Posts
@xrviz , for something down the road I've been looking at a complete exhaust system upgrade from headers to tips. I was originally thing the SS system (as I thought they were one of the only companies who still made S62 header until I saw this thread), but I've heard comments on this forum that the SS cats have been known to throw CEL's. I have since started to look at the HJS units (Universal catalysts - HJS Motorsport & Tuning) and have emailed FabSpeed (Performance Upgrades | Fabspeed® Motorsport USA) on the east coast as I understand they are the only North American supplier.

What size and/or model number did you end up going with for the cats and have you had any CEL's due to the cats much less emission passing issues?

I understand through SS website that they use HJS cats, but I have not been able to verify the style as I have seen both 100 and 200 cel description when it comes to the SS cats and have never been able to get a definitive answer as to why the SS cats throw CEL's, but FabSpeed claims the HJS direct units will not.

Thank you,

81 - 100 of 103 Posts