BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
OK so after pulling the GM, LCM, EWS modules still no communication on the bus. Steering angle sensor works in INPA.
I ohm tested the K line and TXD line and both are intact. By process of elimination, that leaves the IKE as the stinking rat. I found a thread in a VW forum where a guy had a similar issue even though the cluster worked normally otherwise. So I sent the cluster and above mentioned modules off to Paul, the KlusterKing. He was able to confirm it was indeed the IKE module causing the problem. He recoded all modules, which cleared the tamper dot, and now I am finally able to "see" everything in the car for the first time.
Many thanks to those who helped solve this annoying dilemma, Darrell, Paul, and Mike. :cheers:

View attachment 764522
So glad we finally got you all squared away on this. I'm sure that nice new premium M5 cluster looks great too :). You should post some pics of it with the red/orange backlighting.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
So glad we finally got you all squared away on this. I'm sure that nice new premium M5 cluster looks great too :). You should post some pics of it with the red/orange backlighting.
Yeh it looks great, unfortunately my phone cam doesn't do it justice.
cluster.jpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
This entire thread has so much detail and information contained in it, really impressed at the problem solving and in-depth electronic work on all fronts, very impressed and glad to see another M5 continuing to rack up miles.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Thanks much yeh it has been an insane amount of work and not done yet, as I believe my dsc module is crappin out. Im guessing it actually never ends once they get this old.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Decided to do some R&R under the plenum while I'm trying to operate on the DSC module. Changed out vacuum lines and TPS sensors, pulled the fuel injectors.

Merde!
inject1.JPG

Same crap is in the injection ports....
IMG_0584.JPG

Uhh, if you are gonna clean out the ports try not to drop a q-tip down the hole......ouich
IMG_0587.JPG

Injectors back from MEPEH. Seems like a good service, one week turnaround time.
IMG_0588.JPG

·
Registered
541 Posts
Saw the OK plates, where in OK are you? I am north of OKC a couple hours.

Nice job bringing the beast back, we have similar tasks of replacing the car piece by piece although I don't think I have any gremlins to deal with, just getting the car back to my standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Thanks. I'm the other way, southwest. We will have to meet up this summer..... Rontgen will host us if we bring him some good dark beer.:grin

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks. I'm the other way, southwest. We will have to meet up this summer..... Rontgen will host us if we bring him some good dark beer.:grin

Now that you say that I remember seeing a post or his plates from OK. I spent 5 years at Tinker so we actually visit OKC about once a month. Dark beer, Scotch, or Bourbon will work!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Did someone say dark beer, scotch, and bourbon?

Mac214, you in Wichita? I'm on the far, far north side of OKC. Well, I'm in Germany at the moment, but my mailing address is in OK. :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Did someone say dark beer, scotch, and bourbon?

Mac214, you in Wichita? I'm on the far, far north side of OKC. Well, I'm in Germany at the moment, but my mailing address is in OK. :)

Yes to all of those, and yes, I am in Wichita. I have quite a few friends stationed there so I am down quite a bit, although it is always in our van with 2 kids and a dog in tow.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
The saga continues............. Trying to get rid of this:
tirecon.JPG

INPA and ISTA show erratic LF wheel speed, no change when I switch the sensors left to right. I measured the voltage at the sensor connector and wasn't getting the 5 volts I'm supposed to see so I figured I had a bad wire inside the module. Attempted to bridge the contacts inside the dsc module at the correct pin numbers with silver epoxy, but the message still comes back.
dsc2.JPG

So I got a used unit from Clemster (superfast service, thanks Adam!) and installed. Got the DSC light as expected, so I used NCSExpert to recode. Seemed to have worked, however the dsc light did not turn out. So now I'm wondering if the modules are incompatible. My car is '01 and the new module is an '03. The last three numbers of the PN are different. Or, did the recode simply not work? I noticed that it only took like 2 seconds for the program to say 'coding ended' after I hit execute.

Hopefully one of you coding pros will have some good ideas as usual.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Different DSC module? The actual Module itself? I know when I was dealing with my 525 DSC issue, the numbers had to match. When you switched the controller, maybe that control is not compatible with the module you have in the car?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
The saga continues............. Trying to get rid of this:
View attachment 777481

INPA and ISTA show erratic LF wheel speed, no change when I switch the sensors left to right. I measured the voltage at the sensor connector and wasn't getting the 5 volts I'm supposed to see so I figured I had a bad wire inside the module. Attempted to bridge the contacts inside the dsc module at the correct pin numbers with silver epoxy, but the message still comes back.
View attachment 777489

So I got a used unit from Clemster (superfast service, thanks Adam!) and installed. Got the DSC light as expected, so I used NCSExpert to recode. Seemed to have worked, however the dsc light did not turn out. So now I'm wondering if the modules are incompatible. My car is '01 and the new module is an '03. The last three numbers of the PN are different. Or, did the recode simply not work? I noticed that it only took like 2 seconds for the program to say 'coding ended' after I hit execute.

Hopefully one of you coding pros will have some good ideas as usual.
I would try coding it again. Upload file from the original and download to the replacement once re-installed.

I bought a unit from Adam years ago but I remember that the year it came from was different than mine but that it didn't matter. I seem to recall other threads as well that as long at it is the correct module for the car (ie m5 - m5), it should be fine with coding.

I don't know this as fact. I'm just trying to recall my experience. I don't remember needing to match up part #'s.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Different DSC module? The actual Module itself? I know when I was dealing with my 525 DSC issue, the numbers had to match. When you switched the controller, maybe that control is not compatible with the module you have in the car?
Yes I pulled the dsc module off of the hydraulic unit and replaced, '03 module for an '01. Last 3 #s of the PN are different.

I would try coding it again. Upload file from the original and download to the replacement once re-installed.

I bought a unit from Adam years ago but I remember that the year it came from was different than mine but that it didn't matter. I seem to recall other threads as well that as long at it is the correct module for the car (ie m5 - m5), it should be fine with coding.

I don't know this as fact. I'm just trying to recall my experience. I don't remember needing to match up part #'s.
This is the procedure I used:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1765680-DIY-Code-used-E39-DSC-module-w-NCS-Expert

This does not require uploading from the original. Do you have a link for the procedure you used?

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Yes I pulled the dsc module off of the hydraulic unit and replaced, '03 module for an '01. Last 3 #s of the PN are different.
As far as I know, you can't do that. So that is probably your problem....... Last 3 digits have to match.

Reactions: xrviz

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Finally resolved the above issue with a new reman DSC module and snipping the wire to my old deleted NAV module which was shorted out. Full details in another thread http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/541738-inpa-wheel-speed-scan.html

I have one final error message that is now driving me nuts.

chkrear.jpg

I have replaced all bulbs including third brake light. I cleaned all bulb carrier contacts with dremel and rebent the contacts. All the lights work. Ohm tested the taillight wires at the connector and everything is symmetrical right/left. Interestingly the running lights ohm out at 19 kOhms whereas all the other lights are only 0.7 Ohms. I have Schmeidmann taillights. I wonder if this could be the issue.
What is most annoying is that the error message comes from the LCM yet when I look at the LCM with INPA it shows no errors. ouich
Any ideas?

·
Registered
909 Posts
So recap the titecontrol inactive solution again? New DSC module and what? Snipped what wire. I get that message too but all tires are fine so annoying.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
My issue was a complete fluke. I did a complete stereo overhaul so removed my NAV unit. Wire from the old nav somehow got shorted to ground. This wire shares a splice point with the left front wheel speed sensor and was the cause of the error.
Your issue will be most likely one of three things, bad wheel speed sensor, tire control module, or DSC unit. You can learn a lot about how these all work and interact in the other thread i mentioned.
If you have INPA or ISTA you can start to diagnose by reading error codes and looking at wheel speeds while hooked up and driving.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Finally resolved the above issue with a new reman DSC module and snipping the wire to my old deleted NAV module which was shorted out. Full details in another thread http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/541738-inpa-wheel-speed-scan.html

I have one final error message that is now driving me nuts.

View attachment 832890

I have replaced all bulbs including third brake light. I cleaned all bulb carrier contacts with dremel and rebent the contacts. All the lights work. Ohm tested the taillight wires at the connector and everything is symmetrical right/left. Interestingly the running lights ohm out at 19 kOhms whereas all the other lights are only 0.7 Ohms. I have Schmeidmann taillights. I wonder if this could be the issue.
What is most annoying is that the error message comes from the LCM yet when I look at the LCM with INPA it shows no errors. ouich
Any ideas?
Did you measure resistance from the LCM connector? I have a spare LCM IIIA (orig from my 01) that we could use to troubleshoot? Worst case, you could just code out the cold and/or warm check....

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Did you measure resistance from the LCM connector? I have a spare LCM IIIA (orig from my 01) that we could use to troubleshoot? Worst case, you could just code out the cold and/or warm check....
Code it out? That would be admitting defeat!

I measured ohms at the wire connector at the tail light. I also measured voltages from the LCM and everything looked good.
My LCM is a replacement so maybe the fault is in there.

Time for another round of beer diagnostics....

61 - 80 of 103 Posts