BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Xrviz = xray vision Lol!

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Update....... Peake reader fault code for ignition cylinder #2. Check out the nasty looking plug in there. Plug from cylinder 1
for comparison.

Oil in the plug recess so now its on to valve cover gasket replacement...... does anyone have a tis for this they could send??

Happy Holidays :santasmile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It should still crank and run even if cylinder #2 is completely dead. I'd replace all the plugs and work on getting it to run before you worry about valve cover gaskets.

All you need is air, fuel, compression, and spark and it should at least hiccup and try to start. If it's not even trying, you are missing one of the 4!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I didn't mention that it did start very briefly after replacing those two plugs. I will replace the rest and see what I get but
now I'm wondering if I have a low compression issue at #2.... gonna test that as well.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Replaced all plugs to no effect.... no start. So I ordered a spark tester. While I'm waiting for that I decided to look into the fuel side of things.
Never could be sure I hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on. Went to the Bentley to locate the relay. Book says its behind the glovebox
for 01s. Wow..... to remove the glove box and try to access a relay up in that hole where only a snake could go..... that doesn't make sense.
Searching various threads you see all kinds of answers..... small green relays, big double throw relays..... I finally decided to try the black
relay in the trunk.... thanks Joe from PA for the writeup! Jumped the connector and NO action from the pump. Found the the fuse..... blown.
Replaced the fuse and the pump whines...... yeehah! Replaced the relay and turned the key....... VAROOOOMMMM..... THE BEAST ROARS!
What a sweeeet sound...... like getting your first cochlear implant lol.

The next sound is ...... a beer can opening!!

Thanks for the help guys! :cheers:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey awesome that you got the beast to wake up! Just curious...why did someone buy a car like this and just let it sit? Sounds so odd to me, there must be a good reason.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Former owner bought it in 2004. He had a battery drain issue that he wasn't able to resolve so he got a new
vehicle with the intent to fix and then sell the M5. A mechanic was helping him for a while but quit for reasons unknown.
So the car sat for over a year......

·
Registered
308 Posts
I wonder why that fuse blew in the first place.... I understand pumps dying, etc, but I find it a little odd. hopefully it was caused by the hamfisted fixing attempts, not another electrical load issue.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So I took it for a romp the last two evenings. I got a CEL last night with codes B8 bank 1 intake cam Vanos position control and multiple C and D codes for cylinder misfires during warmup. I cleared those and went out tonight. No CEL and I got it to 100 mph. Rechecked code reader and got same faults plus 3 new ones: AA secondary air flow too low, AE air fuel adaptation bank1, and B3 catalyst system efficiency bank 2......

It runs a little rough at idle and low rpm but doesn't stall out or stumble and feels pretty smooth and strong once the tach gets past 2K.

The sound is killer btw haha!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Your cam position sensors might need to be done. I've seen instances where they throw misfire/vanos codes. I would start with those, and it could probably use some new pre cat o2's (cheap on Amazon). As for the cat efficiency... My car gets that code from time to time. I believe my cats are on their way out, but in your case it might just need a good drive.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Codes for multiple misfires during warmup on bank 1. Check out what was inside the air filter box...... :eek:oohhh:

I didn't realize people went offroad in their M5s.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Finally getting around to updating this thread because I am stumped and well the weather just sucks rn.
I picked up this car for $3500. It had been sitting for over a year, maybe two and was a no start total freakin mess, like a mangy stray dog, broken glass in the engine bay, busted hood, compost in the airbox, and the worst sign, a box of fuses sitting on the front seat..... red flag. Found a blown fuel pump relay fuse.
Spent two years cleaning her up, VANOS boards, CPS, O2S, MAFS, valve cover gaskets, etc, etc, etc. Feels like I am replacing the entire car part by part lol. Replaced the entire sound system last year, Dynavin N6, Focal speakers, JL Audio sub in a homemade sealed box. Sounds great btw.
I am now dealing with a couple of minor issues that I cannot solve. I have two check control messages, one for tire control inactive, and check rear lights message. When I try to look at the car with ISTA/D or any scan tool for that matter all I can see is the DME and DSC, none of the other modules on any of the bus lines. This is not a new issue but since the day I got it. I found a thread indicating this was a known problem with early ecu's and fixed with a reflash. I have now done this with no change. I have had the tamper dot since I got the car, and perhaps this is why the bus is down. I replaced the LCM because of the rear lights message, btw all the lights work. I found a spot of corrosion on the tire control module PCB, cleaned off nicely but still with the error message. plus no bus communication with the module disconnected. I found a smoked capacitor with scorch tracks on the GM PCB so I replaced that.
Maintenance records include replaced FSU and battery once or twice, for a battery drain problem which was never really diagnosed from what I can see. I have not had this issue though.
Still cannot connect to read any modules. Should I keep pulling modules one by one and see if the bus fires up? LEW, ECW..... Or pull the IKE module and disconnect everything except the TXD line? Or just send them all off for recoding? Anyone ever tried resetting the modules (disconnect battery and switch on the hazard flasher to drain all the modules capacitors)?
Thoughts?
The car runs great btw and no other electrical issues that I have noticed.
A couple pics.....

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

beast.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Awesome work! I love recovery projects like this!

I HATE dealing with BMW modules! Wish I had some suggestions for you.

Good luck.

--Peter
You have a suggestion, rip them all out and replace with $100K worth of Motec modules and a custom hand built wire harness. Really, the only practical solution ;)

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
You have a suggestion, rip them all out and replace with $100K worth of Motec modules and a custom hand built wire harness. Really, the only practical solution ;)
I almost posted exactly that, viz., rip out the modules and replace them with a custom harness and Motec PDMs. Then I thought better of it. LOL
To fix a 'tire control inactive' message......:rofl:

But I have to say, it is tempting.......

·
Registered
335 Posts
To fix a 'tire control inactive' message......:rofl:

But I have to say, it is tempting.......
just code the BC message out with a software like PA soft 1.4

i just told mine to stop saying tire control inactive

never seen it since

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
OK so after pulling the GM, LCM, EWS modules still no communication on the bus. Steering angle sensor works in INPA.
I ohm tested the K line and TXD line and both are intact. By process of elimination, that leaves the IKE as the stinking rat. I found a thread in a VW forum where a guy had a similar issue even though the cluster worked normally otherwise. So I sent the cluster and above mentioned modules off to Paul, the KlusterKing. He was able to confirm it was indeed the IKE module causing the problem. He recoded all modules, which cleared the tamper dot, and now I am finally able to "see" everything in the car for the first time.
Many thanks to those who helped solve this annoying dilemma, Darrell, Paul, and Mike. :cheers:

tree.JPG

41 - 60 of 103 Posts