BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola
Just acquired a semi-abandoned 01 M5 for a few Gs but needs a lot of work. For starters it doesn't start. Put in a new battery and plugged in the Peake reader and I get an E10 code on the Fc function. Now what? I tried the things the manual suggests. Do I need to send the ECU in for reprogramming?
:confused:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have a couple more E39 M5 projects that run if you're interested?

I doubt you need to get the DME reprogrammed but never looked into E10 code.

If it turns over then check for fuel pressure.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hola
Just acquired a semi-abandoned 01 M5 for a few Gs but needs a lot of work. For starters it doesn't start. Put in a new battery and plugged in the Peake reader and I get an E10 code on the Fc function. Now what? I tried the things the manual suggests. Do I need to send the ECU in for reprogramming?
Is the peake plugged in all the way? and the key switched on? E usually means error not a code, if its code 10, then its crank sensor, 10 Hex = 16 Dec

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh its plugged all the way in and I tried to cycle the key on/off. Peake manual says the it's a hung diagnostic bus.
So the diagnostic bus needs a diagnostic.....

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I don't have any other dx tools. It hasnt run in a year or more. I'm going to drain the fuel tank, replace fuel filter, change oil and coolant, plugs and see if it will start then get it to a shop with a good computer.
Thanks guys...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ok, change the fuel filter. Leave Oil and coolant alone until it runs. You really want it running to do coolant. Unless there is water in it, and not proper coolant, then leave that alone.

Is this your first BMW, what is your level of technical skill, and prior car experience. This is a pretty complicated toy.

RY

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
try unplugging the dsc unit if it has failed it will pull down the pt can line

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and m4.jpg

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an E46 325xi that I have done all the work on the last few years.... half axles, control arms, shocks, brakes, water pump, etc.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have an E46 325xi I have done all the work on the last few years incl. half axles, control arms, shocks, brakes, water pump, etc.

Pics attached.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First owner apparently had Dinan mod done. Second owner got the car in 04. He is not a car guy and cant tell me much.
I did find a repair invoice from 07 where he claimed the battery keeps discharging. I will see if I can find out what they did.....

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hola

The E10 means the peake code reader isn't communicating with your ECU. I would start with checking that your ECU has power at the Main/DME relay with the key in position 2.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Ok, some mods have been done here. What history do you know? Those are some funky looking air boxes....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
GruppeM Intakes, finding a new filter for those will be hard.

The E10 means the peake code reader isn't communicating with your ECU. I would start with checking that your ECU has power at the Main/DME relay with the key in position 2.
Exactly, peake reader isn't fully connected.

I see potential in this M5 unless there are engine gremlins..

Reactions: xrviz

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Btw Peake reader connects and reads normally in my 325xi....

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
You should check the fuses for the DME and as mentioned make sure it is getting power. Have you looked in the DME housing yet? (under the passenger cabin air filter box) Maybe there's a rats nest in there chewing on wires. Any aftermarket electrical components that you can find?

To be clear, the engine will or will not crank over? If it cranks than the DME must have power and you have a potential bus circuit problem.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts