BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
00 M5, the car has both ports, ive never had an issue plugging in a generic OBD component inside the car and it connecting to the car, all of a sudden i am having this issue. i cant get the autozone OBD connector to work now either. it turns on and tries to connect, but nothing. it used to work just fine before.

before you tell me to get a peake, thats not the point here, im trying to get inspection done and use my emissions reader. i failed once already because the cats/O2/SAP were not ready, and i really dont want to waste my 1 free inspection i get.

i got it to work at the inspection station after a lot of hassle, but it seems to have died again. what the plug in the ECU box this involves? i know the port in the engine bay must be shut for the cars port inside to work, but i checked that and it still is no bueno.

help!

thanks

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Is there some sort of harness that couldve come loose or have corrosion on it?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I know it doesn't help get your inside port working, but you could connect the reader directly to the 20 pin connector under the hood with a dlc -> obd2 adapter. The adapters are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have an adapter I could send to you in a pinch - it will allows use of the 20 pin with ur 15 pin reader. I might even be able to lend u somthing a little better than ur auto zone reader ;)

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there some sort of harness that couldve come loose or have corrosion on it?
im going to check for continuity in the morning, im willing to put my money on one of the pins in the OBD2 connector inside the car having come slide out a bit.

I know it doesn't help get your inside port working, but you could connect the reader directly to the 20 pin connector under the hood with a dlc -> obd2 adapter. The adapters are pretty cheap.
yes, that was plan B, only issue is that i need this done monday or ill have to put it off another few months, im already 4 months overdue lol...

I have an adapter I could send to you in a pinch - it will allows use of the 20 pin with ur 15 pin reader. I might even be able to lend u somthing a little better than ur auto zone reader ;)
thanks! i have a Peake tool and a GT1, but those do me no good when the inspection stations are using generic tools. all of my stuff connects just fine in the port outside the car, the port inside is the issue. i think i know of a connector local i may source if i cant fix this thing tomorrow.

i did get it to connect once with my OBD2 inside, i reset the car again so now i need Evap/sap/O2/cats to show ready, FML. hopefully this doesnt get drug out...or ill resort to plan C...which the state says :nono: to but i view it as :S.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm going nuts trying to figure out what is wrong with my odb2 port, my car is a 2002 M5 so it does not have the older 20 pin connector under the hood at all as that was deleted in mid 2000 I believe. Either way took a photo to prove it doesn't have that connector. I have 3 different readers the bluetooth ELM a USB cable connected laptop with INPA, and a Foxwell.
1. Turn the engine on for 3 minutes before connecting No Lunch
2. Check fuse 7 and 15, replace both for ****s and giggles because stupid BMW fuses have a tiny little window to see if they are good and I cannot see it well enough so I replace with standard clear fuses of the right amperage so that I can visually verify they are working, Obviously fuse 7 wasn't the culprit though as the ODB Reader was powered by the ODB port.
3. Visually check the pins They look fine, see photo
4. tried the 3 readers, with different key positions, with different software etc all No Luck
5. Verify my readers on my 2005 E46 ZHP, works fine for all 3 readers. Photo of Foxwell connected to my E46 attached

Anyone have any ideas, did a miss a fuse? or did anyone else experience this as well and if so what was the fix?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,351 Posts
Someone must have broke in and stole 15 on ya. Lol
It does not appear to be used on the M5. It looks like the DME is not sending the info to your units. I assume there is something else wrong to make you plug in the reader, so what might that be could help figure this out? Also check pin one and sixteen with a volt meter and confirm they both have power. Also check to see if both 4 and 5 are good grounds.
OBD port wiring.JPG

·
Registered
91 Posts
Misfire on a cylinder probably due to a bad coil because I bought cheap ones from amazon, misfire started about a month after install, I already bought Bremen replacements, and did the install on the passenger side. Battery was dead though after sitting two months unused and charged so I let it charge overnight after doing the passenger side then went to read the codes and down the rabbit hole I went not getting to the driver side bank like I planned to. Still misfiring too.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone
2,682 Posts
Looks like the connector is there to me. Just pull the whole plastic piece out of the dash for a better look.

Also you're probably going to need to get WDS loaded up so you can start troubleshooting wiring continuity.

·
Registered
10,351 Posts
I was joking right, just in case. Was it misfiring before you put those coils in? Reason for putting them in? On someones advice or did you read the codes then? When was the last time you know you could read the codes?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was joking right, just in case. Was it misfiring before you put those coils in? Reason for putting them in? On someones advice or did you read the codes then? When was the last time you know you could read the codes?
I was doing 100k service and new plugs and coils as part of it, ran fine for about two months but I don’t use it that often.. also I suspect misfire due to lumpy ness and lack of power as well as rich exhaust smell but I cannot pull the code.

·
Registered
10,351 Posts
You sure about your fuse number? There is no fuse 87 88. In the sedans the last small fuse is 65 in the trunk then the primaries in the trunk start at 100. 52 used to control the lighter it was in the trunk but in 09/2000 there was a major wiring change and it moved to the glovebox and became 07.

·
Registered
869 Posts
You sure about your fuse number? There is no fuse 87 88. In the sedans the last small fuse is 65 in the trunk then the primaries in the trunk start at 100. 52 used to control the lighter it was in the trunk but in 09/2000 there was a major wiring change and it moved to the glovebox and became 07.
Sailor you maybe right about the numbers as my car was a 00. I still believe if the lighter fuse is blown the obd won't work.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 34 Posts