BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all, many thanks for passing the wisdom of experience on to the rest of the M5 owners' world, I greatly appreciate it!

My nav screen on my 2000 e39 M5 recently froze then, after a minute or so, went blank, although with thin lines left dancing horizontally at the bottom of the screen (which are still there every time I turn the ignition key on). All the electronics associated with the screen still work (radio, CD player, etc), just no good display.

I've checked the M5 Nav threads and tried a quick fix (let the light go out, disconnect the battery, wait 15 min, reconnect the battery) to no avail. I went to a recommended website for a software fix, but the website no longer exists (at least that is what my browser told me).

So I'm to the point of changing out the Nav CD player/computer/software. I have a Mark II and am thinking I should go ahead and upgrade to a Mark IV (anybody got one they'd like to sell?). As I understand it, it is a simple plug and play.

Before I drop a hundred or so $$$ on a used one, has anyone had any issues with this upgrade?

Many thanks in advance

Mojo

·
Registered
222 Posts
It is a simple plug and play. I am selling my MKIV Unit with 2014 disk if you want. PM me for details

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good luck with your search.
An upgrade from a MKII to MK IV isn't cheap.
Recently I purchased a compete MK IV kit from bimmernav including head unit, bluetooth & sirius modules and AUX input, which is big money. But with that I get everything and the latest versions of the hardware.
They have some good DIY videos too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is the headunit/screen plug and play also?

Sorry for the easy question, just starting my research now on stuff. I have a 2000 and wanna upgrade to the wide screen. Also mkiv is that still out of an e39?

Edit: found some good sources and got my answers!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Is the headunit/screen plug and play also?

Sorry for the easy question, just starting my research now on stuff. I have a 2000 and wanna upgrade to the wide screen. Also mkiv is that still out of an e39?
The screen is plug and play, but to go from a Mk II to a MK IV computer you need an adapter cable that Bimmernav.com sells.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
To all, many thanks for passing the wisdom of experience on to the rest of the M5 owners' world, I greatly appreciate it!

My nav screen on my 2000 e39 M5 recently froze then, after a minute or so, went blank, although with thin lines left dancing horizontally at the bottom of the screen (which are still there every time I turn the ignition key on). All the electronics associated with the screen still work (radio, CD player, etc), just no good display.

I've checked the M5 Nav threads and tried a quick fix (let the light go out, disconnect the battery, wait 15 min, reconnect the battery) to no avail. I went to a recommended website for a software fix, but the website no longer exists (at least that is what my browser told me).

So I'm to the point of changing out the Nav CD player/computer/software. I have a Mark II and am thinking I should go ahead and upgrade to a Mark IV (anybody got one they'd like to sell?). As I understand it, it is a simple plug and play.

Before I drop a hundred or so $$$ on a used one, has anyone had any issues with this upgrade?

Many thanks in advance

Mojo
The screen is plug and play, but to go from a Mk II to a MK IV computer you need an adapter cable that Bimmernav.com sells.
I was unaware of the requirement of an adapter cable. Do you have a part number or link to the cable that bimmernav is selling?

You do need to disconnect the GPS antenna from the Trimble Unit, which is integral to the MK-III and Mk-IV navigation computers, and connect the antenna to the new computer.

The 4.3 display will work with the Mk-III and Mk-IV computers, but the split screen function will be somewhat useless, if it functions at all.

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
That adapter is for the Old Generation to New Generation radios. It is not required for the navigation computer.
Right. I have a case of the dumbs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a MKIV unit and wide scree with Diny Knobs for sale. Comes with 2014 disk too.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Who fixes the MK 4 nav computers? i have a new ribon cable and a new laser head but i am not sure that is the problem.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Who fixes the MK 4 nav computers? i have a new ribon cable and a new laser head but i am not sure that is the problem.
I have repaired several for many board members (e.g. Clemster, TwiggyM5, GBPackersfan68, NathanM5, and others).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts