BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am very excited on being a new member and 2000 m5 owner. Just got her 1 week ago! Prefacelift and all stock. I would like any input as to what are the most common and effective mods being done to these cars. Any suggestions on mechanical , exhaust, suspension and interior changes would be appreciated. Thanks again, Enrico

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am a relatively new owner myself, but from what I have gathered so far, muffler delete (keep the stock resonator, no increase in power really, just noise), X5 thrust arm bushings in the front are a decent upgrade at a reasonable cost, square wheel set up (275's all around, I can vouch for this being a nice upgrade), an e60 545i shifter is a nice cheap upgrade to the stock shifter (unless you want to spend big bucks for a rogue or UUC set up), also seems like the Bilstein PSS suspension kits are a nice upgrade in the suspension department. I am sure other more experienced people can chime in here as well.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info ! I am mechanically inclined but mostly to classic cars . The M5 is new to me so learning the cars 's particularities is a big help. I am hoping to learn , experiment and eventually offer my own opinions to others as well.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Since you have a preLCI get new headlights and tails. Upgrade steering wheel and navi screen if you want to spend that much. Also an exhaust or a muffler delete to get rid of the "mouse fart" (not my words) stock exhaust sound. Last but not least, lower it!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Come on guys , give a bit more input please! This forum has a vast knowledge base ! Correct me if I'm wrong but the addition of headers on these cars will make the largest difference in the exhaust department. Also what about ecu tunes (remapping the engine software) to go along with the headers. And then there is the CAI. Does anyone have any other suggestions in the power dept?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
This is a fairly huge pit into which to through a lot of your gold.
Where or what are you looking to modify?
What are your expectations?

If you want...
Power - RK Stage 2, ESS, Vortech, or other SuperCharger plus a tune.
Handling - KW or Bilstien coilovers.
Brakeing - Brembo BBK.
Cosmetic - LCI Tails and Headlights
Info-tainment - 16:9 Head Unit, Mk-IV Navigation Computer, BM53 Radio (w/ Aux & Sirius support), Intravee II, Ipod, HD Radio, Bluetooth (OE ULF)
This lot will set you back nearly $20K, but you'll have over 550 WHP, and the brakes and suspension to back it up, and all the mod-cons too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks AGM5, don't think I will ever supercharge, but that is a comprehensive list that I can research. Budget wise probably $7k. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
663 Posts
7K?

Bilstein PSS9, Evolve Headers and Tune, Muffler Delete, and any other cosmetic changes you want to chase. When you have to do your brakes go with uprated pads, rotors, lines, to improve braking feel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I suppose it all depends on what the effect you are looking for is and how much work you want to do. Personally, I'd probably attack the lights first since it won't be too pricey and will make a good noticeable difference. $7k is a decent budget but of course costs can add up quickly with the beast. Would you rather put it into a couple big modifications or several smaller ones?

·
Registered
43 Posts
First step: make sure all of the bushings, the shocks and the cooling system are up to snuff.

Beyond that, in the first two weeks of ownership I added:
New tires, Bridgestone RE-11a. Nice balance of grip, quiet, three-season performance
Dinan exhaust (go muffler delete if you want more sound)
Suede sport steering wheel (refinished by Coby wheel)
New floormats
ZHP shift knob (a bit shorter, weighted, goes in every BMW I buy)

The M5 is such a great package stock that I'd be hesitant to go too far too quickly with modifications. Drive it for awhile and fix the little things that bug you. My next task is to find a way to stream audio from my phone and refinishing the wheels. Then it's a bunch of little/fun projects like replacing the windshield moulding and fixing the leaking rearview mirror.

A $20k mod list means you started with the wrong car. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all. I am very excited on being a new member and 2000 m5 owner. Just got her 1 week ago! Prefacelift and all stock. I would like any input as to what are the most common and effective mods being done to these cars. Any suggestions on mechanical , exhaust, suspension and interior changes would be appreciated. Thanks again, Enrico
If you have an iPhone or iPod, I would install an INTRAVEE. I use it everyday and is by far the best thing I've installed to bring this up to date with the newer cars (pandora, spotify, etc.)

http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/intravee.html

Ryan

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
any thoughts on strut bars? are they really needed or just cool car bling?
E39 chasis is pretty stiff, so I don't know how much of a difference strut bars make. Maybe others can give their opinion. But Dinan seem to think they help.
Only PIA I can think of is those of us who have fold down rear seats . Do the rear bars get in the way?
They look f...ing cool though ! :cool:

·
Registered
182 Posts
What are your plans for the car OP? I just got my 2002 myself and I'm just in love with how the car drives as it is. The first thing I'm going to do is get some good tires, probably some Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

I'm going to spend the first few weeks figuring out all of the nuisances before dropping money on any mods myself. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
164 Posts
only 5k for a supercharger! if i had 7 to drop right now id get that and facelift headlights in your case or new michelin's

1 - 20 of 26 Posts