BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone on herefitted the m6 alloys to a e39 m5 ?
i bought a set and was told they would go straight on.

WRONG!

spigot size is bigger on the m5 and wont fit the m6 wheels on !

however they are so close , i found that by winding the bolts in slightly , one at a time you can get it to pull them on all the way but its very hard !
once they went on all the way i spun the wheels to make sure they ran true and straight, then removed them and filed the new cut hole smooth,
was a nightmare to get the wheels off once they had been pulled on so tight buyt with a block of wood and a heavy malet they come off ok, then refitted with 5mm spacers on the rear and 3mm spaces on the front ive now got them on with longer bolts !
all that work and i now find the fronts rub a bit on the inner plastic arch liner when on lock, so looks like will need to fit lower profiled tyres for clearance !
i was told someone saw another car with the same conversion and wondered howmany others have done it and how they got round it ?
justin

·
Registered
620 Posts
I went with replicas... I think there's one person here with a custom pained yellow M5 that went with OEM M6 wheels but he had the hub bored out.... He should chime in soon enough.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It's SirRichi. He had a detailed description how he did it. Including installing brakes from the new series. Hopefully he will chime in soon.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks nice, ive just test driven mine and the tyres rub !
i expect lowprofiles are required but would love to know what ones to go with !
how do i upload pics ?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Can't help myself....off-topic, and I've said it before, but I have to say it again.

That Yellow (forgot official color name) is Effing ridiculous! I love it, and I usually can't stand yellow (some E36 M3 Dakars if done right).....

:drool:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

WRONG!

however they are so close , i found that by winding the bolts in slightly , one at a time you can get it to pull them on all the way but its very hard !
once they went on all the way i spun the wheels to make sure they ran true and straight, then removed them and filed the new cut hole smooth,
was a nightmare to get the wheels off once they had been pulled on so tight buyt with a block of wood and a heavy malet they come off ok, then refitted with 5mm spacers on the rear and 3mm spaces on the front ive now got them on with longer bolts !
all that work and i now find the fronts rub a bit on the inner plastic arch liner when on lock, so looks like will need to fit lower profiled tyres for clearance !
i was told someone saw another car with the same conversion and wondered howmany others have done it and how they got round it ?
justin

Could you post the Offset of the M6 OEM wheels..

I think the offset might be already low enough, and since you adding 5mm and 3mm spacer respectively it even lowered the offset.

Lower offset will move the wheel outward (from the center of the car) thus increased vehicle track width. When this happened, it increase the possiblity of rubbing when doing full lock turn.

I've read from some other post that couple people running LM 19x8.5 ET17 and 19x10 ET25 running some 255/35/19 and 285/30/19 with no rubbing, althought it seems that wheel/tires clearance already at the limit.

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
okay so I took some liberty and look up the OEM (E63) M6 wheels
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EH93&mospid=49343&btnr=36_0882&hg=36&fg=15

The specs are as follow:
19x8.5 ET 12
19x9.5 ET 17

I think the offset is too aggressive for E39 chassis, considering the rim width.

Now with the spacer of 3mm (front) and 5mm (rear),
your final offsets are as follow:

19x8.5 ET 9
19x9.5 ET 12

So no wonder if the tires are rubbing. I would think even the rear will rub on the fender lip as well when the suspension is compressed (with passenger on the rears or luggages in the trunk).

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
If I were you I'd have someone check out a) the center of your rims and b) the holes for your lug bolts.

You just used bolts to put a 72.5mm hole onto a 74mm post. 1.5mm is not small and it is highly unlikely that your "new hole" is completely centered and true on all 4 wheels. Further, you have put an enormous amount of stress on the threads of the lug bolt holes.

Perhaps it did no damage and everything is fine, but where it relates to wheels I'd rather be safe than sorry...

d-

·
Registered
353 Posts

WRONG!

justin
Just personal preferance, but IMHO, I would go with these:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Miro makes M6 replicas that look really nice, and they come in 19 and 20". I'd love to be able to afford the 20" M6 replicas.

·
Registered
784 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i got sick of the look and vibrations so ive taken them back off,
im putting the original m5 alloys back on with 5 mm spacer at rear and 3mm spacer up front !
i still need another front if anyone can help ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
okay so I took some liberty and look up the OEM (E63) M6 wheels
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EH93&mospid=49343&btnr=36_0882&hg=36&fg=15

The specs are as follow:
19x8.5 ET 12
19x9.5 ET 17

I think the offset is too aggressive for E39 chassis, considering the rim width.

Now with the spacer of 3mm (front) and 5mm (rear),
your final offsets are as follow:

19x8.5 ET 9
19x9.5 ET 12

So no wonder if the tires are rubbing. I would think even the rear will rub on the fender lip as well when the suspension is compressed (with passenger on the rears or luggages in the trunk).

Regardz,

J Irwan
I think 19x9.5 with a 15mm offset works fine in the front and the rear. So the rear at least should be no problem. Someone else is running Beyern's with this offset for both front and rear with no rubbing issues whatsover.

Those OEM M6 wheels need to be bored out by a good wheel shop. I am shocked at the method the OP used to get them on...:eek:oohhh: Good move on his part to take 'em off.

Brent

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Just personal preferance, but IMHO, I would go with these:
they call SSR's - Super Soft Rim for a reason

i would stay away from those unless you are not afraid of potholes and bending rims

i know the SSR comp's seem to hold up nicely for track use, but they too bend

·
Registered
353 Posts
they call SSR's - Super Soft Rim for a reason

i would stay away from those unless you are not afraid of potholes and bending rims

i know the SSR comp's seem to hold up nicely for track use, but they too bend
I hear u! I like them too but since they are anodized for lip finish, its a matter of time before that beautiful 'shiny' finish goes to hell and who wants that! I think I will stick to my oem's!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts