BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I haven’t posted on here for some time... still have my M5, 7 or 8 years now!

Anyway I have a miltek cat back fitted that I bought new maybe 4-5 years ago. It sounds nice enough and makes a good sound from outside, there’s a little drone in 6th at lower speeds already and I don’t want to make it less usable for long road trips - I only use the car for special occasions... but I’d like it to be a lot louder at full throttle and higher revs and not too much drone at low revs and throttle.

I’m not bothered about how loud it is on startup or anything like that, literally just want more of the V8 sound most of the time!

Only options I can see are:
Decat - this will definitely make it much louder but will it make it resonate more?

Mid box delete - will this make any difference at all? Probably not worth it.

Change the whole system - maybe fit a Hayward and Scott?

I had a super sprint full race on my M3 and it was great for track days but tiresome driving across the continent so I’ve kind of ruled out the super sprint and eisenmann race and no point changing to their sport versions as they’ll be similar to mine at great cost.

Any advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I did muffler delete on OEM exhaust and there is no performance change, save for much better sound at WOT. No drone either. I have the rear mufflers available if you wanted to quiet down your current system...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Muffler delete is easy and sounds GREAT but not neighborhood friendly... ask how I know... lol.

So went to a set no longer made I got from a guy with a new (to him) M5 that was going muffler delete. Nice in between sound.

Then a friend installed late model Camero Z28 dual mode exhaust(from axle back) in his M5. Has a switch in/on the console, flick it and opens the butterfly and effectively, muffler delete. Flip it back, closes it up, nice and quite. The mufflers fit in M5 stock location like they were made for it.

So there is that....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts