BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an amazing day doing Hooked on Driving at Thunderhill Raceway. First time out on the track with the beast and boy was it a blast. :noSMG: Unfortunately my tires were very low on tread, so grip wasn't optimal, but hey some Michelin Super Sports and MAYBE a StopTech BBK are on the way.

Anyways, I had a chance to ride in a ZR1 with a professional driver. I filmed both his run, and mine, and set them side by side. He runs about 8 seconds faster than me, but hey I was only 0.5 seconds slower than an F355 with a pro driver. By NO means do I consider myself above average as a driver, so if you want to roast my poor lines on the track, feel free hiha. I was utterly impressed with the car.

Here is the video:

Corvette ZR1 vs BMW M5 - YouTube

Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Great Video !

·
Registered
317 Posts
Cool vid :), thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Power actually didn't seem to be the issue for me as a novice driver. Traction however was a big issue. Bald Dunlop 275's can't compete with 335mm Michelin PS2's. I'm going to get a fresh set of tires and head back June 9th/10th and see if I can shave a few seconds. Also brake fade was certainly an issue. Maybe I should get some EBC Yellowstuff to replace my stock pads? mmmmmm

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Looks fun!:grinyes:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great videos. Tires and brakes make a huge difference. I think you will be surprised what good rubber and brakes will do. I have run Mosport with a ZR1 on the track and he is very surprised to see the M5 staying with him through the corners. I must admit I am working way harder than him and on the straights he leaves me for dead. :eek:h:

ST 40s are a must if you are going to keep working that track for long. I tried the stock setup with upgraded pads and cooling ducts, but with good tires it just does not take the heat lap after lap. Brake cooling ducts are a must!

And then you will want a square setup, coilovers...

ask me how I know.

Regards and have fun.

Doug

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ST Brakes

Yah that ZR1 pulls like a train on the straights. Do you have 4 ST-40's or just some on the fronts? Drilled or slotted? I unfortunately dislike the look of the m5 brake ducts (makes me want to eliminate the fogs and run a sort of E92 M3 setup). Those bastards got me hooked on driving alright. I'll be back many more times, and next time with some helpful upgrades!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yes, there's no replacement for displacement. How big is that ZR1 engine, 7 liters?

Yah that ZR1 pulls like a train on the straights. Do you have 4 ST-40's or just some on the fronts? Drilled or slotted? I unfortunately dislike the look of the m5 brake ducts (makes me want to eliminate the fogs and run a sort of E92 M3 setup). Those bastards got me hooked on driving alright. I'll be back many more times, and next time with some helpful upgrades!

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
I unfortunately dislike the look of the m5 brake ducts (makes me want to eliminate the fogs and run a sort of E92 M3 setup).
Don't install sink drains. Drill out holes in the outer part of the grill -- works perfectly, mates up with the brake duct extensions (which you have to buy along with either cutting holes in the fender liner or buying the 540 liners). It's very discrete, looks totally factory and works great.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I agree. That's exactly what I did.

Don't install sink drains. Drill out holes in the outer part of the grill -- works perfectly, mates up with the brake duct extensions (which you have to buy along with either cutting holes in the fender liner or buying the 540 liners). It's very discrete, looks totally factory and works great.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Yes, there's no replacement for displacement. How big is that ZR1 engine, 7 liters?
Supercharged 6.2L 638hp and 604 torque..
Its a lot faster than our cars..

Great driving though man..
Racing is addicting..
Be prepared for lots of tires and brakes!

·
Registered
97 Posts
ST 40 Brakes

I run the ST40 slotted front only. The rears are hot but seem to take the abuse so far with matching ST pads.

I ran a 540i grill last year but could not stand the look. So this winter I drilled out the M5 grill. Did not like the airflow tests so I got the dremel out and cleaned out the holes so it matched the center section. I left the permiter section with a single hole for additional strength. It flowed about twice the air doing the extra work but it was tedious.

This summer I will test Matt Martins new thrust arm setup. Can't wait for them to arrive in late June and will certainly post a comprehensive review.

Doug

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
Personally I like Frozen Rotors, Porterfield R4-S and (most importantly) ATE DOT 5 or Super Blue.
Get the Motul 600 brake fluid. With that, better pads and good air to the brakes, you will be surprised how well the stock brakes work. The big advantage of the BBK is it will prevent fade from repeated heavy use on the track.

Also, make sure new tires have a few hundred miles on them to cure them before taking them to the track.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Get the Motul 600 brake fluid. With that, better pads and good air to the brakes, you will be surprised how well the stock brakes work. The big advantage of the BBK is it will prevent fade from repeated heavy use on the track.

Also, make sure new tires have a few hundred miles on them to cure them before taking them to the track.

Regards,
Jerry
Also as you gain experience and especially if at that point move to R-comps, get the Ti shims to use between the piston and pad backing plate.

OT, but Jerry, what ramp angles do you have on the differential you had built? Do you know what the ramp angles are on the standard LSD in the M5? What did you notice about closed throttle behavior on corner entry with the ramp angle you chose? Should we start a new thread on this topic (I don't recall seeing one on the board)?

Chuck

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
All upgrade advice aside; great video, looks like much fun and a good track. Good luck with your next sortie. :M5rev:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts