BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have anyone ever tested their e39 M5 against a post facelift (>2004)Jaguar S Type R?:M5rev:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
What was the outcome?<o:p></o:p>
I know that this is probably the wrong place to askouich, but is it advisable to buy one of these Jags? I really like them. Are they problematic/expensive? How would the maintenance/cost/headaches compare to the e39 M5?<o:p></o:p>
I had a e39 M5 and at the time test drove a STR Jag last year and the performance felt very similar.<o:p></o:p>
Reason for selling the e39 – I preferred my e34 M5 and the e39 that I had was actually a dog or Monday car, whichever you prefer.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>I would really appreciate an un-bias opinion.</o:p>

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
If you preferred the E34 M5 to your E39, then I suspect you will hate the STR, subject of course to how much of a DOG your E39 was.

STR is quite a nice package, but I think it works better for the older driver, in my humble opinion !

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there something specific that makes you say that it would be less likeable (for me) than the e39? Electronic wizzardry? Distant driving "feel"?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Is there something specific that makes you say that it would be less likeable (for me) than the e39? Electronic wizzardry? Distant driving "feel"?
Yes pretty much about the driver tactility.

We know the E34 M5 is splendid (possibly a bit low on power these days though)

We know the E39 M5, although slightly less tactile, is a very good package and the extra power goes quite a way towards bridging any tactility disparity.

We know the STR is not a driver's car.

We know the STR is no where near as good an overall driver's car/package to the E39 M5.

But we do know it is as quick as an E39 M5 in a straight line and probably a little more comfortable (marginal)

What is wrong with your E39 M5 by the way ?

Good Luck

Reactions: Fordkoppie

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As i said, i dont have it anymore.
It was actually unfair to say my e39 was a monday car, since it was actually wear n tear. I simply said that to avoid long explanations.
It needed Vanos replacement, Front suspension overhaul, Duel mass flywheel + clutch, Brake rotors, Engine mountings, Diff bearings and exhaust. It was just not financially feasible to replace all of these on a 2000 model with 211 000Km on the clock. As you stated, it did make up for tactility with power, and i still love them (If they are how they were when they were new). Just thought i would try something from the other stall. As you can see from my usename and the "Garage" in the profile, i am not really demonstrative to BMW only.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
As i said, i dont have it anymore.
It was actually unfair to say my e39 was a monday car, since it was actually wear n tear. I simply said that to avoid long explanations.
It needed Vanos replacement, Front suspension overhaul, Duel mass flywheel + clutch, Brake rotors, Engine mountings, Diff bearings and exhaust. It was just not financially feasible to replace all of these on a 2000 model with 211 000Km on the clock. As you stated, it did make up for tactility with power, and i still love them (If they are how they were when they were new). Just thought i would try something from the other stall. As you can see from my usename and the "Garage" in the profile, i am not really demonstrative to BMW only.
Gotcha.

I have several cars too.

But no saloon car comes close to an M5. Again in my opinion.

Cheers

Reactions: josiahg52

·
1,939 Posts
I'd say "Yes" to both of those.

However, if you were to look at an XFR instead then you'd be in a different ballpark, and I'd say it would run the M5 very close in every way. Except possibly build quality - they're too new to be sure yet.

There's also, of course, the fact that everyone will look at you in an S Type and assume you've borrowed your Dad's car...

Cheers, YG

·
Registered
304 Posts
The UK road tests of 2002 confirmed the M5 was faster and handled better but the overall package of the Jag could run the E39 quite close.Both cars were always rated higher than the RS6 though.

I have worked and driven on a few Jags of that age and the ammount of chassis rust they can have is quite shocking,so I hope you are good at welding or rebuilding the engine if the timing chain fails!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I was one time considering the s type r as well...
I used to own an x-type that was loaded with everything they had to offer..
I hated that damn thing..

The s type is going to be one headache after another..
They need excessive maintenance and WILL break down on you..
Just last week I smiled as I was driving in my m5 next to an s type r on a tow truck..
It does have monster brakes though..

Check some jaguar forums and there will be many opinions that an help you out..
I can recall Jeremy clarkson saying the s type was the worst jag they've ever made and he LOVES jaguars..

Automatic transmission with a crappy j gate shifter is the only transmission they have available.. And I believe those also often had problems..
I prefer the m5 10000 times over the s type r..
Just my .02 cents!
M5 FTW!!!

But check out the jaguar forums and see what u can learn..
it's all about preference my man..

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The UK road tests of 2002 confirmed the M5 was faster and handled better but the overall package of the Jag could run the E39 quite close.Both cars were always rated higher than the RS6 though.

I have worked and driven on a few Jags of that age and the ammount of chassis rust they can have is quite shocking,so I hope you are good at welding or rebuilding the engine if the timing chain fails!
And about the rust issue... Even in California away from the salty ocean you will get rust..
It is very surprising indeed how the rust is accumulated on these cars over the years..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Only Jags saloon is XJ especialy XJR other are just not Jags. X-type is Mondeo, S type is a Lincoln and they both are UGLY. IMHO.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just, um wow. The S-Type R is a very competent car and by far CHEAPER to own than our beasts. The consumables are cheaper and last longer, that "crappy J gate" tranny is a ZF unit which is absolutely bullet proof for the most part. As far as excessive maintenance it is just about as problematic as our cars are.

It is a very different car than ours but by no means is it a "bad" car, it is designed for a different demographic which is more concerned with luxurious feel and a soft but sporting ride.

I was one time considering the s type r as well...
I used to own an x-type that was loaded with everything they had to offer..
I hated that damn thing..

The s type is going to be one headache after another..
They need excessive maintenance and WILL break down on you..
Just last week I smiled as I was driving in my m5 next to an s type r on a tow truck..
It does have monster brakes though..

Check some jaguar forums and there will be many opinions that an help you out..
I can recall Jeremy clarkson saying the s type was the worst jag they've ever made and he LOVES jaguars..

Automatic transmission with a crappy j gate shifter is the only transmission they have available.. And I believe those also often had problems..
I prefer the m5 10000 times over the s type r..
Just my .02 cents!
M5 FTW!!!

But check out the jaguar forums and see what u can learn..
it's all about preference my man..

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I've always liked the S-typeR...hard to say anything bad about 'em IMO. I toyed with the idea of buying one before the M5 but couldn't justify leavin the BMW community (comming from two prior M3's). That said, I still think the best of the lot is the '04+ XJR or XJ SuperV8 (long wheelbase XJR)...now those can do pulls an M5 can (or better) and do it in FAR more comfort than even a 7er. I've never driven a more comforable car than the facelift XJ.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My friend owned both at the same time. He still has the Jag. He still says the M5 was the best car to drive he's owned. Luckily his wife doesn't like a manual transmission so he sold the M to me!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input to everyone.
These Jags are worth more or less the same as an e39 M5 over here. It is just impossible to get a good M5 for book value. The good ones changes ownership for 2x the trade value, which is just silly and way overpriced. And then comes the day when you itch for something else, and you can only get half your money back. I hate dealers.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So i finally had a chance to use an STR like a hooligan through the twisties.
All i can report is that it was horrible. Very fast, but boat like!!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Bit off topic Fordkoppie, but in your 'Garage', I see you've listed an RS5000 Ford Sapphire? Got to wonder, RS5000? Assuming you maybe mean the RS500, but that was the original hatch and not the saloon, just wondering...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope. They were south african built only since we never got the Cosworth.
It is a 5.0L V8 Sapphire saloon with all the Cosworth visual goodies whereas the RS500 was the Cosworth whail tail wonder.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Thought that might be the case, you guys got the Sierra XR8 too, I think, something we also never saw, different cars for different markets.

In the same vein as a thread a week or so ago, I wonder whether any of the original RS500's will ever turn a wheel in anger again. :(

Apologies, I digress.

I've always considered Jags to be a bit more boat-like than other Euro equivalents, but that's not from experience, just the image I have of them. Considered one of the 4.0 S/C XJRs a while back, but as above, it would look like my Dad's car....

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes the RS sapphire has the exact same running gear as the XR8, but information on them are next to none.
I am not saying they should track all these legends such as the RS500, 190e EvoII or even the 2.5 sport M3 , but i personally hate garage queens.
Would you mind posting a link to that discussion?

I am so glad i didnt buy that Jag. The fun of the power would have worn off quickly and the remainder is just boring.

BTW - i sold my black e34 M5 last week, so i am looking for a concours e34 M5 or e39 (if i can get an e39 to suit my budget)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts