BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these are two different animals, but the performance metrics seem to be very close on paper? Has any one had first hand experience comparing the two cars in terms of acceleration and handling?

I also have seen a a pretty big range for the 0-62 number of the E39 anywwhere from 4.7 to 5.3 not sure which one is supposed to be more accurate.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Rob

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I'm under the impression that a stock 335i can't hold a candle to the M5 unless it's "chipped." Then, it would keep pace until getting to about 80mph, then the M5 would start to walk.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm under the impression that a stock 335i can't hold a candle to the M5 unless it's "chipped." Then, it would keep pace until getting to about 80mph, then the M5 would start to walk.
The stock 335i apparently outperforms, or performs very closely to the audi s4 and the current e46 m3 and has more torque than the new E90 M3. Car and driver clocked 0-60 at 4.7.

So I am not that sure about it not holding the candle to an E39 M5.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I can see that being the case. There have been a few threads about this (with video, too) and that's what I had gathered based on the comments that I could very well have misinterpreted ouich

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Apart from straight line performance, The 335i still isn't an M. The M5 will still outhandle it! Put them on a road coarse and I'm willing to bet the M5 will definitely walk on it there.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I recently sold my 07 335i 6MT and it was a very quick little car.
It had the Supersprint Turbo Tuner modification done.
As expected, the M5 has lots more low end torque.
Times on paper show the two cars being very close, but to my seat of the pants analysis, the M5 felt faster.
Again, the torque talks loud.
The biggest drawback to the 335i is with no limited slip rear end, it does not hook up very well.
It is indeed a very easy car to throw around in the curves, but I didn't find it as inspiring as the M5
As to which car is better, I obviously voted to switch to an M5.

Al. Wise

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apart from straight line performance, The 335i still isn't an M. The M5 will still outhandle it! Put them on a road coarse and I'm willing to bet the M5 will definitely walk on it there.
Well roadholding is mearured as 0.89g I beleive the E39 is 0.84? unless I am mistaken so I think it could be better if not the same.

Also the 335i though not being an M5 is offered with a sport suspension which makes it really tight.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I think this thread is shaping up to show how numbers can show one thing, but the feel that we get out of a car can render them meaningless (or at least take a big chunk out of the value given)

·
Registered
295 Posts
My 335i had the Sport Package and although it handled very tight, it felt rough compared to the M5. I believe the main contributor was the run flat Bridgestones.

Al. Wise

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that comparison.

As expected, the M5 has lots more low end torque.
Times on paper show the two cars being very close, but to my seat of the pants analysis, the M5 felt faster.
Again, the torque talks loud.
But the 335i has a flat torque curve and is a much lighter car as well, was it really that different?

It is indeed a very easy car to throw around in the curves, but I didn't find it as inspiring as the M5
As to which car is better, I obviously voted to switch to an M5.
Which car has more body roll? and did your's have the sport suspension and the 18 inch wheels?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Pure rumors, but there has been conjecture by the press that press release 335's and M3's have been slightly tuned, and aren't quite 100% what you'd buy off a dealer lot.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pure rumors, but there has been conjecture by the press that press release 335's and M3's have been slightly tuned, and aren't quite 100% what you'd buy off a dealer lot.
Not sure about that I did test drive the 335i yesterday and I tell you it felt fast, defitnely close to the e46 M3 and faster than the S4 which i test drove the previous day.

So much for feeling . :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Kinda funny, I drag raced one this past week at orlando speedworld. To my suprise there were 2 335's and on 330 there.

my 2002 E39 is completely stock. I ran without a fan that evening and weighed in at 3860 w/o me. Air temp was 54 degrees beautiful night.

------------>E39--------->335(?i)
rt---------->0.255------->0.307
60'--------->2.145------->2.194
330'-------->5.723------->5.853
1/8--------->8.585------->8.774
mph----------->86.00------->84.87
1000'------>11.032------>11.279
1/4-------->13.098------>13.407
mph---------->108.98------>106.35

It was a good run but I was still missed my 12 second run.
13.032 60' 2.109 107.81mph
13.057 60' 2.053 108.38mph

I will be back out wednesday, will see if he wants a rematch

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not Close

I drove my M5 to the Performance School in Greenville, where we got to drive the 335 and new M5. While the new M5 has gobs of power, in my opinion the E39 is a more complete, better looking car. I thought the new M5 was just too cold.

As for the 335, its a nice car, but not in the same league, in so many ways.

At the end of the weekend, I was VERY HAPPY to be driving home in the best car on the planet.

·
Registered
576 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uczC_Ql3I3E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqDYc1iBJMA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BrT9TyRozQ

i'm sure theres more, but we race all the time. there's prolly a lot more videos in the kill stories archive over at bimmerforums it was almost every week that we'd race.

Hope this helps you with a visual. I consider this 335 to be the best representative the 335's have, he's normally on the frontline of whatever new products come out and even gets custom stuff done if nothing is out yet.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Oh don't get me wrong, the 335i is darn quick. I'll have to go back and see if i can find the article, but it was mentioning that a 5.3 to 60 for the 335i is what was showing from cars off the lot, while some press release cars were running into the high 4's.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I drove my M5 to the Performance School in Greenville, where we got to drive the 335 and new M5. While the new M5 has gobs of power, in my opinion the E39 is a more complete, better looking car. I thought the new M5 was just too cold.

As for the 335, its a nice car, but not in the same league, in so many ways.

At the end of the weekend, I was VERY HAPPY to be driving home in the best car on the planet.
In what ways do you speak of regarding the E39 being in a different league? I sold my E60 M5 for a E90 335i, and no offense (flame suit on) I would prefer either of these to the E39.:2:

Also, to the poster who said the 335i would get walked on a road course I think you are mistaken. Here is a little cut and paste from the Lightning Lap article in Car and Driver.

"Between the two, you’d expect the 335i to be more supple over bumps, have vastly more interior room, and be as refined as a Lexus. But what floored us was that the 335i’s best lap (3:10.5) was 1.2 seconds quicker than the M coupe’s. (Also quicker than the RS4) It’s a case of neutral handling over outright speed. Whereas the M coupe had understeer at turn-in that switched to oversteer at the exit, the 335i was nearly perfectly balanced everywhere and made up most of its time in the region between the braking zone and turn apex. The 335i does everything remarkably well, which is why many of us at Car and Driver think it’s the best all-around car in the world"

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Well... after I totalled my M5 last month (not my fault - I swear!) and I had to decide what to replace it with, well... check out my sig.

There is nothing like the E39 M5 and there never will be. It's a great car. But the 335 has got 10 years of technology going for it, weighs less and will hopefully be less expensive to maintain and more reliable.

But it's also apples and oranges to a large extent. It's a five series "M" versus a 3 series "sport". The ///M5 has options and features (like the full leather) that is not available on the lowly 3'er.

I'll know more once I get the car and drive it for a while. I'll post again.

Michael

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well... after I totalled my M5 last month (not my fault - I swear!) and I had to decide what to replace it with, well... check out my sig.

There is nothing like the E39 M5 and there never will be. It's a great car. But the 335 has got 10 years of technology going for it, weighs less and will hopefully be less expensive to maintain and more reliable.

But it's also apples and oranges to a large extent. It's a five series "M" versus a 3 series "sport". The ///M5 has options and features (like the full leather) that is not available on the lowly 3'er.

I'll know more once I get the car and drive it for a while. I'll post again.

Michael
True an M is an M but we love about them is the performance and the options on it. Now let me tell you a fully loaded 335i comes with leather, sport supsension, navigation and every other luxury you could want. and now if it performs like an M , is it less worth because it misses the M badge?

I am not quite certain I am sold on the "M is just different" analogy , seems a bit circular to me.

Rob

·
10,459 Posts
i would think a 335 would handle much better than an e39 M5 just due to weight.
Ive never driven one, but have had basic spec e90 loaner cars, and they are very tossable, it's a fun chassis. Interior space is pretty close to the e39 too.

Simple software upgrades get near 400 hp, if i could get a 335 wagon, i'd be all over it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts