BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the pleasure of test driving a E46 M3 Dinan S3 (minuss intercooler or dinan brakes to be S3-R). I don't know was the car beat or just need a tune up but it didnt pull as hard as my E39 M5 through out the power band :confused:

Did anyone else feel the same way?

·
Registered
172 Posts
um didnt you guys see my vid??:dunno:
if not here is the link:
let me add that this is when my car was 100% stock.

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
I think those nasty chrome rims slowed him down big time :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I started to pull high 3rd to 4th gear.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
That video looked more like a stock vs. stock race than a stock vs. S/C'd S3-R race. If I dropped that kind of money on the Dinan kit and a stock M5 hung right with me, I'd ask for a refund. :eek7:

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
That video looked more like a stock vs. stock race than a stock vs. S/C's S3-R race. If I dropped that kind of money on the Dinan kit and a stock M5 hung right with me, I'd ask for a refund. :eek7:
+ 1 !

What a joke !

·
Registered
172 Posts
That video looked more like a stock vs. stock race than a stock vs. S/C'd S3-R race. If I dropped that kind of money on the Dinan kit and a stock M5 hung right with me, I'd ask for a refund. :eek7:
I think that's the whole point we are trying to get at. The dinan kits are wayyy over priced and are wayyy overrated for what they are. You would expect more from the kit but the numbers aren't doing it justice. I don't blame OP for feeling that the m3 felt sluggish and not as fast as our m5's.

Reactions: "S62"

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
I think that's the whole point we are trying to get at. The dinan kits are wayyy over priced and are wayyy overrated for what they are. You would expect more from the kit but the numbers aren't doing it justice. I don't blame OP for feeling that the m3 felt sluggish and not as fast as our m5's.
I'm not missing the point and am well aware of Dinan's pricing. The difference between my Beast when it was stock vs. ESS S/C'd is huge. The Dinan kit for the E39 makes even more power. I just can't fathom how Dinan miss the mark so badly on the E46.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts

The S3 kit on the M5 seems to deliver based off of the 1/4mi times I've seen. The M3 has always been a bastard child to dinan anyways...just look at the pathetic excuse for a muffler they have for it. 2 fake tips on the driver side and 2 functional ones on the passenger.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
The S3 kit on the M5 seems to deliver based off of the 1/4mi times I've seen. The M3 has always been a bastard child to dinan anyways...just look at the pathetic excuse for a muffler they have for it. 2 fake tips on the driver side and 2 functional ones on the passenger.
So what your saying Mike, is that instead of ignoring the E46 M3 owners, Dinan instead chose to take all of their money and punish them with anemic performance? :) Now I get it!

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Just like them selling "power" pullies to the E60 guys.
LOL....Yes, pulleys can be classified as "snake oil".

But all this just to stay "almost" even with a stock M5. That's comical!

-Vortech Gear-Driven Supercharger Compressor (5.5 psi boost)
-Large Air to Air Intercooler with High Flow Cast Aluminum Tanks
-Automatic Intercooler Auxilliary Fan
-CNC Aluminum and Steel Mounting Brackets
-High Flow Cold Air Intake
-High Capacity Fuel Pressure Regulator
-High Capacity Fuel Injectors
-Maintains Large Factory Intake Plenum and Trumpets
-Automatic Belt Tensioner
-High Capacity Aluminum Radiator (35% increase)
-High Capacity Oil Cooler (100% increase)
-Comprehensive Engine Management System Calibration

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
LOL....Yes, pulleys can be classified as "snake oil".

But all this just to stay "almost" even with a stock M5. That's comical!

-Vortech Gear-Driven Supercharger Compressor (5.5 psi boost)
-Large Air to Air Intercooler with High Flow Cast Aluminum Tanks
-Automatic Intercooler Auxilliary Fan
-CNC Aluminum and Steel Mounting Brackets
-High Flow Cold Air Intake
-High Capacity Fuel Pressure Regulator
-High Capacity Fuel Injectors
-Maintains Large Factory Intake Plenum and Trumpets
-Automatic Belt Tensioner
-High Capacity Aluminum Radiator (35% increase)
-High Capacity Oil Cooler (100% increase)
-Comprehensive Engine Management System Calibration
I dont think the video tells the entire story. Clearly the M5 driver is quite good (as evidenced in his gearchanges). The M3 driver seems to be a hamfist; spinning tires wildly and messing up shifts. Notice, he pulls away pretty bad on one of the higher speed pulls only to suddenly lose speed then start braking (my guess is missed shift or he lifted due to traffic). The second to last pull you can see he's just sitting there spinning his tires side by side with the M5.

Compared to the old Rotrex AA kits, or ESS ASA kits, the Dinan S/C kit for the M3 is a bit lacking. With a competent driver, the car should walk away from a stock M5 pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Watching the video shows that the M3 is (understandably) very peaky and looks like it's tough to keep on cam. Whether that's because he's spinning or the powerband is a lightswitch, I don't know. There are some clips where the M3 is clearly the faster car when it's hooked up and on the boost.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
oops double post.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts