BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Yea good luck finding one.. you're in the back of a very long line ;)

Other options are the Schmiedmann hood that Raikku has that is sweet! and possibly the Gradus Futura hood that is still in development.

Reactions: - maciek -

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Other options are the Schmiedmann hood that Raikku has that is sweet! and possibly the Gradus Futura hood that is still in development.

do you have any links or pictures or where I can see?buy the above mentioned hoods?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Reactions: - maciek -

·
Registered
3,337 Posts

Do I hear crickets? :rofl: I'm going Schmiedmann, if I can get over the golf ball that I have to swallow called "shipping". :crying:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I'll be going with a Scmiedmann hood eventually. Weave pattern isn't that important for me as I will paint it anyways. The fitment seems pretty good from photographs...definitely the best alternative to the out of production Vorsteiner hoods. Also the price is quite incredible, but if I recall shipping cost is more than the hood itself??

And I'm pretty sure the Gradus hood project has been scrapped....

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Don't think they're really my kind of thing, but I have some sort of alarm bells going off when you say painting it. I was on the verge of buying a GRP bonnet for my Coupe, a weight saving of plenty. A couple of owners said they were not as strong as the standard item, and at speed you could see it flex. This caused issues with paint, because it physically flexed, the paint would crack and it needed to be redone once every 12 months to keep it looking good.

Might this be an issue?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Have the Vorsteiner. Double sided CF. Have it painted. Before I had it painted it looked like an old tweed jacket in full sunshine (MO on unpainted CF Hoods). No issue whatsoever with flexing. Stronger and lighter than the original steel one.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have the Vorsteiner. Double sided CF. Have it painted. Before I had it painted it looked like an old tweed jacket in full sunshine (MO on unpainted CF Hoods). No issue whatsoever with flexing. Stronger and lighter than the original steel one.
do you want to sell it?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not so. Improvements being made.
So apparently there are a few in the wild (??)

I was going to pick up a beta version of his hood but was unable to follow through with the trip and the project!! FML

It's basically a Vorsteiner 2.0, I have some pics but I'm not sure if I can post them up - hopefully somebody else snagged this hood?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
So apparently there are a few in the wild (??)

I was going to pick up a beta version of his hood but was unable to follow through with the trip and the project!! FML

It's basically a Vorsteiner 2.0, I have some pics but I'm not sure if I can post them up - hopefully somebody else snagged this hood?
WHERE?!?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
68 Posts
WHERE?!?!?!?!?!
Well one of them would of been in my garage had I not been an idiot. I do know it was engineered a bit better than the Vorsteiner, we went over a lot of details about it. It's easy to say he has a very extensive background in the field that goes back quite a long way.

Edit: as for the hood I was going to receive, he had it waiting for me at a body shop in the SF Bay Area. Unfortunately for me I'm pretty sure somebody else got it by now.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Subscribed :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 128 Posts