BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
What happened to your S62? Or did you just fancy the S85? Cheers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That medusa mess of wiring would drive me nuts lol. Love the work man, looks awesome, keep it up

Sent from Uranus with Love.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sorry for the lack of updates so here's one now!

The car has now passed an MOT test and is road worthy.
Here is a finished shot of the engine bay

There's still lots to sort out and the engine is coming back out to the rod bearings shortly. I could of done these before but with so much else going on I didn't want to add in extra complications.

Here's a drive by video I'm pretty happy with how it sounds.

Next on the list is to redo the steering shaft as I added an extra UJ in initially to get connected up too the rack. This doesn't work and gives poor steering feel even with a support made. The plan now is to change the exit point on the bulkhead and get the column straight onto the rack instead of using an extra UJ. I have managed to change the column setup with the engine still in the car to test but it now needs tidying up and remaking the seal to the bulkhead with the plastic bearing in.

·
Registered
931 Posts
This is so freaking epic my brain hurts!
Kudos to you!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Sorry for the lack of updates so here's one now!

The car has now passed an MOT test and is road worthy.
Here is a finished shot of the engine bay
View attachment 938994
There's still lots to sort out and the engine is coming back out to the rod bearings shortly. I could of done these before but with so much else going on I didn't want to add in extra complications.

Here's a drive by video I'm pretty happy with how it sounds.

Next on the list is to redo the steering shaft as I added an extra UJ in initially to get connected up too the rack. This doesn't work and gives poor steering feel even with a support made. The plan now is to change the exit point on the bulkhead and get the column straight onto the rack instead of using an extra UJ. I have managed to change the column setup with the engine still in the car to test but it now needs tidying up and remaking the seal to the bulkhead with the plastic bearing in.
THIS IS JUST EPIC. I am in awe of your mechanical prowess. What a beautiful beast.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Very tidy engine bay. Congratulations on your progress on what must be a very challenging project!
Thanks very much! It's not fully finished yet just in the initial testing phase, it has been very challenging at times mostly on the electronics side of things but this was to be expected.

What a cool project! Love the sound of the S85. Impressive fabrication and skill with the wiring, ect...
Thanks very much!

Thats sick! Must be a blast hammering past someone in that with the s85
It felt great on the first drive, I've not driven it that much because of not doing the rod bearings as of yet.

The engine looks like it was always there from the factory! Great work!!
Thank you!
This is so freaking epic my brain hurts!
Kudos to you!
Cheers!
THIS IS JUST EPIC. I am in awe of your mechanical prowess. What a beautiful beast.
Thank you! I'm really happy with the overall finish

Truly inspiring of what is possible
Thank you!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Awesome!

Any chance you were able to using a R&P steering rack because of the S85 being clearanced for it? That would be almost as much of an upgrade as the engine, imo!
As I've converted to E60 front suspension I've brought over the steering rack also. It has an m6 anti roll bar which is 28mm I believe don't hold me to that though.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts