BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have a few questions about the e39 m5. I just got this car two months ago. Car has 108K miles on it and it is Jan 2000 build.

1. Spark Plugs: I just did spark plug change last night, car runs so much crisper now. So this is already done. I got NGK OEM recommeded.
  2. Oil Change: I am sticking with castrol 10w60 for now. I am going to do that today.
  3. Air filters: I was thinking about stopping by autozone and picking up fram or STP brand. Will it be OK for this car?
  4. MAF Cleaning: I have spray call MAF cleaner but on the forum people have used CRC cleaner etc. What's best for this car?
  5. Transmission oil change: I have royal purple synchromax, i can't figure out how i am going to level the car properly. I have ramps that i use but car will not be balanced. Has anyone ever done this with just ramps or do i need to left up back of the car as well and bring the car up to it's normal balance before i open the drain?
Anything else that i need to check/change as normal maintenance of this car?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
417 Posts
1. Good
2. Good but if have any questions, you can read the 5000000 posts on oil.
3. Air filters are air filters. Many wi agree that a filter like K&N will possibly hurt your MAFs. I purchased AFE dry filters on Amazon due to higher flow and longer lasting.
4. I've used CRC MAF cleaner but if you have a different brand, I suspect the same outcome would occur.
5. I haven't done this before but I suspect keeping the car level is required. Looking into jack stands if you don't have some already. You'll need them eventually.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mann vs mahle

With my oil from ecs tuning i got Mann filter. I just watched a youtube video on the oil change and it uses mahle oil filter which seems very different as it has rubber/seal at the bottom of the filter as well? Any ideas why they are so different. Is it ok to use MANN oil filter. It is shown here

BMW E39 M5 S62 5.0L Search SiteSearch Mann Oil Filter - E39M5INKT - Oil Service Kit - ES#2576977

Sorry i am coming from honda world where we simply screw on the filter directly to the engine, hence so many questions. :)

thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about that filter. I think I've used that same kit from ECS in the past so you'll be good.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I would not put in Royal purple into transmission because It only lasted less than a year before my second gear became very very notchy. I would go with redline fluids.

Mahle or Mann filters are fine. They both are oe supplier for BMW.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The main reason for chaning the fluid was the fact that 2nd was notchy when car is cold. How is redline working out for you? Does it fix your 2nd gear shifts?

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
The main reason for chaning the fluid was the fact that 2nd was notchy when car is cold. How is redline working out for you? Does it fix your 2nd gear shifts?
Suggest MT90 transmission fluid. Try Amazon, they also sell a pump that I believe replaces the cap on the bottle.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the royal purple for now. I am going to try it as i already paid for it. If i have understood correctly, royal purple is thinner so it should help with cold. In couple of months i will definitely switch over to MTL90. I read alot of good things about it.

thank you all.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
while i am doing all this stuff. i read somewhere that it can be beneficial to clean up oil separators going into the intake manifold. Am i wrong to say that they are basically PCV valves sucking in air from the valve cover and feeding it back into the intake?

Is there a DIY anywhere for cleaning these out?

·
Registered
797 Posts
It all sounds good but I want to throw in a word of caution. Don't simply "lift" the back end, support it properly. I'm sure you know this but I want everyone to be safe out there. Borrow some stands if needed or make a set of full length ramps out of 2x12s.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, thank you.

Here is how i plan to do it, i saw a this on a youtube video.

1. park the car in balanced surface (garage floor)
2. Put the front of the car on ramps . I have metal ramps that i have built extensions myself so i can get the lowered car onto the ramps. This has worked for me for couple of years.
3. once front of the car is on the ramp, put the jack under the rear differential and slowly lift the car.
once car is in it's natural balance, i will put jack stands under the rear of the car and remove the jack.

This is assuming that that i am able to put a jack under the rear of the car while front is on ramps.

:)

Fun times.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yes, thank you.

Here is how i plan to do it, i saw a this on a youtube video.

1. park the car in balanced surface (garage floor)
2. Put the front of the car on ramps . I have metal ramps that i have built extensions myself so i can get the lowered car onto the ramps. This has worked for me for couple of years.
3. once front of the car is on the ramp, put the jack under the rear differential and slowly lift the car.
once car is in it's natural balance, i will put jack stands under the rear of the car and remove the jack.

This is assuming that that i am able to put a jack under the rear of the car while front is on ramps.

:)

Fun times.
I've lifted my car by the rear differential many times. Just make sure you don't jack by the finned part of the diff, as it is not made to support the stress you'll place on it. Just forward of the finned piece, you'll see flat section to lift from. If you need help with things, there's a rather large community in the DC area that can lend a hand. I have a laptop with DIS/INPA if you ever need to read codes, code new modules, etc...

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
I got the royal purple for now. I am going to try it as i already paid for it. If i have understood correctly, royal purple is thinner so it should help with cold. In couple of months i will definitely switch over to MTL90. I read alot of good things about it.

thank you all.
I believe it is either MTL or MT-90.

Here is a blurb for your consideration:

The MTL acts like a 70W at cold temps, and an 80W at operating temps, while the MT-90 is a thicker version of the MTL with a 75W at cold temps, and a 90W at operating temps. The MT-90 is a good street gear oil.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ReMi21,

Thank you. i will try to find this area and let you know if i have any questions.

ReMi21,FDigio,

I am in Bowie, MD. It's right near Laurel. I am thankfully code free for now, there was alot of drama when i bought the car as it was vanos/camshaft sensor issues. In the end it was just camshaft sensors doing all the bad things in my car. Clemster (dayton, MD) was able to change them out for me and since car has been running code free.

I would love to connect with you about my car. I got the car for 11K from annapolis 2 months ago, i knew it had issues and i am slowly sorting through them.

Where are you guys located? Do you guys have local meets/gatherings here? I would like to come and get your input on few of the things that i am working on.

Gsfent,

Thanks, yea, i read alot of good stuff on MTL. Too bad, i read the good stuff on royal purple but some people absolutely hate it. I wish i knew, hopefully next time i will try royal purple.

thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
Where are you guys located? Do you guys have local meets/gatherings here? I would like to come and get your input on few of the things that i am working.

I am in Odenton outside of Fort Meade. Most of the other E39 guys I see regularly are in Northern VA so it's a bit of a distance but not terrible at all since traffic is almost nonexistent that early on Sunday. There is a Cars & Coffee in Annapolis and Hunt Valley every week but have not gone to those yet. If you would like to get some input, we can try to set something up before the snow.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh GREAT. I am glad we are near by. Let's pass these holidays for now. I think car is running good enough. Hopefully after that we can meet either in maryland or northern VA coffee thing, :) whatever you guys call it. Do you guys have a place already picked out or do you pick a new place every sunday?

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's the same location every Sunday. You can find it on the firsts page of that thread I posted.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Enrico 2000,

Rubber hoses are fine, they are not soft at all so i am thinking it's ok for now.

FYI,

I did change the trans oil change with royal purple and it did not make any difference in the notchiness of the 2nd great. MTL90 NEXT.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts