BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody swapped their M5 for an RS6. I sold mine a couple of months ago and I am missing the fun a little with the replacement cruiser and fancy an RS6.

Would appreciate anybody's views on the move especially those who have driven both hard.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
shimmy said:
Has anybody swapped their M5 for an RS6. I sold mine a couple of months ago and I am missing the fun a little with the replacement cruiser and fancy an RS6.

Would appreciate anybody's views on the move especially those who have driven both hard.
FredCourtrot. I believe.

He went from the Dinan S2 that Beastpower now owns to a TT 996 X50, and now he has the RS6.

I like the AM DB9. :M5thumbs: I am suprised not to hear of any U.K. members with them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have both a M5 and a RS6- The RS6 is definitly quick but does not handle as crisply as the M5- there is a turbo lag but the power is definitly felt more than the M5. To get the RS6 to handle as well as the M5 you definitly want to sharpen up the suspension. The M5 has a little bit better fit and finish.
I use the RS6 in the winter and rain- the M5 in the good weather.
Hope this helps.
jh

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Now that is a nice collection. Some pictures :thumbsup:

jh_m5 said:
I have both a M5 and a RS6- The RS6 is definitly quick but does not handle as crisply as the M5- there is a turbo lag but the power is definitly felt more than the M5. To get the RS6 to handle as well as the M5 you definitly want to sharpen up the suspension. The M5 has a little bit better fit and finish.
I use the RS6 in the winter and rain- the M5 in the good weather.
Hope this helps.
jh

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
Would the RS6 be easier to modify?:M5rev:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
jimmyz2 said:
Would the RS6 be easier to modify?:M5rev:
A chip and an exhaust get you to 500hp very easily, and is also relatively cheap.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Would the RS6 be easier to modify?
Anytime you have a turbocharged or supercharged engine, it will be easier to modify. Upping the boost, adding new turbos, diverter valves, and exhaust systems all with have large affects on the performance. Not to mention, the M5 is a very hard and expensive car to modify, while keeping OEM reliability.

I'm not positive, but I beleive some RS6 owners were having transmission problems once they had chipped their cars. I know some companies have developed a transmission software, which I beleive has corrected the problem. The RS6, similar to the E55, is relatively easy, and inexpensive to modify.

Travis

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
To get the RS6 to handle as well as the M5 you definitly want to sharpen up the suspension.
So I've heard. With that being said, I've also heard the Quattro in combination with the trick DRC suspension does a good job keeping the car flat and quick. I haven't heard of any suspension that has hit the market for the RS6 to really make a significant improvement, and I'm pretty into the Audi scene. I beleive their is a Bilstien suspension that has just been released, but it scraps the majority of the suspension, affectively getting rid of the DRC.

Hotchkis is working on a rear swaybar for the RS6, that is being tested on a boardmembers car over at www.rs6.com. This is the first major step in suspension tuning for the RS6 that makes sense to me.

Travis

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
Yes.A simple google search brings up a host of Audi tuners and 505 hp seems somewhat straight forward.Living in America I have found torque to be alittle more advatageous than high rev. HP.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Further reasearch today revealed that there has been quite a bit of reliability problems with chipped RS6's. Enough to make me question the "worth it" factor.

Perhaps the 450hp and 415lbs torque is sufficient...

Travis

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about Abt Sportline and AMD(as examples).Since the RS6 comes already 450 ponies stock,I imagine 50 or so won't overtax the vehicle.Remember,Germans love to overbuild.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Audi in general has more quality problems than BMW. See the April issue of Automobile Magazine. The truth about german quality exposed - all the companies have slipped considerably, surpassed by the Japanese. There is still a perception of quality, but the data doesn't support it.

Fortunately for us, BMW is better than most. The most surprising is Mercedes - WAY down from where they were, well below BMW - and right around Volkswagen/Audi.

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
Well,in that case I quess the upcoming Nissan/Infinity Skyline is back on the list.:cheers:

B

·
0 Posts
jimmyz2 said:
Well,in that case I quess the upcoming Nissan/Infinity Skyline is back on the list.:cheers:
I am still waiting to get an R34 Skyline.

Cheers, Daniel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts