BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know whether the footpack bars for the E34 M5 roof rack fits onto the E39 M5? I suspect BMW will have changed it all so that you have to buy a new kit.

How much is the BMW roof system, Sterling please?

Pip

·
10,445 Posts
Pip said:
Does anyone know whether the footpack bars for the E34 M5 roof rack fits onto the E39 M5? I suspect BMW will have changed it all so that you have to buy a new kit.

How much is the BMW roof system, Sterling please?

Pip
Not aure about the e34, but the thule system that I have fits both the e46 and e39, and fits right into the factory locations. If you do a search, i've posted some pics of how it connects in the recent past.
Mike

·
Registered
958 Posts
I can't say much about the Thule racks, but I bought the BMW racks from eBay - they fit the 3 and 5 series cars, so you should be able to find someone selling some.

Anyway, they are great - perfect fit and only 4 screws to mount them. I pull them on and off the car at least twice a week. The mechanism is fine - the front fork lock is a little fiddly on getting the fork perfectly tight, but I do not think that is unique to BMW.

I am a road racer, so I have not tried this with mountain bikes or skis.

Good luck - if the Thule does not work, find the BMW - dealers should be able to quote you if you don't want eBay.

·
10,445 Posts
The advantage to the thule rack is that it's a bit less expensive, and there are more options for various attatchments.
Like bmw's rack, the same thule rack fits e46's and e39's, so ebay may be worth a try.
Mike

·
Registered
156 Posts
Is it easy to fit Thule accessories to a BMW cross bar?

I don't want to go BMW and be locked to their accessories...

I understand that it may take a little rigging to get this to work but has anyone tried it? Does it hold up at speed?

Thanks.
--Mike

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The BMW bike rack attaches to the roof bars by the way of an upside down 'T' piece which slides into the roof bars. The long upright piece of the 'T' then bolts down onto the top of the roof bars. Imagine the BMW roof bars in cross section ie a cut through section with the cut being made from the front of the car to rear. The long bit of the 'T' pokes out at twelve and the short bit of the 'T' sits inside the circle of car to rear. The bars are cylindrical with the top part of the circle cut out ~10 to 2 o'clock.

I only use the bars for my BMW bike rack. I shall attempt to attach my photos of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
FWIW, I bought the Thule base rack and put Rocky Mount bike trays on it. It came out a lot cheaper than all Thule. It works great, although I really dont use it that much, especially this time of year.
I mostly MTB and the local trail is down a long dirt road, so I just throw the singlespeed in the back of the pickup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts