BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any advice as far as upgrading the stock sound system in a 2000 E39 M5? I would like to keep the stock stereo itself but possibly upgrade speakers & amp? Hopefully keeping the stock look, speaker enclosures etc. No chotsky stuff. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Spdfreak said:
Does anyone have any advice as far as upgrading the stock sound system in a 2000 E39 M5? I would like to keep the stock stereo itself but possibly upgrade speakers & amp? Hopefully keeping the stock look, speaker enclosures etc. No chotsky stuff. Thanks.
Do an archive search. Lots of information on this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The previous post about searching the archive is really good as there are many folks who've upgraded their stock set up.

I decided to phase my upgrade for cost reasons. Additionally, I wanted to see incremental differences in each phase as well as not doing a full blown replacement of the stock system.

phase 1 - upgrade the stock subwoofers and add an amplifier. This is happening as I type this, so I'll post when I get results. According to many posts, this is the best bang for the audio buck.

Phase 2 - replace the stock speakers with MB quarts or something comparable. I am hoping not to have to add speakers.

Phase 3 - add a dension icelink. Hopefully, they'll have worked out the NAV display bugs by then.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yes.... Do the search! There is a ton of info. there.

I did as Volcan96 did (phase I & II)... new sub's and amp, MB Quart speakes along with NAV MK 4 upgrade and SIRIUS Radio!!!

·
Registered
694 Posts
mr_bock said:
Yes.... Do the search! There is a ton of info. there.

I did as Volcan96 did (phase I & II)... new sub's and amp, MB Quart speakes along with NAV MK 4 upgrade and SIRIUS Radio!!!

Where did you get MKIV DVD and how much was it?

Did you do the install? hmmm

·
Registered
931 Posts
Ocean's M5 said:
Where did you get MKIV DVD and how much was it?

Did you do the install? hmmm
There was the start of a 'group buy' about two months ago. Check with Aleve8 ? I paid $835 for the drive, firmware, and latest map DVD.

The install is a total snap, like less than five minutes. I also did the SIRIUS radio that was also a snap.

Very Happy Driver :wroom: :wroom: :wroom: :wroom: :wroom:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey All.

I've had my car back for 2 days after doing phase 1 of my upgrade (subwoofer) and all I can say is WOW. The sub really helps out the other speakers come alive; now I'm hearing notes in the songs that I only heard thru my headphones. The sub set up is so strong that it's turned down almost all the way (I have a 9 month old baby whose ears I want to keep safe).

The only downside for me is that the subs are about 2 inches longer than stock and take up a little more room. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind.

One last tip: make sure your installer knows what they are doing. If they've never touched a BMW with our set up, look until you find one.

Have a great 4th! :happybirt

·
Registered
193 Posts
volcan96 said:
Hey All.

One last tip: make sure your installer knows what they are doing. If they've never touched a BMW with our set up, look until you find one.

Have a great 4th! :happybirt
Hi Volcan96, who did you use? I am near Mountain View too. Thanks, Jaeger

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jaeger,

I used evolution audio at 571 W. El Camino (650 691-9851). Ask for Simon or Darren. Mention that you read about the install and how happy I was with the work and they *may* give you a good deal.

good luck.

Jaeger said:
Hi Volcan96, who did you use? I am near Mountain View too. Thanks, Jaeger

·
Registered
193 Posts
volcan96 said:
Jaeger,

I used evolution audio at 571 W. El Camino (650 691-9851). Ask for Simon or Darren. Mention that you read about the install and how happy I was with the work and they *may* give you a good deal.

good luck.
Thanks, I will try it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts