BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The coilovers on my M5 are in dire need of replacement and before I pull the trigger and start ordering parts, I wanted to get a consolidated list of the parts I need going since I can't seem to find one anywhere and no one sells everything in one package... :cautious:

As much as I want to go the KW v3 route, it is significantly more expensive than the parts list I've compiled for the Koni Yellow + Dinan spring set. I'm not in it for performance, mostly replacing my blown coilovers and going for comfort without raising the car back to stock ride height. The coilovers are also the simplest as far as additional parts needed

For KW v3s:
- Rear upper shock mounts: 33-52-2-229-854

For shocks/springs:
  • Rear upper shock mounts: 33-52-2-229-854
  • Front strut mount kit: Strut Mount Kit 31331090612, 31331091233, 31331091708
  • Koni Yellow fronts and rears: Koni Yellow set
  • Dinan springs: Dinan Springs
  • Front bump stops: 31331138814 (referenced in another thread for Koni Yellow + Dinan spring set up)
  • Rear bump stops: 33531093094
  • Front rubber boots: 31331093344
  • 540 dust boots to the rear shocks: 31331137932
Is there any other equipment I need for shock/strut replacement?

EDIT: added rubber boots for a complete list

·
Registered
33 Posts
Pretty much got it covered.

You may want to replace the rubber boots on the front: 31331093344

And you can fit 540 dust boots to the rear shocks: 31331137932

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks! Kind of annoying that a package for everything doesn't exist outside of coilovers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, I just replaced all four with Koni Yellow Sports. I'm an OEM+ guy and wanted factory ride and height. I also replaced the spring pads in addition to what you listed. I reused my boots on all four, as they are really durable and I have never found a bad one.

Included a couple of pictures. The rear Konis came set at the mid setting for the lower spriing perch. When I compared physically, and measured the two, I moved them to the lower setting and I am glad I did. Doing so made them exactly the same as the OEM location and would have been 1/2 higher had I not.

Once I drove for about 3 days, the before and after measurements from the ground to the wheel well lip were spot on.

My new-to me M5 had 136K miles, all original, all blown and leaking. Bad.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats! I've had my M5 since 2015 and it's still one of the best all around cars you can get period. There's a wealth of knowledge on the board but honestly my M5 has only left me stranded twice - the first with a blown tire and the second with a deal fuel pump.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So did you make a decision on what you are going to use?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep, ill be going with koni/dinans since i was quoted much cheaper on the parts + labor from the shop i'm going to and i don't track the car so it makes the most sense

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hi, I just replaced all four with Koni Yellow Sports. I'm an OEM+ guy and wanted factory ride and height. I also replaced the spring pads in addition to what you listed. I reused my boots on all four, as they are really durable and I have never found a bad one.

Included a couple of pictures. The rear Konis came set at the mid setting for the lower spriing perch. When I compared physically, and measured the two, I moved them to the lower setting and I am glad I did. Doing so made them exactly the same as the OEM location and would have been 1/2 higher had I not.

Once I drove for about 3 days, the before and after measurements from the ground to the wheel well lip were spot on.

My new-to me M5 had 136K miles, all original, all blown and leaking. Bad.

View attachment 952493 View attachment 952494 View attachment 952495
Heck those puppies have a few more miles on them o_O

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interesting, I’ve never thought of doing this. Does anyone know why the m5 didn’t come with dust boots for the rear shocks? At least I didn’t think they did…
The only reason I figured this out was in my search for the bump stop part numbers, and somebody was talking about how the M-Sport II suspension option for 540i's was the same as M5's, but the only difference being the dust boot. So I just put two and two together.

The wiper seal on the shock should be enough - but it can't hurt.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks, Oz_Smokey. I’ll give this a shot! I’m on the verge of rebuilding all my suspension (have all the parts, just waiting to throw them on), so I’ll grab a pair of these and see how they fit.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all, I edited the original post to have a nice consolidated list. Super helpful info for anyone else looking to replace everything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts