1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Daaayum!! That is too cool! Harry, great first pass. Looks like she hooked up nicely!

I was really looking forward to seeing how the S3 performed this week. Ray, she looks/sounds very well dialed in. Pulling like a monster at the top end! :thumbsup:

Love the first still photo of the S3 facing the camera... lovelove

Thanks for pulling this together guys! :goldcup: Keep us posted on your next outing! :applause:

Dave

·
Registered
606 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong ... but shouldn't S3's be trapping more than 122mph?

How much power are you S3 guys putting down? I would think you guys should be trapping closer to 130, no?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct me if I'm wrong ... but shouldn't S3's be trapping more than 122mph?

How much power are you S3 guys putting down? I would think you guys should be trapping closer to 130, no?
here we go again ouich

read my post again carefully

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Congrats on the times!!!

but soon as I shifted into 2nd the clutch started slipping
Is that a stock clutch or a different one? If different, who's and part number?

Also, how is the Guibo holding up under hole shot conditions??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,958 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on the times!!!

Is that a stock clutch or a different one? If different, who's and part number?

Also, how is the Guibo holding up under hole shot conditions??

Thanks!!
it was a Dinan S3 spec clutch, v12 dual mass steel flywheel with a Luk clutch and reworked by Dinan I believe, the funny thing is the pressure plate had a Mercedes logo on it, you can read more and see pics here
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112452&page=9

the flex disc and the tranny mounts are holding up fine, we inspected them when we pulled the old clutch out, I try to avoid wheellhop as much as possibleand Im running 31psi so that helps also

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tires are fine, they feel a litle funny when you get back on the street because of all the burned rubber stuck to them but as soon as you drive for 5-10 minutes they are back to normal

taking offers now, highest bidder wins :1:

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
So when is the next foray??? Let's see how that UUC clutch holds up to rompin stompin 'I-never-break-anything' lead foot Harry....:7:
D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
waiting for Ray to break in the clutch in NYC traffic, then if everything is well we will give it the ultimate test at the track,
so far Ray loves the UUC clutch

·
Registered
931 Posts
so far Ray loves the UUC clutch
Which UUC clutch are you going to? I have the Ultra-Smooth CeraMetalic in my car. It seems to grab and bit very strongly. I did a 1st gear 5 mph rolling punch-it-to-the-floor. I got a lot of wheel hop in 1st, rpm's came up so quick that I shifted to second in the red zone. Then I got so much vibration up the shift lever in second that I thought I missed the gear. No miss-shift, more wheel hop and vibration. Later that day under moderate accelleration, I would get the vibration. All smooth at cruseing speed. I started to smell some rubber. I but the car on the lift... the flex disk looks like there were hot spots on the metal disk at each bolt location. I have not taken it out yet for a closer inspection, but I did order a new one. Seems that you strengthen one point and another point lets go.

Good luck with the UUC and at the track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Which UUC clutch are you going to? I have the Ultra-Smooth CeraMetalic in my car. It seems to grab and bit very strongly. I did a 1st gear 5 mph rolling punch-it-to-the-floor. I got a lot of wheel hop in 1st, rpm's came up so quick that I shifted to second in the red zone. Then I got so much vibration up the shift lever in second that I thought I missed the gear. No miss-shift, more wheel hop and vibration. Later that day under moderate accelleration, I would get the vibration. All smooth at cruseing speed. I started to smell some rubber. I but the car on the lift... the flex disk looks like there were hot spots on the metal disk at each bolt location. I have not taken it out yet for a closer inspection, but I did order a new one. Seems that you strengthen one point and another point lets go.

Good luck with the UUC and at the track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks,
I think it is the ultra -smooth CeraMetalic also but with a pucked disk, so far Ray says it feels fine but no hard accelaration tests yet, have to break it in nice and smoothly

·
Registered
7,542 Posts

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Ray/Harry - Any idea how much the car weighs with the S3 hardware?

D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
with 1/2 tank of gas it was 4,020 at Englishtown's scale(NHRA approved),
my car for comparison was 3,921 with about 1/3 tank of fuel

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
with 1/2 tank of gas it was 4,020 at Englishtown's scale(NHRA approved),
my car for comparison was 3,921 with about 1/3 tank of fuel
Weight... er, wait... what about all the junk in Ray's trunk? :hihi:

Let see, if your beast is stock, and Ray's car would have had about 20 lbs more fuel (assuming 6.2 lb/gal), the S3 weighs only about 80lbs more than a stock beast. Not bad. The weight of the s/c & cooler hardware being offset somewhat by the weight savings of the lighter wheels, brakes, and exhaust.

Dave

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well I also have lighter wheels, brakes and my exhaust set up is much lighter than Ray's, so I think the difference is about 100lbs

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Impressive Driving!

Very nice Harry!...you should give lessons....
Now that the S3's prowess in a straight line has been established....how about we bring it to a road course Ray???.....say Thunderbolt in NJ...or the Glen???...I would love to see how the car handles all that amazing power when the weight gets shifted. Did you get new dyno numbers after MWW addressed the earlier issues with the car??...
How that car pulls not from the dig but from mid-range is impressive...it just walked away from the E60.
Anybody going to the Autoshow Sat.???...hope to see some guys there.
Regards
S

1 - 20 of 72 Posts