BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So yes I have read and read and read on this over and no clogging or bad WP or TS.... but I did remove my clutch fan and replaced with an electric 16" fan

on my track day I was running a little warm 3/4 till hot then I would slow down so 20 sec and back to normal....... sooo..... i flushed system.. and used water wetter, bled properly , and swapped fans (to electronic)...... seemed it was working good till today... my front condenser fan comes on and stays on when warm..

I feel as if the electric fan is maybe too weak? From what I remember it is a 2145 (something like that )fan that it pushes/pulls.

So put clutch fan back on? Orrrrr?

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
So yes I have read and read and read on this over and no clogging or bad WP or TS.... but I did remove my clutch fan and replaced with an electric 16" fan

on my track day I was running a little warm 3/4 till hot then I would slow down so 20 sec and back to normal....... sooo..... i flushed system.. and used water wetter, bled properly , and swapped fans (to electronic)...... seemed it was working good till today... my front condenser fan comes on and stays on when warm..

I feel as if the electric fan is maybe too weak? From what I remember it is a 2145 (something like that )fan that it pushes/pulls.

So put clutch fan back on? Orrrrr?

Is that a temp in street highway driving? If highway, something is amiss. I don't even see those temps in the Florida heat.

At highway speeds, oncoming air rams through faster than your fan can pull/push air. Water and oil affect each other as they go through the cooler, which uses oil heat to warm up the water when cold. So check oil also, although those temps don't look quite as bad.

For track, more water and less coolant allows for a better medium to dissipate heat. So consider 80/20 for the track after you check the system. Are you sure your water pump is up to snuff? How did you test the WP? I assume you have confirmed hoses in good shape and no blockage there.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Reactions: jamiepeers

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that a temp in street highway driving? If highway, something is amiss. I don't even see those temps in the Florida heat.

At highway speeds, oncoming air rams through faster than your fan can pull/push air. Water and oil affect each other as they go through the cooler, which uses oil heat to warm up the water when cold. So check oil also, although those temps don't look quite as bad.

For track, more water and less coolant allows for a better medium to dissipate heat. So consider 80/20 for the track after you check the system. Are you sure your water pump is up to snuff? How did you test the WP? I assume you have confirmed hoses in good shape and no blockage there.

Regards,
Jerry

This is stuck in traffic temps..that has me thinking that the electric fan is too weak?? M.. As soon as I start going down the road (or turn off AC ) it drops down to 95-96°C with is good... on the hwy it goes down to 92°C in this hot weather.. sometime a tad cooler.... water pump was replaced last year with radiator and TS.....i will deff do that for the track

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
You need an engine oil cooler, I stopped tracking in August after running into similar issue. In my case the track temp was 112F and KTemp shot up to 109C even after a cool down lap. If you're tracking the car hard in hot weather, it will happen.

Reactions: bikerj11

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need an engine oil cooler, I stopped tracking in August after running into similar issue. In my case the track temp was 112F and KTemp shot up to 109C even after a cool down lap. If you're tracking the car hard in hot weather, it will happen.
ya.. After about 2 hard laps in 96° weather I would get 3/4 hot.. then I would slow down and cool off almost instantly. .. i was also low on coolant... lol..so now I'm making sure that's all good with water and water watter. ..... more concerned and my traffic temp issues with the electric fan or put back on clutch fan if that's the issue?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Put the fan clutch fan back on and see what happens. Odds are that the electric fan is not moving enough air.

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Ignoring the track, if everything works well except in traffic, basic system is OK. I would think fan and/or fan shroud. You are not getting enough air to the rad at slow speeds. Is it a pusher or puller fan? Polarity correct (is it spinning in the right direction)?

I would not track this car in the dead of summer without an oil cooler. Even if the rad is working OK, you are generating more heat than the stock system can dissipate. Oil cooler will help take pressure off of the water being heated by the oil.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ignoring the track, if everything works well except in traffic, basic system is OK. I would think fan and/or fan shroud. You are not getting enough air to the rad at slow speeds. Is it a pusher or puller fan? Polarity correct (is it spinning in the right direction)?

I would not track this car in the dead of summer without an oil cooler. Even if the rad is working OK, you are generating more heat than the stock system can dissipate. Oil cooler will help take pressure off of the water being heated by the oil.

Regards,
Jerry

Ya Global Time Attack is mid September so hope temps drop some. Guess I'll try putting back on the clutch fan ( had no traffic issues b4) and see how it goes! Just don't want a clutch fan blowing up on me at the track being in high revs :/...oh and yes they are spinning in right direction ( learned that real fast) hahaha

·
Registered
470 Posts
Had similar problem... tracking in 90F and overheating. Radiator vanes were clogged with a combination of bugs/leaves and road debris. Wound up replacing the radiator completely and she ran normal there after.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update..... So i took out the electric fan today and put back in my clutch fan.. tested fan and go figure, I can stop it with my hand and spin it when warm... (ordered new clutch) I left it on and drove all day..obo says 103°F out side.... car sat right at 93°95°C in traffic... So even with the bad clutch fan it's cool. Should be great when new one comes in. As for the track I think I'll be ok this time around seeing that I cleaned out all the leaves and BS, top off fluids and water wetter. ....

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can I pause for a moment and laugh at the rush of folks to "upgrade" to an electric fan in order to.... uh, wait, I dunno...why do they do it?

Sorry.

I did it cause I don't want a clutch flan blowing up on me during competition. .. but seeing I just ordered new clutch fan I should be good :cheers:

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
With the electric fan, if your shroud didn't fit properly to channel/direct the air, that would also lead to hotter than norm temps.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Can I pause for a moment and laugh at the rush of folks to "upgrade" to an electric fan in order to.... uh, wait, I dunno...why do they do it?

Sorry.
Exactly! The clutch fan doesn't do anything until the electric aux fan is overloaded and then it steps in and does an excellent job of moving air.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Update..... So i took out the electric fan today and put back in my clutch fan.. tested fan and go figure, I can stop it with my hand and spin it when warm... (ordered new clutch) I left it on and drove all day..obo says 103°F out side.... car sat right at 93°95°C in traffic... So even with the bad clutch fan it's cool. Should be great when new one comes in. As for the track I think I'll be ok this time around seeing that I cleaned out all the leaves and BS, top off fluids and water wetter. ....
So your clutch fan is working like it should. It doesn't engage until the air coming out of the rad is 95C, and then it controls KTMP in the 90 to 95C range. The new one wont make any difference.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So your clutch fan is working like it should. It doesn't engage until the air coming out of the rad is 95C, and then it controls KTMP in the 90 to 95C range. The new one wont make any difference.

Damn really? From everything I read: if I can stop the fan with my hand at operating temps then it's bad.......???? I was able to stop it and spin it in opposition direction. ...:confused:

·
Registered
4,488 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts