BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya - first post and all so hello :byee55amg and apologies for asking something that's probably been asked a hundred billion times previously :3: but I couldn't find a suitable search string that gave me the answer I was looking for!

I'm about to (well, if all goes well) swap my beloved but enormously impractical Lotus for a 1999 M5 which, whilst being very well specced, doesn't have built in TV and sat nav. I have gleaned the info that suggests a retro-fit is possible but I'm lacking 1. a list of part numbers, and 2. how much I'm probably looking at to get it done.

In reality I'm not so fussed about the sat nav as I'll probably get a Tom Tom unit anyhow, it's the TV I'm really after!

So - any help gratefully received by a newbie :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Check out bimmernav.com. All your questions are answered there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Welcome!

I am sure you'll love the M5...

off the top of my head to retro fit nav etc you will need atleast:

Screen either 4:3 or 16:9 (later is more expensive)
Nav computer MK2 to 4 (4 DVD and the last installed - expensive)
Boot mounted radio unit
TV module, aerials etc
Full nav wiring loom with or without DSP (each loom is different depending on the spec supplied from new)
Brackets for mounting nav\tv and radio in the boot.

You'll need most of this for TV so may aswell install the nav computer. Some of the early 4:3 TV modules would drive the screen directly but later 16:9 variants can't (removed due to cost)

If you are doing just for the TV... probably not worth wasting the time and money on... it ain't great, doesn't work in motion unless modded and the picture is very poor at the best of times...

Not sure if BMW still offer the full retrofit kit... but expect it to be expensive!
The parts from the dealer: Screen, nav computer around £1500 ea, TV module & radio £600 ea I think it was around £3500 as an option from new.

Most of the bits come up on ebay, but do watch out as much of the stuff has been bought on the cheap from German ebay and punted over here for great profit and doesn't work. My rule of thum is if it says untested treat it as meaning broken. Guaranteed working\tested items go for alot more...

The last full one I saw on UK ebay was going for £1250, this was a complete MKII with 4:3 screen and did include everything, DSP, CD etc

It works out cheaper to buy an M5 with it already installed or just fit an aftermarket system which by todays standard is probably far superior but not OE look.

To fit is pretty much an interior out experience, but can be done in around a day with the help of a few friends and is pretty much plug'n'play.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The complete kit shows up on ebay every now and then.. I think the last time I saw it they were trying to sell it for about 2000 euro.

Also might be worth giving your details to some breakers, eventually one will get a car that has it that you could get the gear our of

·
Registered
1,325 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Rampage said:
Even though it claims... its from a E90/E60/E65 and will not fit the E39 or E46 (DOH!)... it will have the new BUS interface called MOST instead of IBUS and aren't compatible...

This is what I mean about watching what people state on ebay auctions...
Yes I know .. sorry .. I was merely pointing it out as this is an example of complete kits that do come up on ebay from time to time, rather than this as an appropriate one to purchase (as you say it would not work anyway)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts