BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know the part numbers or the sizes of the bearings that are in the diff of an 03 e39 m5? as my pinion bearing is starting to cry that its not happy anymore. is there is any cross reference part from some other manufacturer like skf bearings if there is no parts avaliable from the dealer? any info who be great

thanks guys

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The diff is technicially a non-service part. I asked similar questions a few months back. Basically you need to take it apart and get the numbers off the bearings in it... I know it ties things up longer, but that was the better of the advice I received. I already bought all the seals and gasket, just need to tear it apart this spring to get bearings and a crush sleeve. I think VantaaM5 posted some links in my old post.... Do a quick search.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies but 15 is not what im looking for its the bearing sets for the diff and pinion them self. it also cant be non serviceable. i know that bmw wants to sell it as a complete unit. i am just looking for some one who may have the number or sizes of the bearings on hand from doing the job already. as i would really like to be able to re and re it over a weekend as my m5 is my daily driver.

·
Registered
638 Posts
These are Timken part numbers.

Inner Pinion Bearing HM803149
Inner Pinion Race HM803110
Outer Pinion Bearing HM89448
Outer Pinion Race HM89410
Differential Carrier Bearing JLM104948
Differential Carrier Race JLM104910

Your local Timken supplier should have these. I believe they cost me ~ $150 when I rebuilt my last diff. .
The seals you will have to buy from BMW.

·
Registered
431 Posts
thanks, my diff has an annoying whine from about 45 up to 55mph, especially in 6th gear, then the rest of the car noise probably drowns it out after that, needs doing sometime so much appreciated!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks again 2010Rph would you also happen to know the pinion preload and ring gear lash setup info aswell as the torque spec?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If our diff's are set up similar to a Ford/GM, and you are not replacing the gears, then you won't need to set the lash. Usually this is accomplished with shims. The bearing preload is important, and I would also like to know that figure, as well as the bearing cap torque spec. Does anyone have a part number and source for the crush sleeve?

Not trying to hijack post, just add to it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no worries technician117 im looking for the same answers that you are. and i know for sure the pinion bearing preload was not set right when the dinan gear set was installed as i have put only 38,000 km on the rear end since and its screaming

·
Registered
638 Posts
Here is a post I made a few years back. Non the less, be sure to measure this specs before you tear your diff apart that way you can ensure you are within original specs when you put it back together
2010Rph said:
<table id="post17773513" class="tborder" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_17773513" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(102, 102, 102);"> Ok here are some numbers. Note all these pertain to a 210mm diff.

Backlash
Before the rebuild my backlash was at 0.0045. Metric recommend 0.003-0.0035, TIS recommends 0.0024-0.0055 I went with 0.0040.

Pinion preload
My stock PP was 15 inlbs with a the seal in place. MM recommends 14-16 inlbs, TIS recommends 12-23 inlbs (Timken bearings) I went with 15 inlbs using timken bearings. This was measured with the pinion seal off.

Carrier preload
My stock CP was 11 inlbs. MM recommends 9-11 inlbs, TIS recommends 11-23 inlbs, I went with 11 inlbs

I cant seem to find the torque specs I used for the various bolts. I will update if I find them.

I used new timken bearings. If you need the part numbers I can dig those up as well.

Finally the gear pattern was checked be and after the rebuild and it was acceptable on both occasions
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(102, 102, 102) rgb(102, 102, 102); border-width: 0px 1px 1px;">
</td> <td class="alt1" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(102, 102, 102) rgb(102, 102, 102) -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" align="right">
</td></tr></tbody></table><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
one last question i can't seem to find any information or part number for the crush washer that is in between the two pinion bearings does anyone knows the part number and where i can order one?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Awsome! finally an answer to that nagging question!

Thanks here too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts