BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
This may have been covered before but I could search for hours on this forum
I Have an E39 M5 (forgot to add that my E39 M5 is a December 2000 model with 110k and is the 4.9 V8) and it seems to have gotten louder on start up since I've bought it. Have it about a year and a half now. I've had the Vanos Solenoids done, replaced air flow metres amongst the rest of other niggly bits that commonly go. I know E39 M5 are initially loud on start up but this is louder but goes away after a couple seconds, also doesn't happen when the car heats up and its turned off and restarted. Basically strange on first start of the day and then again if i leave it to cool and go out say an hour later does it again for couple of seconds and away it goes. The car i noticed was a bit of cylinder there last week and reported from diagnostic, the only error being; A CAMSHAFT POSITION TIMING OVER ADVANCED OR SYSTEM PERFORMANCE - P0011 (WHICH IN AUTODATA RELATES TO INTAKE CAM SENSOR LEFT FRONT BANK 1). I'm assuming this is another issue because being loud/raspy on startup couldn't relate to this, or maybe i'm wrong?

Please help me out as this is really beginning to frustrate me

I've just got the car ready for MOT including new droplinks/bushes all rounds and rear anti roll bar brackets, also changed the oil to which didn't need changing and nothing unusual dropped from oil pan. Tomorrow im going to try switching the vanos solenoids from one to the other? is it really important to torque screws to proper Nm and if so why/why not?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
798 Posts
You should post a video with sounds of the noise; it's the only way to narrow down the possibilities. But I'll bite--is it coming right from underneath the plenum? Or does it sound like a jet turbine at startup?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Yep, the noise will help, have you had chain tensioners done with 'the usual niggly bits that go'? From what you say, I'm suspecting something like chain stretch or tensioners (or a combo of both), the little hydraulic one commonly causes a noise. Watch me be a mile off the right answer :)

And...er, yes, it's important to torque screws, and any fastener, to the right torque, a) so it doesn't fall out and b) so it doesn't strip any threads. ;)

Enough oil in the beast also?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds more like clatter noise, it is definitely hard to explain, i know the usual roar for a couple of seconds on start up but this is louder. i won't get a chance to get video till saturday as im an engineer and away with work at the moment. Very disheartening but these cars come with issues. any ideas at all?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
feeblebob, just off the phone to the mechanic, i was just looking at all options. He said the vanos solenoid document that I gave him from DrVanos was followed to correct torquing, was just wondering if the covers for solenoids was too tight would it make a big difference. The chain tensioners I haven't changed personally, but most definitely will if it could be the problem

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Wouldn't have thought the VANOS covers being too tight would cause a noise as such, as they are covering the circuit boards containing the solenoids, so it's not as if they'd be rubbing on something....if that's what you mean. Unless you can see something rubbing on the outside....but I think we're moving off the point perhaps.

By no means am I saying it is the tensioners, someone more knowledgeable will be along soon no doubt, but worth considering. The hydraulic tensioner is a fairly simple DIY, and not massively expensive, whereas the others aren't cheap and require more of a strip-down to get to. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...n/150042-chain-tensioner-change-diy-pics.html for the hydraulic one :) Have a look at the DIY as to where it is and see if the sound is coming from that area.

Is this something that started occurring after any particular bit of work or maintenance?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think its essential for me now to get the noise recorded and from there see where to go, as it can be an expensive habit picking and choosing to get the correct solution. Thankyou for links.

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
Hard to tell based on the description, but if it only lasts a couple of seconds when cold, I would suspect VANO's. The oil pressure is bleeding down overnight. Early cars (99 and 00) had an accumulator added (at least in the U.S. for 00, under warranty if the owner complained) which prevented the bleed down. Most people describe it as a "dieseling" sound. Once the oil pressure builds back up, the noise is gone.

Your auxiliary air pump sounds more like a jet engine on takeoff, and will last a couple of minutes, so that is out. It could be an exhaust manifold leak, but that usually takes longer than a couple of seconds to heat everything to expand and eliminate the leak. With a friend, if you can isolate the location of the sound, that would help the armchair diagnosis.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is there any way to rule out vanos? i had the solenoids and o ring kit fitted etc, helped the jerky problem i was getting. I most definitely will record the sound on sunday and post it up as im away till sat evening with work

·
Registered
227 Posts
new 2000 m5 owner

is there any thing i should know about problems with the 2000 m5.or any good after market parts to put on would be a great help....george

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
The symptom sounds like issue with the oil pressure accumulator for the Vanos, part #13 here: RealOEM.com   BMW E39 M5 VANOS CYLINDER HEAD MOUNTING PARTS. Technically, in December 2000, BMW fixed this "start-up" noise with a redesigned accumulator, but I've seen 2003 with the same noise on cold start up. It goes away after warm up, and does not affect performance. Some people have come to refer to this as the signature M engine noise.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
forgot to add that my E39 M5 is a December 2000 model with 110k and is the 4.9 V8
Good information to know but FYI and future reference all E39 M5's had the 4.9L V8.

Good luck! I hope the board can help you through this.

-Josiah

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Wait a minute. Isn't P0011 a camshaft position sensor???? Why wouldn't you fix it?

Also, I could see a transient exhaust CPS causing blatty/throaty/raspy exhaust note...

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
By all means, I was only trying to put something forward for the information that was there, was assuming VANOS OK being as it had just been refurb'd, a big assumption. Agreed, the noise itself will help. :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ard, I have the part ordered, yes it relates to camshaft sensor on intake left front bank 1.

I'm hoping this will sort out the issue that I am having!

Anyone got a DIY link to replacing this camshaft sensor as i'm sure it's not too difficult?

Feeblebob I also appreciate all of your help on this matter, keep the ideas coming.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Wait a minute. Isn't P0011 a camshaft position sensor???? Why wouldn't you fix it?

Also, I could see a transient exhaust CPS causing blatty/throaty/raspy exhaust note...
+1 always you seem to have the right answer. ;)

Just to add I have the same accumulator as the OP. As I corrected all my vanos problems mine got louder on start up. My guess is once the solenoids are serviced the oil pressure leaks out easier over night. Other than the noise there is nothing wrong with this if only on start up.

·
4,395 Posts
Ard, I have the part ordered, yes it relates to camshaft sensor on intake left front bank 1.

I'm hoping this will sort out the issue that I am having!

Anyone got a DIY link to replacing this camshaft sensor as i'm sure it's not too difficult?

Feeblebob I also appreciate all of your help on this matter, keep the ideas coming.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/184940-do-yourself-diy-guidepost.html

CPS Exhaust:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/121941-whews-finally-replace-cps-exhaust-bank-2-cyl-5-8-a.html

not hard at all

you'll need

1-Allen Wrench 5MM i think
2-Anti-seize

difficulty varies with each CPS

1 - 20 of 22 Posts