BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
Pip said:
ttboyvanc,
Now that we are in October what has been the overall result in your oil consumption since you had that work done on your beast?
Pip
Still pretty bad, a liter every 750-1000 km's. I have taken it back to the indie place, going to give them one more chance to see if they can correct it.

Thanks Mike,

I ask because my first oil change was after 7,000 miles (from 25k - 32k). Presuming that it is one liter from the top hash mark to the lower hash mark, it had burned only .75 liters (added no oil).

Since that oil change, it has been 3,000 miles - and slightly harder overall driving. It has already burned .75 ltrs. Yesterday I drove about 200 miles (up to Clear Lake), very hard driving (revs > 4000 a lot) and when I got home the oil level is right down to the lower hash mark.

I feel better now knowing that it is "expected" to burn a bit of oil when driven hard...

I'll be adding a quart today before I go for a drive cherrsagai .

Paul

You're using 5w30 bmw longlife synth right? I think that's pretty normal use with that oil. (i.e. none for the 'normal drive' and a little for harder street use).
Mike

pkarmouche said:
Thanks Mike,

I ask because my first oil change was after 7,000 miles (from 25k - 32k). Presuming that it is one liter from the top hash mark to the lower hash mark, it had burned only .75 liters (added no oil).

Since that oil change, it has been 3,000 miles - and slightly harder overall driving. It has already burned .75 ltrs. Yesterday I drove about 200 miles (up to Clear Lake), very hard driving (revs > 4000 a lot) and when I got home the oil level is right down to the lower hash mark.

I feel better now knowing that it is "expected" to burn a bit of oil when driven hard...

I'll be adding a quart today before I go for a drive cherrsagai .

Paul

mottati said:
You're using 5w30 bmw longlife synth right? I think that's pretty normal use with that oil. (i.e. none for the 'normal drive' and a little for harder street use).
Mike
Right. That's what's on the sticker under the hood, and that's what Sonnen used at the oil change. Thanks Mike, I'm glad to know I'm "normal".

BTW, 1qt. brought me right up to the top hash mark.

Paul

I don't want to offend anybody, but I am having trouble figuring out why so many folks get fired up about what they consider excessive oil consumption. When I purchased my Porsche 911 (in 1966), I was appalled at the expected oil consumption as listed in the Owner's Manual (One qt. every 300 to 400 mi. is normal - and that's what I got - and still get at 53,000 miles.).

It is clear to me that the oil consumption on my M5 varies with how hard it is driven. Sometimes a qt. every 3,000 mi. and sometimes a qt. every 500 mi.

I don't feel comfortable accepting high oil consumption, BUT ... I bought a performance car, just like the Porsche was in 1966 (I still have it and love it, as I do my M5). I paid $ 80,000 for my M5 (ordered new), and I just replaced my tires at 31,000 miles (threads showing on right rear). AND, THEY ARE EXPENSIVE, TOO! (more than all the oil I will purchase in my lifetime).

I should note that I have three other BMWs (none Ms). All driven "briskly" and all three use almost no oil or maybe a qt. every 4,000 to 5,000 miles. And, I just got rid of my first BMW, a 1980 320i which had 320,000 miles on it and never used an ounce of oil ... and the engine had never been apart.

I own two high performance cars ... each uses what I would consider a lot of oil, but when I "lay the hammer down" I get results ... NOW and beyond - the Porsche has been driven at 132 MPH for over an hour and the M5 many times at 140 MPH, and once at 150 and 153. Man I love 'em ... and when "push comes to shove," oil is cheap ... and, at least in the aircooled Porsche, is doing some good in cooling the engine as it escapes the confines of that marvelous engine. I hope my M5 lasts as long with the same pleasure I receive from the Porsche.

BKH said:
IIRC the Mobil-1 0w-40 is the only formulation that is BMW LL-approved, so that's good enough for me.
Good info.

Thanks,

Mark

gareth said:
David

The oil I ordered is indeed RS10W60, but coudn't see any reference in my handbook other than the grade. May still be worth contacting the Cornwall company, they really were excellent.

Gareth
Gareth

I realise that it has been a long time since you started this thread but....

I called the Castrol UK technical helpline. They were very helpful when I asked if RS 10w60 is the same as TWS 10w60. The advisor said that the spec of RS oil did not meet that of the TWS oil which was specifically for M power engines.

That is a pity as RS is about half the price of the TWS stuff.

He did say that independent retailers such as Halfords should be able to order some oil from their new line called Castrol EDGE which can be found in 10W60 guise and can be ordered specifically for BMW M cars. That will be suitable.

Having just had some more expensive warranty work carried out on my car I would hate to see them squirm out of a warranty claim for any reason. As someone else said, oil is fairly inexpensive in the total cost of running the car.

Hope that this helps.

David

Hi all

I have a 99 with a use of 1 l. pr. 5000 km or les, but the 99 have been known to use oil, and the oil problem of different oil directions in US and Europe i have posted earlier. i have changet older 5 and 6 series with sometimes heavy oil use in to TWS 10/60 oils and sometimes stoped or made it better just by using TWS.

Hi all

I am having very funky oil talks with my oil supplior Castrol. I think there is a problem in the world to day, well there might be more. But when you look at castrol UK, DE, SE and DK you have the Edge product in UK and SE, but not in DE and DK - my supplior say that the Edge product are TWS ? well i asked him why do we then have 5 different Edge products and only one TWS in DE they only have RS products and not Edge or TWS and i do not think you will find either of them in the us, remember my erlier oil debate about different oil recomandations in the US and Europe from 0-30 to 10-60 i had BMW in the question chair at that time and basicly it is becourse of different avalibilaty in the US and Europe (not whats best for the engine) - well back to thr oil.
After my question there has been quiret for some time and Castrol UK, SE, DK are same company aswell No and FI i think to.
I will return when i get an answere from them but no wonder the customor are confused.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.