BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

E39 M5 Oil Usage

5K views 52 replies 28 participants last post by  msport 
ALEV8 said:
I have a CHECK ENGINE OIL warning lately, and I noticed my exhaust is stinky and there is a LOT of soot back there in the rear valence and the exhaust tips. Is this normal? I saw a TIS about the warning message though, so what's up? My other E39s never did this. Any thoughts?
Well, have you checked your oil level and filled it up if necessary? Not good to run around with low oil.

For blue (oil) smoke to be visible in a modern car you've got to be burning a lot of it, because at normal high-oil-consumption levels the cats will burn it up.

Sooty exhaust means a rich mixture. Most cars these days run VERY rich at startup, the extra fuel 'overloads' the cats and helps them warm to active temperature quicker. If the car ran that rich all the time the cat substrates would melt.

Other E39s have the exhaust tips pointed down, which probably helps keep exhaust soot off the rear of the car too.

My car burns very little oil, about a liter per 6000mi change. 4/2000 build (post ring/bore change, can use 5W-30) - I run the 10W-60 now anyway, though it's had 5W-30 in it at times and Amsoil 20W-50 once.

My wife's '98 540i burns nothing, at least nothing measurable by dipstick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.