BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

E39 M5 Oil Usage

5K views 52 replies 28 participants last post by  msport 
#1 ·
Recently bought a used M5 with 60k miles on the clock. The car is a 1999 with full main dealer service history.

My problem is, she seems to be using alot of oil, I rekon about 1ltr per 1000 miles. I've had BMWs before & never know anything like this.

There are no drips under the car & no obvious blue smoke out of the exhaust !

Any ideas !! What usage should I expect?

Gareth

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Jordan
Just learning to use this site, now I've found "oil usage" I see what you mean. I have to tell you, 2hours ago I was convinced I'd been sold a real lemon ! still seems excessive to me !

Gareth

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Davido164 said:
I had the same story when i bought mine last year. I reset the odometer everytime I top up. It is using about 1L per 850 miles. The local dealer says that this "is well within acceptable tolerance" and as long as i keep an eye on it, will only act if it "deteriorates significantly". Tolerance is apparently about 1L per 550 miles (according to the dealer!)

As the oil consumption is pretty steady, I just keep a few litres in the car just in case-although at £13.98 per litre of 10W/60 it's not ideal.

Unfortunately you'll probably have to live with it but I certainly notice that it can burn more when being driven hard.

I just keep an eye on it and all the experience on the board suggests that you'd be wise to do likewise!

Enjoy the experience anyway.....

Discussion starter · #18 ·
David
I've just received Castrol 10W60 from a company called OPIE OILS in Cornwall.
4 ltrs for £36.49 including next day delivery. Phone 01209 215164, couldn't be more helpfull.
Gareth

Discussion starter · #21 ·
David

The oil I ordered is indeed RS10W60, but coudn't see any reference in my handbook other than the grade. May still be worth contacting the Cornwall company, they really were excellent.

Gareth

Discussion starter · #26 ·
ttboyvanc said:
Hi, I have a 99 M5, and I was adding a quart every tank almost! I did a lot of reading on here, and currently my M5 is in the shop, getting the oil breather / crankcase valves changed, once I get the car back, I will report as to wether it has helped the oil consumption!

I had read a few posts about them getting clogged, and so the oil just gets burned off instead of being pumped around... Hopefully this works, and I will post my results once it's ready!
Any results since getting the oil breather / crankcase valves changed?

Gareth

Discussion starter · #28 ·
ttboyvanc said:
Hi, I have a 99 M5, and I was adding a quart every tank almost! I did a lot of reading on here, and currently my M5 is in the shop, getting the oil breather / crankcase valves changed, once I get the car back, I will report as to wether it has helped the oil consumption!

I had read a few posts about them getting clogged, and so the oil just gets burned off instead of being pumped around... Hopefully this works, and I will post my results once it's ready!
Any results yet, or have you been on holiday ?

Gareth

:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.